Dead End This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

We sat in a drowsy daze, blowing cool air on each other’s necks. That’s when we heard the jingle. I jumped up, my thighs sticking to the deck, grasping a dollar in my sticky summer hands.

Together we ran, our bare feet slapping against the hot tar of our dead-end street. Seeking refuge in the shadows of leafy trees, the truck whizzed past. That was our game.

Our hair billowed as we ran. I stopped. He had won again. Some days he would let us win, but when he didn’t, the ice cream tasted that much sweeter.

Ethershine said...
There's not much I can say about this. It's short, concise...basically...perfect.
Brings back the memories. I was always frustrated at the truck for not stopping for me at least a few seconds...but eventually I caught on. You have to compete for your ice cream. :)

mrsabbyjonas13 said...
That's awesome! You really have a talent. I agree with the person above who noted how descriptive you were, which is excellent, because it grasps the reader SO MUCH MORE. Great job! Keep writing!!

colcojo said...
Nice job. It was very descriptive, and, as a reader, that is a major "plus." I especially like when you said, "Together we ran, our bare feet slapping against the hot tar of our dead end street. Seeking refuge in the shadows of leafy treas, the truck whizzed past. That was our game." because I find it very easy to envision two young kids, intent on beating the ice cream truck in a race, mercilessly pounding on the asphalt down a road. I also can relate to the bit when you sai... (more »)

colcojo replied...
Sept. 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm :
*trees (sorry)

colcojo said...
No Comment

Jonathan C. said...
I loved it. Me and my cousin used to do the same thing. Good times.

isupporttheusa said...
Memories :D Great piece!

Rob J. said...
Well done and concise. This brings back memories

Melinda L. said...
Sweet. Simple. Perfect. It reminds me of the days when I was little and me and my brother would run to the ice cream truck, and eating the sweet strawberry ice cream (chocolate for my brother).

YeseniaG said...
Good work. Sweet and simple :]

stupidaccrebessa said...
Loved it.

Brandynoel said...
I really liked this. It was simple, yet beautiful. Great job :)

stargal77 said...
Aug. 26, 2008 at 12:32 am:
i agree with Brandynoel