The Librarian CH2 | Teen Ink

The Librarian CH2

November 2, 2010
By Anonymous

Chapter 2
Valery, 2015

Valery had always led the spoiled life. She had been born into a rich family and therefore always got what she wanted. Everyone loved Valery; everyone thought she was beautiful with her long brown hair, green eyes, and tan skin. She was very tall and was to become a model, when her life changed for the worse. Her school librarian Ms. D, who she had adored since she was little, kidnapped her. Right now she was being driven to a strange building blindfolded, and gagged.

Valery heard the car stop, and the sound of the door opening and closing. Then a jangle of keys, and the trunk popped open. She tried to scream for help, but nothing could be heard through her gag stuffed into her mouth. A short man with a Russian accent began to mumble curses at her. She started to cry and suddenly without warning he knocked her out.
Valery awoke to the sound of a man snapping his fingers. “Hey” the short man said “ye ain't dead are you?” Valery shook her head drowsily. “Good, your father would have my head if you were.” At the mention of her father, her eyes became question marks focused on the answer in front of her. “Yes your father.” He answered as if he read her mind, “listen he wanted me to take you away, someone doesn’t like you very much at all, there was going to be an assassination attempt on your life today, and this was the only way to stop it. The people who are after you are bad people and if you want to live, you’re going to have to stick with us for a while. OK?” she nodded and the little man walked over to her taking off the gag. “Sorry about that we couldn’t risk you screaming.”Valery spat on him and tried to kick him but found that her legs were bound to the rusty metal chair she was in.
“Do you think I'm utterly incapable of knowing a lie when I hear one? I'm not stupid; I'm a graduate from one of the most esteemed colleges around. Now tell me, why did you kidnap Me.?”

“Well if I told you, you would neither believe nor trust me now would you.” The man retaliated.
“Try me” Valery said in return
“Ok, but you asked for it. You are what we call a creator, or a decider.”


“For some strange reason, I believe you. But why do you need me?”Valery asked.

“We need you because of your power; we believe that if we get enough creators working toward one single goal. We want to change the world. Think of the possibilities, we could stop pollution, global warming and all kinds of other things.” The man replied happily

“How do you plan people not doing the opposite trying to pollute, or destroy? People are known for having free will.

“Well they would be controlled obviously, with enough creators; the entirety of earth’s population could be controlled. Everyone would feel happy without having to feel anything bad ever again.”

“So you would be brainwashing people into doing what you want” Valery said incredulously “I would never help you do that, I couldn’t its wrong.”

Pg 6
“You don’t have a choice you either help us or you die” the man said simply, “we have lost enough of you people. Do not try to escape, you will fail!”

“Well I do have a choice, and you’re lying again.” Valery ran toward the door and flung it open running out into the hallway on the other side, but before she could close the door completely, the man stared to push it open on the other side. Finally, after a couple of minuets Valery gave one good hard last push and the door shut completely slamming closed on the little mans fingers. She heard a satisfying screech of pain on the other side.

Valery was running through the hallway when suddenly she tripped and fell. She looked behind her just in time to see another throwing knife heading straight for her; the first one had punctured her right calf. She rolled over just in time to avoid the second one. Getting up, she felt the sting of pain flowing through her veins, cohersing her to just lay down, but she was resilient and limping ran down the hallway and out the door knifes flying right beside her and sticking into walls. Valery bursted out into the cool refreshing night air just as another knife made contact with her shoulder. She let out a small cry a fell to the ground, the dangerous blades clattering against the door as it slammed close.

Valery lay there only a few seconds before she limped over to a strange tree in the middle of the small concrete lot that was empty. She laid against a tree as she pulled out the knives. Blood was gushing, and she could feel it flowing down her back making small pools and rivulets as it met the cold ground. Valery was breathing heavily, and breaking into a cold sweat when she noticed a strange book with weird markings on the cover. The markings seemed to be glowing slightly, and shoved between the rock so perfectly the only someone who was exactly where she was could see it. Vision darkening, and consciousness almost unattainable, she used all of her strength to reach out to the book. As soon as she touched the book it lit up blindingly, and she heard short harsh little whispers. She couldn’t see a thing, then the whispers stopped and everything went black.