My name is kaitlynn Brown | Teen Ink

My name is kaitlynn Brown

By hjohns BRONZE, Cherryville, Missouri
hjohns BRONZE, Cherryville, Missouri

My name is kaitlynne Brown. My morning is the same as any other morning. Mom came in my room woke me up to tell me she was leaving like she normally did. She told me she would see me later at school. Dad walked in and gave me a kiss on my forehead and left for work. Everyone was gone. I got up out of bed and looked out my window it was raining. I hate rain. I had an hour to get ready and be at school.
I went to the bathroom to plug in my hair straightner and to take a shower. I undress and step in the warmth of the steam of the hot water felt good on my skin. The smell of soap filled the room that is my favorite part about the mornings. I got out of the shower, dried off and blow dried and straightened my hair. I put on my favorite pair of jeans and my hoodie.
I made it down stairs to get some breakfast mom left for me on the wooden counter. I took the food to the living room to watch the morning shows on TV. The 8 o’clock shows went off and it was time for me to head out. I went out the back door that leads to the garage. Got in my car and backed out of the driveway. Town is 12 miles away from our house. We like our privacy, there aren’t any neighbors around for about 5 miles.
I was 2 miles away from our home when I received a text message from my mom saying “Where r u?” I took my eye off the road for one second to type “I’m on” and I went over the rumble strip and pulled my car away from it fast and I started hydroplaning. The rain was getting heavier and the air was chill. I lost control and went though the guard rail, and down the sloppy cliff. My heart was pounding and I was so scared.

I hit to trees and rocks the whole way down. I’m getting thrown around and I hit my head on the hard wet steering wheel. Glass is every where, I’m bleeding. My car flips on the last hit over some rocks. I’m trying to hold on to the door handle, I let go not being able to hold my weight in one place I’m forced out of the car on the last flip and I hit my head on a rock.

I could hear every one and feel them but I couldn’t move or open my eyes. I feel numbness in my legs and my arm hurts badly. I feel sharp stings in my arms and and I’m rapidly getting tired. I wake up I think to a beeping of the heart monitor. I feel the warm air when the heat comes on and the soft touch of my parent’s hands. The time of seeing nothing but darkness goes by slowly. Months after the accident I open my eyes and move very slowly to sit up a little in my bed.

Mom and dad look at me like they had just seen a ghost. I feel really dizzy and my head hurts. Dad calls the nurses, moms crying. I didn’t know what happened to me to end up in the hospital. The nurses came in I asked what happened and mom and dad sat down and told me. I didn’t know a simple text message would have a huge impact on my life. I will think again before I text and drive.