captive chpt 2 | Teen Ink

captive chpt 2

December 7, 2010
By Samantha McDanel GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
Samantha McDanel GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I stood there in shock staring at the ground where he laid in a heap. He was on his stomach, one hand clutching the knife that was still embedded in his ribs, the other loosely grasping the barrel of the shotgun at his side. I could feel the shock deep into my bones at what I had done, at how desperate I had been. There was no going back now; I would be a wanted criminal by the morning.
I attempted to shake it off, remembering what a monster he was to me, and how I had done it in self-defense. I bent down and picked up the keys that had fallen to the ground during the fight and kicked the shotgun away from his hand. I then turned my back on him. I turned my back on the only home I had ever known in my life.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw something dash around from my right. My eyes automatically shot towards it, my body tensing up again. There in the shadows of the house to my right I could see the outline of a deathly still person. I could feel their eyes boring into me, my skin prickling on the back of my neck. I had to get out of here fast, I knew that that person had just undoubtedly witnessed me standing over my dead dad.
I stumbled to my car, running into it and scrambling around to the driver door. My eyes never left the shadow. It seemed to tilt its body into the direction of where mine was moving, its unseen eyes locked onto me. It seemed almost inhuman, the way it moved. Like the figure had been transported from an old Sci-fi movie.
My hands shook as they jerked the door open, and I finally detached my eyes from the figure as I jumped into the seat. I jammed the keys into the ignition as I slammed the door shut and immediately locked myself in. The engine roared to life, and I threw it into drive, slamming the gas pedal to the floorboards. The tires squealed and the car lurched forward, bringing me closer to my destination.
The telephone poles passed by me like a picket fence, I didn’t bother stopping at the stop signs I just kept moving forward. Constantly, my eyes checked the rear-view mirror, expecting to see the flashing of lights sent to take me away. The only thing that registered in my mind was the constant hum of my engine as I sped along. Miles and miles passed, I had no clue in what direction I was even going, my only thought was to get as far away from the town as I could.
Then suddenly, my throat caught as the shock finally left my body and the whole weight of my circumstances fell upon me. I was alone. I had no home now and I had no idea how to get to him. I had never ventured very far from the town alone and was terrified about what I was getting myself into. I had less than three hundred dollars stashed away in the trunk of the car from the stash that I'd been saving up secretly for some time now. No telling how long it would last me.
I broke down, my knuckles flashing white as they gripped the steering wheel even tighter. The road became a blurry mess and I slowed down and jerked my car to the side of the road. I buried my forehead against my hands on the steering wheel, as I proceeded to bawl my eyes out. Minutes ticked by as I slumped there in the seat, wallowing in the sadness of what I had had to do.
Suddenly, I was shook from my wallowing as the hair on the back of my neck shot up and I got the feeling of someone staring at me. I stayed deathly still, my heart constricting into a marathon. Frantically I tried to plan a way out. I heard a firm tapping directly to my left, and despite myself I shot against the consol. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I stared horrifically out the driver side window into a set of deep black eyes.