The Silent Guardian: Ch. 1 Pt. 3 | Teen Ink

The Silent Guardian: Ch. 1 Pt. 3

By Saranghaeyo SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
Saranghaeyo SILVER, Herndon, Virginia

As I began to trudge away, I swear in the corner of my eye I saw the blockhead
laugh at my stubbornness. At that moment, I thought, or rather my inner self thought, of
two options. One: turn around and smack the day lights out of him, or two: keep
walking as if nothing was wrong. I decided on option two, because that little
voice inside my head was telling me something that refused to fight at the current
moment. However, walking away, full of dignity was harder than I thought. My fists
were curled so tight that my knuckles were turning white, my teeth were clenched shut,
and my stride was stiff and full of anger. I wouldn’t be surprised if steam was pouring out of my ears too, but I tried my hardest to keep my self-control somewhat intact.

In the background, I heard Reid rev up his engine as he hit the gas and sped past
me. The smell of the exhaust burned my throat, causing me to cough several times. Once
the air had been cleansed of the gas, I realized that I was in the middle of a dark, deserted
town just off the highway near my neighborhood; surrounded by trees everywhere.
Damn, what did I get myself into? I thought to myself, wary of anything suspicious. Out
of all the towns we could’ve passed, my bad timing just had to pick this one. I sighed and
wrapped my arms around myself, trying to keep the cold air out from Reid’s coat that I
had forgotten to give back, or throw, at him. It had stopped raining, but the air was still
crisp and the ground was still wet, making it easy to slip. Continuing to walk carefully, I
noticed that the stores and houses around here were all abandoned and worn down.
Sheets of opaque plastic flapped in the broken windows from the wind, leaving me with
an eerie feeling in my bones. Then, I noticed a brief movement among the interstice of a
store. I shuddered and tried humming to myself in an attempt to take my mind off the
cold and the unwanted feeling of being followed.

Freaking out, I picked up my pace, aimlessly walking, in hopes that maybe, just
maybe, I’d find a house that was occupied. I passed at least three blocks of stores and
houses, all of which were had no vacancy. Twice, I had caught glimpses of the
mysterious shadow lurking behind an apartment, or watching me from an alley, causing
me to be alert every waking minute. Truthfully, I was scared. My heart was
drumming so loudly I thought that even the figure stalking me could hear it. Would I be
able to find a safe haven? Would Reid come back? Questions of all sorts flooded my
mind, mentally blinding me from my surroundings. It was then that I felt a heavy body
collide with mine, nearly sending me flying.

“If you know what’s good for you, shut up and be cooperative,” a harsh voice
growled in my ear, as a hand covered my mouth to prevent any screaming I might
attempt. By then, I was in a daze. My voice refused to work; my heart seemed to be over
working itself, and my soul was beside myself as it moved along with the stranger. I tried
to get a glimpse of my kidnapper, but his face was covered by a bandana over his mouth
and nose, as well as a hood that shielded his eyes. I was doomed, there was no possible
way I’d get out of this mess, and even if I did happen to free myself, where would I go? It
almost seemed like my mere existence was the definition of Trouble.

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis

Aaaaaaahhh!!!! You're continuing this, aren't you??!?!?!? This is inredible. I don't have much of an idea what's going on, 'cuase it kindof starts in the middle of the story (I think). I'd like to know what happened befor this, that every thing is so post apocalyptic. And where did all the other people go?

Keep writing, this is great.