'He Knew'

He walked with his color turned up against the cold drizzle. Skeleton trees stretched their claws at him in the dark fall night. Puddles on the sidewalk reflected his shadowed face. Hearing the crunch of a car slowly driving on the wet gravel road, he melted into the shadowy bark of a tree and watched with piercing silver eyes as a police car prowled down the street. Third one in the past half hour; they knew he was around here somewhere. Smiling as the car turned the corner he crossed the opposite corner.

Up ahead he saw another person walking down the street. Again he melted into the shadows and waited to see if I was his info man. Silver eyes emanated from the shadow of the hood. Stepping out of the shadows he met the man and without saying a word they exchanged the money for the disk of info. Then they walked down opposite sides of the street on their own paths as if nothing had ever happened. As he turned the corner he heard the faint sound of a heavy vehicle. A huge black suburban pulled up on his left and with a quick glance around he got in.

They drove off smoothly both staring straight ahead. The truck was warm and dry. He watched, in silence, as thunder shook the truck. Shadows of the rain on the wind shield made it look as if they were crying as he drank from his mug. He grimaced at the disgusting taste of black coffee came from the mug. Taking out his silver contacts picked specifically for the swap, his evil green eyes flared in the street light.

“Have you got the information?” his driver asked, her Indian accent smooth as silk slithered through the air and rapped itself around his ears. He held up the disk silently. “Were there any problems? Questions asked? Threats?” she drew out the last word with a hissing breath. “… Did he recognize you?”
“No, nothing went wrong if he had recognized me I wouldn’t be here now would i? … anyway I made sure he only saw my eyes.” His voice gravelly voice growled. The moon escaped the clouds for a moment just long enough so that when he turned to look at her the scar that ran from the corner of his eye down under his jaw glowed.
“You know if he saw that scar he would have killed you. But you went ahead anyway with that bullheadedness of yours.”
“I know! But nothing went wrong did it?” The clouds recaptured the moon and two head lights came up behind them. They weren’t police head lights but there was something familiar about them. “Ummm … I think something went wrong.”
Suddenly a gun went off and their back wind shield shattered. Soon all three mirrors where shot off. Then a bullet seared his cheek, and then his arm. One last thought echoed in his brain ‘He knew!’ Death then took over and suffocating everything into a disappearing black.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

More Background info!

This story is amazing , and you have such a way with words!

I like how your stories draw me in from the beginning , and I love that mystery aspect that they all have. Keep it up!

MidnightFire replied...
Its weird cause when I started writing this I didn't know it was going to bring in two characters I had a background for (the informant and 'Mr. Scar') the driver didn't even exist till this ... I'll tell you something: the Informant is in Scars of the Tiger, Capture, and The Warehouse (can you figure out who is in each?) and mr. scar is in Capture, and has to do with the tiger in Scars of the Tiger. ...... I bet I just confused and frusterated you, didn't I :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

More background ,please?

I love your stories , I do. You have a way of creating beautiful imagery and scenery. I feel ass if I am experiencing the story along with the character. You are a good describer and you have a way with words. Keep it up!!!!

MidnightFire said...
Over 100 views!

musicispassion said...
AGAIN now this is upsetting me i want to know the story i know somethings should be left the way they are but i want to know you're a great writer keep up the work and why has no commented on your work it's magnificent and mysterious :P

MidnightFire replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:31 am
this clip will probably not be in any of my books cause i need the guy with the scare alive for my books ... I'm tempted to tell you something about why he the other guy killed him but I'm not sure

musicispassion replied...
aw yay someone commented on this great piece i don't won't u tell me something u don't want to it's ok i've tried to come up with reasons why :P good job

MidnightFire replied...
I don't mind telling you at all, i just don't want to give anything away if you read the books :)

musicispassion replied...
i probably wil so don't tell me anything

MidnightFire replied...
ok :) the best part of suprises i think is the waiting antisapation

Alice28 said...
Wow. Very detailed and discriptive. Also really sad though, keep writting