Ropes Course | Teen Ink

Ropes Course

October 17, 2011
By Kylee Mohrfeld BRONZE, Wilton, Iowa
Kylee Mohrfeld BRONZE, Wilton, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

From the top of the hill you can see the thin cables suspended in mid-air between the towering trees. This was the ropes course and I have been dreading this all day. I’m deathly afraid of heights, and thinking about walking across tiny cables makes my stomach uneasy.

After getting geared up the adrenaline in my body kicking in. this didn’t have much of an effect on me because I was still terrified. Everyone before me seemed to fly through the course, and I was not going to be the one person who didn’t try it. This is the moment I’m going to overcome my biggest fear. I just hope in the end it’s worth it.

As I walk one foot after the other across the log tightly grasping onto the two ropes attached to my harness, my body relaxed a little. This was a reassuring feeling. Through most of the course my confidence was soaring and I was moving at a rapid pace. With a smile on my face I thought to myself, “Wow, I’m actually doing this.”

Suddenly there it was. The brick wall I have been trying to push out of my mind, but I was about to crash directly into it. Standing on top of the final platform I was back where I started, terrified and filled with doubt. I wanted nothing more than to be on level ground again. The last obstacle standing between me and safety was one single wire with two large dividers, and of course nothing to hold onto but myself. I moved slowly across the wire toward the dividers. I could feel the bend of the wire under my trembling legs.

Finally I had reached the platform. I had a huge sense of relief because, I was done! The summer staff worker hooked my harness up to the zip line. I jumped off the platform, and the whole way down I thought about how amazing I felt. I stepped outside my comfort zone and challenged my fears. I can’t say I’m not afraid of heights anymore, but for now my list of fears is shrinking.

After younglife camp I realized most of the activities we did were to get you to step outside your comfort zone and trust in God. All I can say about completing the ropes course is I feel great and I can take on anything that is thrown at me.