The Eternal Flame | Teen Ink

The Eternal Flame

By Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia
Love16 GOLD, Roanoke, Virginia

Psalm 23.

Me and my mom picked you up at your house around 5 pm and headed over Ben’s house for awhile. When we got there Kayla, Kellie, and Cory where already there. We went in and got some pictures taken and went down to his basement to talk and watch some TV. We sat around on the couches and talked about some of the latest gossip and stuff. While we were down there, Kayla and Cory decided to take a nap while me, you, Ben, and Kellie talked. Around six, we left for Ruby Tuesdays to meet up with Cameron, Maggie, Stephanie, Jacob, and Brandon. When we got there, they had already gotten us a huge table. So we all sat down and talked. When it came time to order, Cameron had to make things difficult by saying “I would like a bacon cheeseburger without the bacon.” We all burst out laughing when the waitress said “so you want the cheeseburger?” After we all ordered and stopped laughing, we kept talking and taking pictures. Once we were done, we paid and headed over to the dance. I took you with me in my mom’s truck while everyone went either with Cameron’s or Kellie’s mom. When we got there, we took some pictures and went to the dance floor. The first thing almost all of the guys did was break out into a party boy dance around each other. Once more people got there, we decided to go to an area and dance around there. While everyone else danced, I decided to go over to the DJ and sing a song. Jacob and Cameron at this point nearly crapped themselves. I got up there and the music started to play.
Me: I closed my eyes before I started to sing. “Never knew I could feel like this. Like I’ve never seen the sky before. Want to vanish inside your kiss. Every day I love you more and more. Listen to my heart, can you hear it sing? Telling me to give you everything. Seasons may change, winter to spring”. I opened my eyes and watched you walk up onto the stage. “But I love you until the end of time. Come what may, come what may, I will love you, until my dying day.”
You: “suddenly the world seems such a perfect place. Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace.”
Both: “suddenly my life doesn’t seem such a waste.”
You: “it always revolves around.”
Both: “and there’s no mountain to high, no river to wide. Sing out this song and I’ll be there by your side. Storm clouds may gather and stars may collide…”
Me: “but I love you”
You: “I love you”
Me: “until the end”
You: “until the end”
Me: “of time”
Both: “come what may, come what may, I will love you until my dying day.”
You: “suddenly the world seems such a perfect place.”
Both: “come what may, come what may, I will love you until my dying day, oh, come what may, I will love you”. As we kissed on the stage at the end, all I could hear has a collage of the dying music, cheering, awwws, and sniffles. Could see the tears slowly rolling down my face and I to, felt them rolling down my face. After all of that, we went back to dancing. As we walked back to our friends I said “you know, when I saw you I was afraid to meet you. When I met you I was afraid to kiss you. When I kissed you I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you.” You gave me a big hug and went dancing again. At about 11 o clock, I got a beep on my pager saying that there was a huge fire at a nearby building. I told you that I had to go but you begged me to stay. I wanted to stay with you but I knew that the station was short-handed and needed my help. So I kissed you and ran out as quickly as I could.
When I got down to the station, the truck had already been loaded and they were waiting for me. I quickly kicked my boots off, jumped into my fireproof overalls on, put my boots on, and pulled on my jacket. Within 1 minute, I was dressed and on the truck. Once the door slammed on the passenger side, the 10 ton truck peeled tires and headed to the site. Once at the site, we quickly got briefed about the situation and then we were placed where we were needed most. I was on a hose putting out the fire when a large explosion rocked the house. Over the radio “Firefighter down, Jack is down.” Immediately I ran into the burning building as the song Far Away was playing thorough my head. This time, this place, misused, mistakes. I quickly started to call out “Jack, you there? Jack.” over and over again. There was no call back except the hiss and crackling of the fire. Too long, too late, who was I to make you wait? All of a sudden, there was a weak “help…I’m over here.” I quickly ran over to Jack who was covered in soot and ash. I quickly tried to lift him up but a bone in his leg popped through the skin and he screamed. I gently set him back down and figured out what to do. Just one chance, just one breath, just in case there’s one left. I told him “Jack, I’m going to have to lift you up. Your just gonna have to bear the pain, ok?” “Ok” he replied. I quickly positioned him and picked him up. He let out a yelp of pain and we headed toward the exit. ‘Cause you know, you know, you know. Flaming boards fell in front of the exit and the roof started to collapse. Over the radio “get the hell out of there Forrest.” rang out. I quickly ran up the third floor looking for another exit when the stairwell fell apart and fire consumed it. That I love you, I have loved you all along. And I miss you. I saw a nearby window and without a second thought I called for a ladder and carefully handed him to the men on the ladder. Right as he touched the ground, an explosion rocketed me from the window out into the air. Been far away for far too long. I keep dreaming you’ll be with me and you’ll never go. As I struck the ground, my shoulder shattered and sent a few fragments into my lungs. The next hit went to my left kneecap and completely shattered and ripped them to shreds. The third and final hit went to my chest and ended up bending and breaking some of the bones and I just rolled the rest of the way. Stop breathing if I don’t see you anymore. I came to rest face up and about 50 ft from the building. I slowly lost consciousness as the paramedics rushed over and airlifted my body to the nearest hospital.
