The Race | Teen Ink

The Race

By Angie30 BRONZE, Potterville, Michigan
Angie30 BRONZE, Potterville, Michigan

Everything will be fine in the end, if it's not fine then it's not the end.

All is silent, heart pounding, fists clenched. I close my eyes, Nothing, utter blackness, I'm alone. I take a harsh breath, Clam the nerves, settle the stomach. I open my eyes, see my lane, make my plan. Once you start running, don't stop. My thumbs twitch and my stomach is doing the tango. Take a breath, lick my lips, only a second left, and only one more thing to ask myself. Are you ready? Tick-Tock. Are you set? Tick-tick. BOOOM! Go.
Before I even blink my eyes I'm being propelled forward, THUMP THUMP-THUMP-THUMP- THUMP THUMP! Everyone behind me is pushing closer, I don't glance back, I know I'll make it. I always do. My heart is racing, arms swinging at my sides, sweat rolling off my forehead. I look forward, why is someone in front of me? I'M first. I hold my breath for a second then let it out in a gust as I push harder, Closer, closer. I flex my legs and bend them faster, I'm going to pass her.
Her big blue eyes never saw it coming. I passed her and in one smooth flowing movement handed my flag off to the next runner in my lane. Take that.
The race ended almost as soon as it started, And it ended with me thinking the same way. I'm going to win, I won.

Running inspired me.

Angie30 BRONZE said...
Angie30 BRONZE, Potterville, Michigan

Thank you, And thats a good point. I never really thought about it. 

on Aug. 9 2011 at 11:25 am
MidnightFire PLATINUM, Lincoln, Illinois

'Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.'
for my sister: 'when life gives me lemons ... i eat them'
'do not be afraid, be faithful'
'God is not safe, but He's good'

nice descriptions, the only thing I have to say is that this seems more 'realistic fiction'