The Silent Guardian Ch. 1 Pt. 2 | Teen Ink

The Silent Guardian Ch. 1 Pt. 2

By Saranghaeyo SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
Saranghaeyo SILVER, Herndon, Virginia

Rain was still pouring out of the sky when we advanced out of my dreary street. I
had so many questions about my father, but I refrained from interrogating him and
continued to remain silent, in turn of the horrific event that had only happened a few
minutes ago. “Do you like music?” he asked me softly, keeping his eyes on the road.
I nodded, unsure if he’d see, but I turned out to be wrong when he reached for the
radio and turned it on. You’ll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins was playing. He must’ve
thought that that the song was inappropriate in the current situation, but because I opened
my mouth in attempt to protest, he left it alone.
It wasn’t long after the song had ended that I shivered beneath my drenched
clothes, despite Reid’s bulky coat. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him turn on the
heat, taking the liberty of shifting the vents in my direction. “Why?” I asked quietly,
gazing through the windshield. “Why are you doing this?” My voice quivered at
the last sentence, exposing my fragile state.
Reid opened his mouth, but hesitated to answer. “It’s because you are
my responsibility now. I’m supposed to keep you safe, until you no longer need me.”
It was then, that I felt my inner, more rebellious side surface, I guess you could
say it was my version of going into shock. “‘Supposed to?’” I retorted, turning to him.
“So, what, am I some kind of business? Is that it? Are you trying to make me feel useless
and weak?”
He snorted and shook his head. “Actually, I’m waiting for you to go into shock.”
“What?” I raised my voice another octave. “What is with you? I’m pretty sure I
can take care of myself.”
“Can you?” he sounded amused. “So, you’re telling me you could’ve taken care
of yourself back there?”
“Of course I could’ve! I didn’t need your help!” I basically yelled. What the hell
was wrong with me? The heat must’ve gotten to me by then, because I didn’t think that
I’d ever take something like this to the next level.
“Oh, really?” With that, he stomped on the break, right in the middle of the road.
“What’re you doing? We could-” I began.
“Get hit by cars?” he interrupted. “What cars?”
I glared at him. My inner self wanted to smack him across the face, but I argued
that he could use martial arts and snap my arm like a twig. So, my inner side quickly
settled down.
“Get out,” he demanded.
“What?” I emphasized.
“If you can really take care of yourself like you said, prove it to me,” he replied
tauntingly.
“You’re serious?” I raised an eyebrow. “What if I get kidnapped?”
“Well, then, I guess that just means you need my help after all,” he grinned.
I glowered at him as if his face was covered in pimples, then snorted. “You are so
full of crap. I can’t believe my father sent a jerk like you!” With that, I kicked the door
open and stepped out of the car furious at him, as I slammed the door shut.

Anjo! SILVER said...
on Aug. 15 2010 at 3:07 am
Anjo! SILVER, Roseburg, Oregon
 Woah!! i was so not expecting ANY of that. that was amazing, and i love the title. you use great wording and description. i could read it and watch it in my mind. thats amazing. Keep writing!! i want to know what happens!!