Eye to Eye | Teen Ink

Eye to Eye

By Bence Szechenyi BRONZE, Cambrige, Massachusetts
Bence Szechenyi BRONZE, Cambrige, Massachusetts

My husband died after only one year of our marriage. I was stranded like a ship with no dock. He was the thing that made living in a broken down cabin in northern Canada worthwhile. But now he is gone.

Sun filtered through the window and birds burst forth in melodies so beautiful it could make me cry, but all my tears were waisted on the night, crying for my husband to come back. The very short summer had started and I knew I had to take advantage of the short amount of time to gather food. I was terrible at hunting and fishing. So without my husband, my food intake would be even less then usual. I slipped on my worn brown boots. Moving my toes in its familiar sanctuary. My black leather jacket looked sad cast upon the windowsill. It covered a hole in which the man entered with the knife. I stepped outside taking a deep breath and moved towards the pathway down to the northern sea.

The bushes rustled. My hand went to my hunting knife that I always kept on my hip. Out of the shadows came a little boy his eyes dark and brooding. He looked up at me smiled lightly then clubbed me in the head.

A black cat sat on my chest its green eyes glittering as if it knew something that I don't. I slowly pushed the cat off my breasts and moved into a sitting position. I appeared to be in some sort of tent, with strange pictures of people's body parts drawn in thick red ink.
"Welcome," whispered a jolly but exhausted voice, "I'm glad to see you have come around." My head whipped around in the direction of the doorway. A strange man stood there. His face was a dark tan but you could hardly tell it was a face; the wrinkles and scars that wrapped around his heat like a candy-cane's stripes. Black hair fell down to his waist, it was so full of knots it looked like a bush. But you could not tear your gaze away from his eyes. They sunk into his head like golf-balls in quicksand staying there as if someone had punched him really hard. He walked into the center of the tent and kneeled by me.
"Don't ask me any questions because they are not worth asking. Just nod you head to my question; do you want to see your husband again?" My eyes opened wide and I nodded vigorously. "Good," he smiled. "Then are you willing to sacrifice your eye to see him again".

I stopped cold. My eyes, my deep green eyes. That was the thing my husband loved about me the most.
"I know you are afraid. But his corps is only missing one thing, an eye." He stared at me, seeing I had no idea what he was talking about he said " I am skilled in the art of resurrection. I can bring people back from the dead. Although he will not be the same he will be around. He will not speak, he will not eat, he will hardly walk. But he will love you still." That was all I needed to hear.
"Take my eye."

When I awoke the sun trickled down from the sky once again. One side of my face was numb, but I was feeling wonderful. I rose to my feet and out of the corner of my eye saw my husband. He was not at all like my real husband. His skin was grey and he shuffled and drooled as he moved towards me. I backed away from him when I saw his one brown and one green eye. He lunged at my and bit into the flesh on my arm. I screamed.

My fascination with personal struggle and zombies were my main inspiration. Remember, things are not always as they seem.

NKsunshine BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

"I don't need easy, I just need possible!" ~Bethany Hamilton

Nice:)

J Vaginston said...
real cool story

jamiejames said...
cool story

maney said...
I love it it is so good!!!!

sylvie said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 5:26 am
It was great the first time I read it and even better the second time

PrettyInside BRONZE, Deal, Other

I like that boulder, that is a nice boulder!

This is very strange, in a good way of course. I like the fact you don't see what is coming. Good work!!