Meet Me by the Seashore This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This isn’t the life I planned - it’s not the end I anticipated, either.

I look down at the seashell, the last tangible hope I have. Everything else has been lost. The skin on the back of my neck prickles as the solemn bong of the clock brings his presence closer.

I cannot stop the inevitable, and I cannot control fate. I was a fool to think I could.

There are footsteps outside of the door, and the last sad bong of the clock fades away. He’s there; I can feel him, with his cold eyes and calm smile, as if there were no door and he stood in front of me. The tension crackles in the air, and I ready myself to face death.

Hours ... minutes ... seconds ... the last noises of life blend into the sweet, empty bliss of ignorance. For a shining moment, it’s quite okay to release everything. It’s all right for my heart to leap with joy at the fact that it will all be over soon. For a second, I let go of trouble.

A chuckle outside the church; my eyes fly open and I feel sick with dread. Without warning, the door smashes in. Splinters of wood and metal scraps hail down on me as I crouch like hardened rain. I shriek, dropping to my knees and wrapping my arms around my legs in a pathetic attempt to defend myself. It’s like trying to defend my past decisions. There is no point in trying to hide anymore. Only the last sane part of me dares to dream of escape.

He steps in, his smile bitter and dangerous. The dim white light pools at his feet, and he emerges from the fog. His slender figure is silhouetted against the dank gray of the outside world (which seems to have stopped) and he asks sweetly, “What’s this, darling?” I grip the shell - miraculously still whole - as I look up at him, my insides churning with horror.

“Are you afraid of death?” he coos, dragging a finger down the side of my face. He sounds almost amused by my fear. Is this a natural question for him to ask his prey? I would ask, but I fear he would cut out my tongue. Instead, I shake my head, trying to wish him away. It’s about as effective as trying to bite a flying bullet. He steps back, extending a youthful, willowy hand. His face is suddenly stern, as if he were not pleased with my answer. I keep my eyes on his hand, his fingernails painted the forbidden color. With a sinking feeling, I realize there is nothing this man won’t do.

I look from his hand to his eyes, and then back. He stares at me patiently, his face unreadable. I shake my head, moving my gaze. I’m afraid if I stare into those eyes for too long, the forbidden color will melt into me.

“You have no choice,” he quietly reminds me, his hand extended and waiting. I nod, climbing to my feet to stand on shaky knees. I take one wobbly step, then another. I don’t want to stand this close to him, but I have no choice. I cautiously reach out a hand, wondering if his flesh will sear mine with the heat of sin or damnation. In a fluid movement, he slips his fingers around my wrist; he’s strong for a man his size. He wraps an arm around my waist and hisses, “Sleep ....”

ZoyaaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:40 am:
It hooked me in and kept my attention till the very last word. Very eerie, very thought provoking, absolutely wonderful! Thank you for posting :)

Anxette said...
Feb. 15 at 3:48 pm:
OMG this is insanely good. 

BirdsingerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The descriptions are so vivid that I feel like I am right beside your narrator. The ending leaves shivers running up and down my spine--if you ever wrote a sequel I would read it in an instant!

Asher15 said...
Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:10 am:
That was so good, it totally leaves you hanging and wanting to keep reading.

Dolly9471 said...
Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm:
Your story was awesome, and I would love to read a sequel!

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm:
Wow! Does this continue?

CurlyGirl17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:56 am:
That was very good! I love your word choice. It makes me wonder what kind of world your character is in that something so scary can happen. The introduction was very intriguing as well. Great job! :)

In_Love_with_Writing said...
Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:11 am:
Really amazing story! Nice job! Can you comment and rate some of my work?

Boota said...

That is really good

Allicat001 said...
Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:12 am:
That was really powerful and you made every word count, good job!

kassija said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm:

this piece is good.

i love this piece because i have a feeling that this piece is more than what it says.

one question: are you trying to say something with this piece?

Pegasisus said...
Such a g0rge0us piece 0f writing!! Such suspense, such drama, I just kinda want t0 scream a little bit!! :D

sevandlilly said...
Wow, this short peice was extremely powerful! It reminded me a little bit of a piece I am trying to submit (it won't let me, it says that I need to verify that it is original.. how do I do that?). I didn't know the girl's name or what had happened yet I felt my heart tighten as he talked to her. I was scraed for her even though I had only met her a couple second ago! There were some points were she seemed a little to contemplative but overall very well done!

DarkMountain replied...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 1:23 am :
This may be totally wrong, but... did you click the button when you published that says something like "I verify that this piece is completely original"? There should be a little check box. Sorry if that's obvious, just thought I'd ask.

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 11:06 am:
also my new story called alien  invasion series book one: the caller just came out, feel free to post comments and feedback! Thanks! :)(:

Jul. 17, 2011 at 8:32 am:
Really great piece! I loved it! (sorry for advertizing) I just wrote two stories called the beast and nighstalker. It would be awesome if any of u could take a look at it and read and post some comments. I enjoy comments and the feedback. Thanks and keep writing! :D

Aemma said...
May 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm:
It seems like a "death" theme though it is a little ambiguous... I do love this story it has a meaning that most short works don't have or they struggle to express it. You did a fantastic job on this piece. 

TurtleGirl said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm:
Totally awesome. It doesn't need a beginning or an end. It works perfectly just like it is, and yet still leaves you hungering for more. Great Job.

StoryWeaver said...
This was pretty cool! I would've liked to know what was going on between them, but at the same time I guess it's not quite as important for the story's theme. My eyes were glued to the screen, so keep writing!

Maddz said...
It sounds great, yet I am so confused......are we going to find out how the main character got into the position they're in??????