You were asleep when you got the call. You grabbed your phone quickly and answered it. A voice came over it and said “Sean is in the ER. He got blown out of the building. He is in critical condition but he is stable. Also, the doctor says he keeps calling for you.” You fell to the floor crying and sobbing. On my knees, I’ll ask. Last chance for one last dance.
I sat in the ER crying in agony and pain. The shots of medicine the doctors had given me had done nothing to quell the pain. It shot up throughout my body as if I had been struck by lightning. Through it all, I still thought about how much I love you. Cause with you, I’ll withstand. All of it to hold your hand. They rolled me into the operation room and stuck an IV in my arm and all of a sudden, things were fuzzy then I blacked out.
You walked into the room and looked at my broken body. You were about to walk out when I weakly said “don’t go, please.” I smiled when you turned around and started walking toward the bed. I saw in your face that you wanted to cry but yet you held it in trying to act strong. You were also feeling mixed emotions of sadness, horror, and somewhat of despair. I could read your face like a book. I said “if you want to cry, then cry. You don’t have to act tough in front of me. I’d give it all, I’d give for us, I’d give anything but I woulnt give up. “Right after I had finished talking, you bust out into tears like a waterfall. You sat nearby in a chair and tried to dry your tears. “How do you feel?” you asked softly as if in a whisper. “for being blown out a building and nearly breaking every bone in my body, I’m actually pretty good.” I replied. ‘Cause you know, you know, you know. “I have something to tell you and I know this is a bad time.” You said solemnly. For two minutes we talked and when we had finished, you got up, kissed me on the head, and walked out crying. I love you, I loved you all along, and I miss you. Quickly without a moment’s pause, I pulled some of the IV’s out of my arm and rolled of the bed. When I did, I struck my shattered knee but was able to keep from screaming in shear pain. I knew that I couldn’t stand so I used my left arm to crawl after you. Been far away for far too long. Doctors that I passed in the hallway tried to stop me but I only pushed them aside. Since I was on the 2nd floor, I had to go and take the elevator down to the lobby. When I got inside and the doors shut, I screamed my eyes out and cursed everything. I keep dreaming you’ll be with me and you’ll never go. Stop breathing if I don’t see you anymore. When the door opened to the lobby, I quickly crawled out and headed for the main exit. When I got there, I saw that you were already going to your car so I doubled my efforts. So far away, so far away, been far away for far too long. When I got outside, it was pouring down rain and my wounds were open and making small puddles of blood. Even through the pain and agony I was going through, I kept going. When finally I collapsed and could go no further, I started to yell out your name. So far away, so far away, been far away for far too long. My voice was weak and I didn’t think you could hear it over the rain pattering on the ground, the beeps and honks of cars, and people talking on cell phones. With one last burst of energy, I shouted at the top of my longs your name. But you know, you know, you know. You turned around and saw me laying face first on the ground. You quickly ran over to me and said “what are you doing?!” “I can’t live without you in my life.” I replied hoarsely. I wanted, I wanted you to stay, ‘cause I needed I needed to hear you say. You beckoned for doctors to come and help. One ran over and called for a gurney. When they lifted me up onto it, everything became black and the last thing I heard was you screaming…..That I love you, I loved you all along.
When I woke, I was in a bright white place in the sky with gates of gold. I looked around and saw people with bleach white wings flying around with fluorescent golden halos over their heads. And I forgive you, for being away for far too long. Immediately I knew where I was. I started to panic when suddenly, out of no-where, a tall man dressed in white robes approached me. I couldn’t see his face due to the light that was behind him. “Am I dead sir?” was the first thing to escape my mouth. In a solemn and soft voice he said “you are if you want to be.”So keep breathing, ‘cause I’m not leaving you anymore. “But I do not wish to be dead and with the angels right now.” I replied. “Then you are still alive.” He said. Believe it, hold onto me, never let me go. Before I say anything, a blinding light as well as the high pitched noise from the defibulator paddles and I was back in the ER with doctors walking around me. Keep breathing, ‘cause I’m not leaving you anymore. Believe it, hold onto me, never let me go. Hold onto me, never let me go You were standing over me when you said “Never leave me ever again”. “Trust me, I wouln’t.” I replied back. She slowly bent down and I slowly lifted my body up. When we met, we slowly kissed. Hold onto me; never let me go…..

it started as a dream i had one night and moved into a short story.