Osen Sareta Sekai | Teen Ink

Osen Sareta Sekai

By Kikkia BRONZE, Deltona, Florida
Kikkia BRONZE, Deltona, Florida

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee."

The first day of school, always full of happiness and pain all within the same few minutes. Unlike other years though I didn't have the usual painful, empty feeling that always occurs right before something bad happens. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I wonder as I wait in line for class schedules.

"Kikkia!" yells someone further back in the line. I turn to see who it is and I see a girl with short, blonde curly hair, one with brownish black hair with streaks of pink and blonde in it, and a boy with dark brown hair waving enthusiastically. I sigh and walk back to them and get glomped, for you who does not know what a glomp is look it up, did I mention pain? Yes, ok I did.

"Kiee, Leah, Rodger. What a coincidenc, what are you doing here?" I said in a nonchalant, not all that excited voice. The blonde one Kiee oblivious to the sarcasm exclaimed, "These two are here to keep me company while I get my schedule!" She grinned as the other two looked at me and smiled. "How was your summer?" Leah asked moving further up in the line. Following her as the line moved faster, I replied "Same old, same old, boredom to the highest degree. I hung out with my girlfriend of course. That helped relieve the boredom quite a bit." "Hikari, right?" Rodgers asked and I nodded looking ahead towards the front of the line.

Leaving the line with our schedules the four of us walked to where our group usually sits only to find a big crowd and out of curiosity I forced my way through the crowd to see what the commotion was all about. Of course my first thought was that there is a fight, which our school is famous for. But after many a shove and shouldering between people there was an absolute calm almost a fear surrounding the inner crowd. I look around and I look down to see Hikari kneeling over a male form. She motioned for me to come over and I gasped in shock as I realize who the male is. It was Noah one of my friends. I kneeled next to Hikari and sighed in relief as I realize that he is still breathing.

"What happened?" I asked watching Noah. "Not sure. Out of nowhere he collapsed on the spot. I haven't moved him in case something happened internally." "Go get the nurse. I'm calling 911," I whispered.

Hikari nodded and pushed her way through the crowd towards the nurse's office. I looked up to see the line of disgruntled students that Hikari knocked over and giggled. I kinda felt bad for those students buy my main concern was Noah. I called 911 while checking his pulse, which was very slow. And after I talked to the Evac Dispatcher I heard panting to my left. Looking over I see Tommy standing over me trying to catch his breath.

"Breathe Tommy, slow deep breaths." I said looking up at him. He smiled and finally was able to talk. "So Noah had it happen to him too?" He said with a look of concern. "Too?" I asked in suprise. "Who else has this happened too?" He looked down and pointed to where Kiee, Leah, and Rodger were before I left them. "Leah and Kiee passed out too. Rodger is with them now." I looked at him in shock. "This is really wierd." I said slowly.

"Kikkia, Kikkia." shouted a voice from inside the crowd and out bolted Hikari with the nurse in tow. That's when it started going really bad. Hikari tripped and fell, or at least it looked like it. "Hikari!" i shouted as I ran to her side. "Are you okay?" I shook her arm, without a response I rolled her over. I gasped and started panicking. Hikari was out cold too?

A scream came from where Leah, Kiee and Rodger was. Tommy went to look but he fell over too. The nurse and the crowd backed away in fear. And then it hit me. A pain unlike no other. Like three migrains stacked on top of another bored into my mind while at the same time I had the air knocked out of me from what felt like a kick to the stomach. I fell on top of my girlfriend as the light began to fade into darkness. The last thing I remember hearing was the whine of the ambulance siren as I slipped into unconciousness.

This is the first chapter of a novel I am working on. Osen Sareta Sekai is japanese for A Tainted World.