Freezing | Teen Ink

Freezing

By EmmyB GOLD, Morgantown, West Virginia
EmmyB GOLD, Morgantown, West Virginia

"Raindrops taste like tears without the pain." -Queensryche

Everything is so white, so empty. I have to be dead. I sit up and see I am dressed in a long white gown like the ones that line my closet. I shivered as ice began spreading across everything. And so freezing cold, I stood, walking along the ice and snow covered emptiness. Suddenly I saw a thick black lake amid the nothingness and I walked towards it. I felt compelled to go to it. And when I stepped out onto its surface, it became like quicksand, the water not letting me go. I struggle, knowing it's useless. And I go under. I thrash, seeing the white light filter in from above. Snow crystals float around me as I float there, submersed in black water and it's eerily beautiful. Suddenly I start to drown. I choke and scream, thrashing, trying to get to the surface but I can't reach it. Ice covers the surface and I'm trapped.

I beat upon the ice and it won’t break no matter how hard I hit. And then I saw a beautiful girl in white standing at the edge of the lake. She coudn't see me pounding on the white frosty ice and I was screaming as much as I could underwater with my mouth closed. And suddenly she snapped to attention. One second she was staring off into the distance and the next she was staring right at me. I was starting to loose air and I was quickly loosing muscle control because of the temperature. She had better hurry. I saw her scan the ice and I knew that he was trying to find a way to get at me, me all the way in the center of the lake. I was starting to loose consciousness and my mind wasn’t quite comprehending much of anything.

All I knew was that someone was coming towards me. I am so cold and I know my lips had blue by now. I started to sink away from the surface and my eyes wanted to flicker closed. So heavy, so very heavy. It was as if there was a gigantic unseen pressure pushing down on my eyelids and finally I let them close. I caught a glimpse of the girl so close and yet so far away. She was watching me sink away, loosing my consciousness quickly. She couldn’t get to me. But that’s okay. Maybe I want to die young. I heard dim scratching noises but everything was overpowered by the deadly silence of the water pressing in on my ears, leaving me alone. I'm so close to death. and it was so peaceful. And then the peacefulness suddenly shattered, leaving me gasping for air and spitting up water as I lay sprawled out on the ground. My skin was numb with cold but inside my body hurt like a b****. And with all of that I started crying.