Future Choices | Teen Ink

Future Choices

I looked down at my watch, the timer said 13 minutes. I had 13 minutes to save someone’s life. But this time was different than the others, this time I had to choose whose life needed to be saved.

Another image of her popped into my head, she was reaching out of the water for help, drowning. I could see the current sweeping her away, then I saw him, up on the bridge dangling from the side. If he fell, the impact of him hitting the water would kill him. If I left her then she would drown from the strong current. It has never been this hard of a choice before. Certain images of them kept appearing in my mind, no matter how bad I wanted them to go away, I could see the truck that hit there little blue car. Everyone in the truck was unharmed but these two, was a different story. I saw the car fall in the water with her in it, I haven’t seen how she escaped the car yet. Then he jumped out of the car but is hanging from a small ladder on the side of the bridge. I could see the future, no one else knew how this was going to happen or when, but I know, in ten minutes.

I guess it all started when I was twelve, one night I had a vision of the answers on a test, turns out they were right. It continued on through high school, I could see things, I knew when a curveball was coming; I even knew where the quarterback was going to throw the ball. And yes I am the eighteen year old kid that bet fifty thousand dollars that the Buffalo Bills would win the super bowl after they started out with three strait losses. Every thing came to me like a jig-saw puzzle, it was all jumbled up and I had to sort it out. I only get small images at a time. But I make do.

The images are burning in my head; I’ve got the biggest headache in the world. It’s freezing outside, which will kill her even faster.

I run into a gas station at the bottom of the bridge, head straight to the restroom in the back, knocking over bags of chips and stumbling through the aisle.

Pushing open the door, I fall straight down leaning on the wall. “It hurts soo bad!!!” I can’t control the images, it’s like a nightmare. Little pieces of their lives flashing in my mind. Who to save? Who to save?

Seven minutes, they’re probably driving down the road, not knowing what is about to happen.

Another image, the truck, pretty big, I can’t see the model, but it swerves out of its lane to cut the car off. Then it all goes blank.

I walk outside the bathroom, then an image of a woman dropping a purse. I look over at the counter and an elderly woman drops her bag.

I stepped outside the gas station to look up at the bridge. Two minutes. There’s no way you can prevent the future from happening. Then something catches my eye, on the other side of the bridge, a small blue car sitting at a red light. Beside them was the truck. I closed my eyes, counted to ten, and took off running toward the bridge.

I know its not the best, i thought of it in the middle of the night and got up and wrote half of it. But i thought id just see what people thought and then go and fix it up some.

BooBoo7 said...
on May. 7 2011 at 7:57 pm
Wow amazing story I love how you leave the story with that awesome cliffhanger. You have no idea what the character decides in the end. I absolutely love that, it reminds me so much of one of my favorite short stories "The Lady or The Tiger?". Major props!