All I Want for Christmas | Teen Ink

All I Want for Christmas

September 29, 2011
By Sam Zack BRONZE, Greenwich, Connecticut
Sam Zack BRONZE, Greenwich, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Police Officer Victor Gates loved Christmas, he loved seeing the smiles on his son’s and daughter’s face when they opened their presents. He especially couldn’t wait for his shift to be over, so he can go home and re-live memories of the past. However, Gates made a vehicle stop that might allow him to never see his children, or the light of day again.

He was on Mason Street, coming up on Plantwell Avenue on his way back to headquarters, when he spotted something out of the ordinary. A black Cadillac Escalade made an illegal U-turn, into the other lane, and the driver was driving frantically, obviously higher than the speed limit. Gates made a 3-point turn with his vehicle and got behind the vehicle about a quarter mile down the road. He ran the plate and it came up stolen, as of three days prior.

He lit up the Escalade and it promptly pulled over, unusual for that to happen. Gates notified headquarters of his position and stepped out of the car. The vehicle had heavy tints, well above the legal tint percentage, making it almost useless to try looking in. The driver put down his window as Gates approached. Gates walked towards the passenger side of the vehicle, grabbing hold of his Sig P226, ready for immediate action. The passenger window rolled down and Gates heard someone from inside the vehicle exclaim, “You better run for your life, copper!” Gates pulled out his weapon and ordered everyone in the car to put their hands within his sight. He pushed the push-to-talk button on the radio, but didn’t get a chance to say anything.

The passenger open fired a revolver, sending Gates running to his car to grab cover, and his MP5. He never thought he’d have to use that. He pressed the release and grabbed the assault rifle, but he looked up and saw the vehicle getting into gear. “THEY’RE ON THE MOVE! SHOTS FIRED! I’M IN PURSUIT!” he yelled into the radio, getting back into the driver’s seat and pursuing the Escalade. The chase didn’t go far, as the vehicle came into a collision three blocks away. Three men got out from the Escalade and started open firing; not just at the officer, but at everyone.

Gates saw another unit coming from behind him; relieved help was on the way. Gates had the shot for the one with the revolver, but he didn’t want to take the chance of shooting a civilian. Sergeant Thomas Ruger arrived on scene, and shot one of the males who pointed a Glock at him, after several attempts to advise him to drop his weapon. The second male reached into the vehicle and grabbed an AK47, aiming it at both officers. Even before he can pull the trigger, both Gates and Ruger fired and he was down. The third male was running away now, looking for anywhere to hide. All other units started to arrive in the area, setting a perimeter.

The male ran into a Subway restaurant and locked himself in the bathroom. Gates and Ruger both ran into the store, and everyone was running out. The manager told them of the third man’s location. Police announced they were there, and heard a shot fired. They kicked in the door and found the man had taken his own life. Gates and Ruger were happy no officers were killed, and knew that this would be one Christmas they would never forget.

Gates returned to his unit to find a text from his wife asking when he was coming home. “Not tonight, babe, not tonight.” Victor was on scene till midnight, finishing his report around 7 the next morning. He realized he had the 7am-3pm shift, and he wouldn’t be home till afternoon. Ruger came in, looked at Victor. “It’s the day after Christmas; get the h*ll out of here! I’ll fill in for you today”