Scars of the Tiger

He sat bolt upright, instinctively reaching for his throat. Gasping he looked around the room trying to push away the nightmare’s haunting images that kept replaying before his eyes. The night’s air cooled the sweat that oozed from his skin’s pores, as he pushed down the fear balled up in his throat and stomach. His blazing blues eyes grew wide as he rubbed his neck and found it missing. The animal tendon that he used as a string to hold the fang of the dead mountain lion that had raised him was gone.
Immediately he stood, fear flashing in his eyes as he scoured the dark room. Moonlight caught on something and flickered. Looking closer he thought was Misty’s calm motherly green cat eyes. Then they morphed into angry, evil, starving, unforgiving amber eyes; the wall in front of him flashed orange and black stripes, and then flicked to the sharp deadly claws and teeth of the tiger that tried to kill him a few years ago. Shaking, he fell back on his butt, his hand landing on Misty’s tooth. Sighing a shaky relief he tied it around his neck and walked over to the bathroom, dust particles mockingly dancing in the moon’s silver glow.
Turning on the light and slightly closing the door, he pulled off his shirt and turned his back to the mirror. Looking over his shoulder he used the mirror to trace the scars. Ignoring the other little faint scars, he studied the four long jagged white scars that ran down his tan muscular back. Wincing at remembered pain, he sighed and put his shirt back on. That tiger had been haunting his dreams at least once a week for years.
Tuning on the faucet he stuck his head under the icy cold water. He gave a shaky breath still trying to shake off the flash backs. Slowly he added warmth to the water till it was soothingly hot. Smiling to himself he remembered how Misty would lick the back of his hair the wrong way after he had had a nightmare to sooth him. Though a cat, she had been a better mother than his real mom or any of his foster care moms.
“Jack?” a voice asked from the doorway. Jack stood, hitting his head on the sink on the way up. He stood there, his black hair soaked and dripping, looking at the voice’s owner: a sleepy Taylor who looked like thunder had awaken him even though there was no storm. “You ok?” The scrawny blonde haired brown eyed boy asked.
“Ya. I’m fine.” Jack replied thinking about how Taylor had escaped his kidnappers and now with Jack’s help was heading home.
“But, what about those scars?” He persisted
“Um … they’re nothing and I really don’t want to talk about it right now.”
“I’m going to find out sooner or later and you know it.” The 15 year-old said growing in confidence against 18 year-old Jack.
“Well I’d rather you find out later than sooner,” Jack growled throwing in a bit of a snarl so he would stop arguing. “Now get your butt back to bed.”
Taylor left and got into his bed. Jack shook his wet head and turned off the water. He knew the kid was right. At some point they were going to run into one of the few people who knew. Then the beans would be spilled. Crawling into his sleeping bag on the floor he was tempted to just leave, to just run from the past that this adventure was putting on the path ahead of them. I have a job to do and I can’t leave Taylor to fend for himself, Jack thought as he drifted off to sleep. He wouldn’t stand a chance against the vicious killers from my past that are after him, he’d be torn apart like a rabbit in a pack of dogs.

shadowrider said...

This was really good! You created a lot of suspense and a very interesting topic! There was so much description though it was a bit overpowering. Also try giving us a little more of a peek into the main characters thoughts and give him a bit more personality, accentuate his characteristics.

Very good piece.

MidnightFire replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:54 am :
Thanks :) I'll keep this in mind. (:

MidnightFire said...
Over 150 veiws :D thanks to every one!!!!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Write more !

I love how you keep it mysterious by giving no background , but it's killing me :(

You are a great writer , use that to your advantage !

MidnightFire replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm :
Thanks :) the lowest rating this article has gotten is a 4 and that was only once (:

. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm:
This is so well-written :) Like everyone else, I wish you'd expand on it; I'd love to read moree!

MidnightFire replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
thanks, and ya it would be better to expand on but you cant try to pack to much into a short story :) thanks again

KenyaLove41 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:24 am:
this is such an amazing story! hope u write more!

ShadowRunner replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm :
thanks :) I'm glad I could help you on the forums page (:

LittleSissy95 said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm:
This is soooo amazing!!!!! I love it midnightfire. Cool name too!!!!!! Give me updates u know who I am.

MidnightFire said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm:
Over 100 views! Sadly thats a record.

DarkenRose said...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm:
Amazing! this is really good, please write more:)

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm:
Okay, this is great!  You're really good at writing short stories. :)  I want to hear much more about Jack's past.  Please expand this!

MidnightFire replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:06 am :
like i told qui133 most of my articles are baced on Jack/ from his view (in 3rd person though)

musicispassion said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm:
this is great this is my opinion but I think u should make this a book it would be great and I want more from this i wish it didn't end:( good job!!! :P

MidnightFire replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:04 am :
this came from a book I'm writting so there will be more ... and i'm definately going to have a series on Jack :) so don't worry

musicispassion replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm :
that would be great i hope u finish it

qui133 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm:
this is awesome--well writen and smooth. in addition to a sequal you could possibly write more about Jack's background--how he ran into the tyger and rescued taylor. but even if you don't (and you may already have, i still have to look at the other stuff you've written) this is awesome the way it is.

MidnightFire replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm :
thanks :) i took this from a book I’ve been writing that’s from Taylor's view so when i post stuff from it (barely any) it is usually from Jack's point of view ... plus if you read any of my other articles they are usually surrounding Jack so you could get a better feel for him from those (: thanks again

qui133 replied...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm :
yes--i think this was the first of your peices i looked at, but since then i have found the other ones about jack. he is a deep and well rounded character. i especialy like how he often resembles the tyger that haunts him.