Woodland Miracle | Teen Ink

Woodland Miracle

October 18, 2011
By Yorkielawyer BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
Yorkielawyer BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~Maya Angelou


Prologue

It was early November and the leaves were crisp colors such as flaming, angered red, calm, relaxed yellow and sierra brown. The full luminescent moon was high up in the sky and the night sky was filled with stars. “Crack, squish.” Animals slowly crawled over branches and squishy leaves and some swiftly went around the forest from tree to tree. They were gathering for a special moment. They went into a lake with the moon’s pale reflection with stars surrounding it upon the water and a gust of dusty wind blew by and caused ripples in the water. In a flash the water engulfed them and the water fell. The animals had transformed into humans. These were no ordinary people. They were the Paquaca tribe, or otherwise known as the people of the water.

The lake was called the Lake of Ognawitta. It was created from a mystical hot spring. It could give the power of transformation if you touched the water on a day of the full moon. If you touch the water during the eclipse, you could get other random powers. The Paquaca people would store that energy into eagle feathers and they would wear those eagle feathers as necessary. A wolf’s howl echoed in the distance. Chief Sammotnette knew immediately that that was his brother, Chief Octanatie of the Sholfeq clan, otherwise known as the wolf clan. Chief Octanatie is also known as “Fast Gray.” Chief Sammotnette is known as “Ferocious Claw.” Chief Sammotnette transformed back into a grizzly bear and bellowed, “BRING IT ON!”























“Roooaaarrrrr!” imitated John McGregory, the tour guide. “That would be what a male grizzly bear would sound like if it was about to attack.” informed John.

“What a goofball.” thought Gregory Foal. At the age of 13, Gregory sure acts like 5. They were hiking up a mountain in Montana. Luckily, there were colossal trees, so they blocked out the sun. Gregory’s hands got sweaty, he wiped his brow with his sleeve, and his feet were aching as if a car ran over them.

They hiked a little further and John commented, “This bridge ahead of us is the legendary Swaying Oak.” I looked at it and it seemed rather humdrum. “It is rumored to be made by the Iroquois Indians.” gossiped John.

“Wow,” Gregory commented sarcastically.

Smiling at Gregory, John said, “It is nice to see some enthusiasm for history in kids.” John’s smile was sort of intimidating.

As they crossed the Swaying Oak, the bridge felt pretty sturdy. They approached the little piece of land that connects the two bridges, the Swaying Oak to another one. John pointed out this amazing oak tree when we got to the piece of land. It stood about twelve feet tall and it had these mysterious carvings on it. The carving almost looks like a war going on between animals. “This oak tree right here is over 1,000 years old.” announced John. “One at a time, the bridge may hold a maximum of three hundred pounds at a time, but just to be safe.” directed John. Gregory decided to go first. He took one step and pressed down. “Screech!” Gregory closely inspected the bridge. There seemed to be cuts and scratched, almost as if a thing with talons or claws used this bridge before.

“Honey, please be careful,” requested his mother. Gregory gripped both sides and started walking across. “Screech, crack.” The bridge almost seemed to groan as he was walking across it. It sure was windy today. The wind kept on slapping him and urging him on. The wind also made the bridge sway. “Snap, crack.” The board he was standing on cracked and broke and his ankle was sprained and stuck. He tugged his leg and cut his leg. A strong wind blew and the bridge swayed violently. John was going to go help, but he was too late. The ropes snapped and Gregory swung to the other end and hit the wall.
Now, Gregory was hanging upside down with the board sticking into his leg. All of a sudden, the bridge fell apart and Gregory was thrown down. His mother just sobbed and gasped. Gregory was knocked out. He had hit three braches and now there was a deep gash down his arm. His head was pounding. A blurry figure appeared above him then he fainted. He woke up in a tent. His arm and ankle were better already. He touched it, it didn’t even hurt! He exited the tent and curiously looked around. He didn’t see anyone. He glanced east. “Wow! The sunrise sure is amazing.” thought Gregory.

“It is good to see that you are healed.” Gregory turned around. It was a Native American!? “I do not mean any harm. Let me introduce myself. I am Chief Sammotnette, you could call me Yurkilg. That is my native name. It means “calm bear.” I am a hunter.”
Later on after breakfast, Yurkilg showed me the healing tent. “You were destined to be here. When you were little, so you might not remember it, you came camping and you walked right into that lake during a lunar eclipse. After I sent you back to your mom and I took away your powers, until you were thirteen. Then they would come back.” Yurkilg was right. Gregory could feel the energy going through him. “That is also why I need your help. To defeat my brother, Chief Octanatie.”


Over the days, Yurkilg had trained Gregory on how to use his powers. Sadly, Yurkilg had lost his powers in the battle with his brother. It was the night before the duel. Gregory had a nightmare that he lost and then Octanatie went after his mom and his friends. He woke up with beads of sweat rolling of his forehead. It was early morning and it was time for the battle.

Gregory and Yurkilg cautiously approached the woods. In a moment Chief Octanatie or Orata was standing there and glaring. Orata transformed into a wolf. Yurkilg transformed into a bear. Gregory turned into a wolverine. All three clashed and the fighting began. Gregory got cut in the arm and Yurkilg threw Orata aside.
Gregory took a slash at Orata and Orata bit his arm. Yurkilg roared and attacked. Orata ducked to the side and scratched at Yurkilg’s chest. Orata had penetrated it. Yurkilg morphed back and his face was pale. There was a bloody gash across Yurkilg’s chest. Blood formed a river. Gregory couldn’t believe it. Gregory turned back to Orata and barked, “That is it.” He struck at Orata’s face and stomach. Gregory struck Orata all the way into a pile of rocks and the rocks collapsed upon Orata. Gregory panted and transformed into a bear and picked up Yurkilg. He went back to camp. His eyes burned and teardrops fell on Yurkilg’s chest. Gregory dropped him into the healing tent and stood there for 6 hours. Then he left a note to everyone and he left. Yurkilg had told Gregory a route to get back and he went back.

“This oak tree right here is over 1,000 years old.”

“What happened,” thought Gregory. He saw the tree and the carvings were gone. “That’s strange.” Thought Gregory. “Ummm, John, do you know anything about a tribe called the Paquaca?”

“No, I don’t. Why?

“Nothing.” replied Gregory. “Mom can we go home now? I’m tired.





















Afterward

One year later, Gregory still remembered all that happened, but he has told no one of his adventure. “Knock, knock, knock!” Gregory opened the door and he was shocked at this. “Yurkilg, I thought you were dead!”

“Me too! I guess you truly are powerful. Remember your tears? They had healed me. I had never seen anything like it before.” explained Yurkilg. Gregory and Yurkilg smiled and they heard a faint howl.

The author's comments:
This is one of my earlier writting pieces.