In My Shoes | Teen Ink

In My Shoes

By Catherine Bradshaw SILVER, Clifton, New Jersey
Catherine Bradshaw SILVER, Clifton, New Jersey

I take in a huge breath of air. My adrenaline is pumping. My muscles are anticipating. I know I am ready. I put my good leg forward and….Pow! The gun goes off and so do I. Boom! I’m off the grass and onto the pavement. I’m flying away from it all. Woosh! The wind hits my face and I’m half way done. My body wants to stop, but I keep going. I no longer notice anyone around me. It’s just me and the course. I run and run and run. I’m nearing the end of the race. I see coach. Come on Catherine! Almost there! Pick up those knees! I see my mom and dad. Go Catherine! It’s all about the last part. I have to give it all I have or else there was no point. So, I do. I’m furiously sprinting now. I can see the finish line. It’s so close, but it feels so far away. There’s a girl just a bit in front of me. There’s no way I’m letting her beat me though. So I begin to run even faster and I pass her. I’m finished. I clutch my stomach and receive my medal. I think running is like life. Sometimes, you just want to give up. But in the end, everything is worth it.