Fight for my future | Teen Ink

Fight for my future

June 15, 2010
By BigSkyDreamer BRONZE, Arnold, Maryland
BigSkyDreamer BRONZE, Arnold, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just when you think life has it in for you..... Something amazing happens."


Prologue:

In the past few months i have learned, nothing is as it seems. You know when your a little kid and your first discover Santa isn’t real. Well thats what the past few months have been like for me. I remember when i used to watch home movies made of when i was a little kid, i always wished i could go back to that time and be a little kid again. I wish that more than ever now. Things get too complicated when your older. You have to make decisions you don’t want to make. You have to do things you don’t want to go, but most of all..... you have to hurt people you don’t want to hurt. My name is Rhea James and this is my story.


Chapter one:

I looked in the mirror and sighed. That was as good as it was going to get. High school wasn’t an easy thing. Teens don’t always get along together. I learned that the hard way. I didn’t have many friends, two to be exact. No one else really talked to me, i considered that a good thing.


“Re Re!” My mom called from downstairs, “You’ll be late if you don’t hurry!”

I rolled my eyes. Re Re was my old nickname, from when i was two. My mom was sweet but sometimes got annoying. I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs. My black converse squeaked on the hardwood floors as i walked down the hallway. My dad worked for a big advertising company so we had money. I didn’t use any of it, though, to buy clothes or things i wanted. I had a job. It didn’t pay very well, but I wanted my own life. I worked at Apple to fix computers. I was a geek, i know.

I herd a horn outside I rushed out the door, forgetting to say goodbye.


“Rhea come on!” Jessie yelled from the car.

I rolled my eyes, playfully, “Im hurrying.”

I opened the door to her station wagon and got in. I yawned and leaned back, looking out the window.


“Tired?” She asked.

I nodded, “I kept having the dream.”

She looked shocked, “Again?”


“Its just so weird. Its like my instincts are pulling me three ways. There’s a wolf at one, blood at the other, and an angle at the last. I don’t know which way to go. Finally i can’t make a decision so i run the other way,” I knew she had herd it many times, but i had to talk about it.

Jessie looked worried, “You need some sleep.”

I laughed without humor, “Its November, which means end of first quarter. No way im missing any school.”

She eyed me, “November also mean your seventeenth birthday.”

I groaned, “No!”


“You have to get older. I know you have this thing about being older but you have to get over it. Time is time, love.” She tried to comfort me.

I smiled sadly and looked out the window again. Jess turned on the radio and started to sing along to some random song. Everyone told her she had a great voice, but she never listened.


“You know Jess, you should go pro,” I started.

She scowled, “Don’t start Rhea.”

I held up my hands in defense, “Sorry, sorry.”


“You should be,” She joked, smiling.

About two minutes later, she pulled into the over-crowded parking lot. We pulled in next to a convertible. Jessie looked at it with longing. I smiled and patted her shoulder. We got out and she automatically linked her arm through mine. We were careful for cars as we crossed the lot and got onto the side walk. Before school everyone had to wait outside, no matter the weather. That morning it was cold and looked like it was going to pour any minute.


“Hey guys,” Kate came up to us and gave hugs.

I smiled, “Hey Katie-Kates.”

She rolled her eyes and laughed, “how long have you called me that?”

I thought for a minute, “Forever.”

The three of us laughed. I saw out of the corner of my eye, someone walking up the sidewalk. I automatically felt my cheeks grow hot. It was Andy.

He smiled at me as her passed, then went to join his friends.

“Ooooooo!,” Jessie hollered.

I hid my face in my hands, smiling. I didn’t want them to know the attraction i felt to him. I usually didn’t like boys. I was too busy being a nerd.

The bell rang and everyone pushed their way in. I hugged Kate and Jessie goodbye and ran up the large staircase to my class. I herd the crack of thunder outside and hurried faster to my class. I wasn’t a fan of loud noises. Pushing past the kids at the door, i mad my way into my first class. No one else was there, not even the teacher. Suddenly i got this sharp pain on my hand. I cried out softly, luckily no one herd.

Looking my hand over i was surprised. It looked normal. I turned it over and over again. Nothing. I decided to ignore it. Must have been a bug or something. The teacher came in and I pulled out my notebook.







:~:

I was starving by the time lunch came. My hand had not hurt again and for that i was thankful. I needed to concentrate on school. I didn’t have lunch with Kate or Jessie on A days, so i got in the lunch line by myself and pulled out my book. I read a few line then looked up, the line was too long. I decided, even though i was still hungry, to skip lunch and just read. I headed to a table in the back of the cafeteria and sat down.

I was just getting to the climax of the book when I herd a voice, “Hello Rhea.”

I looked up. The room was busy with people, but no one was talking to me. I shook my head. I thought i was going crazy. Lack of sleep i thought.


“Its your seventeenth birthday next week.” The voice said.

Then i knew i was crazy. Voices? This was not a usual thing one herd. Maybe if I humored my mind the voice would go away, Yes it is. I listened for the voice again but it didn’t come. Suddenly something pulled me back to the present. It was the bell wringing. I didn’t want to go to class. I wasn’t in the mood. I pulled out my phone

To Kate and Jessie: Not feeling well. Going to walk home. Text me later.

I pressed send and got up from the table.


The author's comments:
This is a story that just came to my mind. That happens alot to me. I hope that someone will read this and like it :)