The Perfect Honey Moon | Teen Ink

The Perfect Honey Moon

“It’s beautiful out here isn’t it,” asked Josh.
“It sure is,” replied his newly wed wife, Anne.
“Also perfect for our honey moon. Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. The lush green and golden beaches are so magnificent. The sun shines just the perfect amount. It’s a little hot, but warm and soothing. Palm trees tower over you like skyscrapers, and best of all, the ocean. The deepest of all blues, and the clearest of all crystals. We will have so much fun.”
“I know, I can’t wait to have the best time of our lives.”
“ATTENTION EVERYONE! It is now time for our fire safety drill, so if you would please proceed to the deck to get your life jacket. Thank you,” boomed the intercom.
“Come on Anne,” Josh urged.
“Ok, just let me go get my purse.”
“You don’t need it. It’s just a drill.”
“Josh, just let me go get my purse.”
“Fine.”
As Anne made her way to the elevator, people were pushing by her trying to get to the deck. When she got up to her floor, people were running in the opposite direction as her. What was going on? Why were people acting so crazy? She finally got to her room and grabbed her purse. Walking out of the room, she was jerked to the wall, and hit her head on the closet door. Glass shattered everywhere.
“Oh no,” she gasped.
She ran to the elevator only to discover that they didn’t work. The stair case was chained up, but she pushed through the door and ran down to the lobby. Down at the lobby, there was a sea of people. Each one was sobbing and yelling. What the heck was going on?
“Anne! There you are, “ Josh panted.
“Josh what in the world is going on?”
“The ship is sinking.”
“What! Why?”
“Your arm is bleeding.”
“I know, I fell. I’m alright. Answer my question!”
“I have no idea why. All I know is that you are leaving.”
“What! No I’m not.”
“Yes you are. The life boats are being loaded with the woman and children.”
“What the heck? I feel like I’m in Titanic. I don’t care how many times you say it. I’m not leaving you.”
“Ok. Let’s go.”
They ran down to the deck only to see another sea of people. It was a sad sight to see people getting stepped on when they fell. Especially little children.
“Josh, why can’t we just swim? We are in Hawaii.”
“We are over one of the most shark infested waters in the entire ocean! If you swim, you are more than likely to be eaten.”
“I’m so scared.”
“It’s ok Anne. We will make it.”
They got to the side of the ship and looked into the water. Sharks were everywhere. Then Josh and Anne were separated by the crowd. Josh frantically looked everywhere for his wife, but she was nowhere to be seen. Then someone pushed Josh on the floor and everything went black.
LATER:
When Josh awoke, he was on a beach. He could feel the sand between his toes. For a second he thought he dreamt the boat sinking, but then he looked around and saw parts of the ship everywhere. They were burning. Also, there were dead bodies scattered all around. It was a nightmare that he couldn’t wake up from. When he tried to stand up, he fell. He was really dizzy, and his head was throbbing. What happened? The only thing he could remember was falling and passing out. He realized that Anne was nowhere near him. He screamed her name at the top of his lungs. When he almost gave up, she came stumbling out of the bushes.
“Josh! There you are. I was so worried you hadn’t survived.”
“I thought the same thing.”
“What a great honey moon this turned out to be.”
“Yah. No kidding. Let’s just get out of here.”
When they started walking, something caught Josh’s eye. It was a cell phone. They ran to it and found out that it worked. They contacted the police after finally getting a signal.
“9-1-1, what is your emergency?”
“Yes, hi. I’m Josh Nicholson and I was on a cruise around Hawaii, but then our boat crashed, and now we are in the middle of nowhere.”
“Excuse me sir, but you are going to have you talk louder and slower.”
“OUR BOAT CRASHED, AND NOW WE ARE LOST!”
“Please don’t get an attitude with me.”
“Will you just help us?”
“Let me see what I can do. I’ll be back.”
When she came back, she told them that there would be a rescue ship by in the morning. Josh said thank you and they hung up the phone.
After a while, Josh and Anne gathered everyone around a fire they made. The survivors were finally stable. With some first aid kits they found from the ship, Josh and another man from the boat helped the wounded cuts and scrapes. There were a few broken legs and arms, but there was nothing much they could do to fix it. The goal was to just last on this deserted island with little supplies until this ship came by in the morning. Good luck with that.
Four Hours Later:
“Josh!” Anne whispered.
“What? What is it?”
“We have a problem,” she panted.
“What happened?”
“It’s the children, they’re gone.”
“What!!! Where did they go?”
“Well if I knew that I wouldn’t be here right now would I?”
“Well sorry. I’m exhausted.”
“It’s ok, just what do we do?”
“I don’t know, but we need to find them before morning.”
“I know so we should start looking right this second.”
When the both got up with a few other adults, they walked about ten feet and found tracks that looked like drag marks. They followed them into the lush forest until they came to a little group of huts. It was like a little city. Then behind them they heard rustling in the bushes. A figure appeared that was wearing clothes that looked like they were made from leaves. In his hand there was a spear pointing right at them.
TO BE CONTINUED