Jurassic Park 4 (fan-made, of course) Prologue and Chapter One | Teen Ink

Jurassic Park 4 (fan-made, of course) Prologue and Chapter One

By TheJoker BRONZE, East Greenville, Pennsylvania
TheJoker BRONZE, East Greenville, Pennsylvania

" Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling."

Jurassic Park 4

Prologue

James Sanders stood there, gazing into the green jungle. Bugs were buzzing about noisily. Occasionally, leaves in the trees and ferns sprouting out of the dark soil rippled with the wind. They’re coming, he thought. They are on their way. They have to know we’re here.

It was hot, despite it being dark, and James regrets choosing to wear his business suit here. He turned around. He was in a small, grassy field, right off the beach. Half of the field was fenced in, and workers were setting up the rest of it. The entire place was hot and sticky and smelled of dirt and manure. Spotlights illuminated the field. He heard many sounds, most of them bird calls. He didn’t pay much mind to them, however. James was focused on making sure this job gets done. The sooner the perimeter fence was put up, the sooner the rest of the job could begin.

James looked at the workers. He felt sorry for them, too. They were in long-sleeve Jurassic Park worker outfits, complete with hard hats. But they’re doing the dirty work. James knew that wasn’t his job. Manual labor is overrated for his type, he knew that.

James Sanders grew up in high-class society, his father being a real estate tycoon.
After college, he used his knowledge of business ethics to get into the high ranks of International Genetics Technologies, or better known as Ingen. After that was the Jurassic Park incident, he hadn’t played a significant role in any of it. He was busy supervising another project involving river trout. Back then, he never imagined himself involved with Jurassic Park, especially after hearing about the T-Rex in San Diego. He personally thought the whole project should be abandoned in the first place.

But yet there he was.

Monitoring the workers were men with tasers and shotguns. They weren’t for the workers, of course. James had heard what had happened, all three incidents in which people had been killed, and for this reason he had ensured that there was going to be armed security, just in case. James Sanders did not want to go down in history as the man that allowed the fourth Jurassic Park incident. At the request, Ingen didn’t hesitate to order the weapons.

There was a little rustling plants over by the other side of the fence. Several armed men spun around and ran over. James backed up quickly. He wasn’t about to die. From a safe distance, he watched the men crane their necks and crouch down, looking for potential threats.

And then they came.

James Sanders hadn’t taken the time to study up on any of the dinosaurs, and instantly in that second he regretted it. If he would have, he would have known the name of the fast, agile dinosaurs that burst out of the forest, teeth and claws agape, with their tales bobbing behind them as they sprinted. He would have at least been given a slight outline of the blood-red predators’ capabilities as they dragged worker after worker into the jungle.

James instinctively ran for the motorboat parked on the beach. To hell with the workers, he thought. They’re expendable. He had to get out of there. Behind him he heard the workers’ screams as they were mauled and pounced on. He also heard shotguns being fired. But he knew it was hopeless These were dinosaurs, for god’s sake! They were probably immune to bullets or something like that.

The boat had to be ten yards away. The driver, who was previously sleeping, had long since awakened to the sounds of death, and was now starting the boat engine. James was bolting for it. The driver saw him coming, and started to yell in some other language, and gestured to hurry up. But then the driver looked at him in some odd way, as if he was looking through him. After that gaze, the he spun around, pushed the boat offshore, and roared away.

James stumbled over. He had been hit by something. Something hard and merciless and unforgiving. Luckily, whatever had hit him had miscalculated and plunged into the wet sand and rolled into the ocean. James managed to turn around to the field, and he caught full view of the damage.

The field itself was blood-spattered. Among the large quantities of blood spilled on the ground, only two bodies were among them. Both bodies were the dinosaurs’, with obvious gunshot wounds. So they were killable, James thought. But it was his last thought. The thing thrown at him had recovered, gotten up and pounced at it’s target.
James felt pure natural evil come down on him, and he was dead before he hit the ground.

Chapter 1

John Hammond had not seen the Ingen conference room since his company was returned to him. But as he stepped up to the master chair, sat down at the front of the table, and placed his hat on the table, he couldn’t help feeling at home.

Everyone at the table was in their black suits but John, who of course wears all white to appear pleasant. But the matter at hand was anything but.

“Concerning the deaths of James Sanders and eleven workers.” said John, bringing the meeting to a beginning.

“I knew we should’ve had more security” commented an Ingen executive, a short, stubby bald man.

“Thank you very much, Mr. Cramer, but I don’t think we could afford it.” replied another executive from across the table.

“Trust me.” Hammond said reassuringly. “These are indeed bad times for Ingen, but this new project will put us back on the map.”

“I don’t know if that’s a gamble we should call.” said Mr. Cramer. “If it doesn’t pay off, Ingen could go under.”

“Mr. Cramer,” said Hammond, “you don’t like Jurassic Park at all, do you?”

Mr. Cramer replied immediately. “For all I care, I say we get the government to nuke it.”

“That is absolutely out of the question.” Hammond responded angrily. The disgust was clear in his face.

“Hasn’t that island caused enough trouble? Look how many people are suing us! I say the Jurassic Park project should be discontinued.”

Several others agreed with him, protesting reasons to rid themselves of Jurassic Park forever.

“Listen to me.” Hammond declared, trying to ease the crowd. “James Sanders’s
station was attacked and ruined, yes, but there are two other stations on the island, both fully operational and waiting for orders! The whole reason we’re doing this is to create a observational sanctuary for scientists. Do you realize what could happen if it succeeds? We’d be receiving payments from every country in the world for our information! We’d be international. After a few years of income, we should be able to build a brand new Jurassic Park with better security.”

“John, you can’t seriously want to make another park! After three incidents, shouldn’t we know better?” Mr. Cramer remarked. He looked around at the other faces.
“I’m the director of public affairs. Imagine what people would think of Ingen if they knew we were stupid enough to try with the dinos again, especially with all the fatalities?

“Jake, what you don’t realize in that we have a product no one else has or ever will have.” Hammond paused to cough. He then stood up. “ Jurassic Park Observation Sanctuary will be operational within this year. It will save Ingen, then proceed to put us on a higher pedestal.” He gathered his hat and cane. “Meeting dismi-”

The phone rang.

It was a black phone that sat in the middle of the table. It was there every meeting, but it rarely rang. John remembered being in tough spots, with a lot of things on the line. He often looked at that phone, either in deep thought, or just hoping for an excuse to change the conversation topic. He looked around the room, at startled faces. Silence fell among the executives.

It rang again.

Silence.

And again.

Silence.

Finally, Jake Cramer came to his senses. He picked the phone up. Abruptly, the ringing ceased. He raised it to his ear.

“Hello?”

Only some murmuring could be heard by Hammond.

“Yes, of course….Possibly. How much?……Thank you. I will, um…go over it with the board.” He hung up.

“Who was it?” Hammond couldn’t help but ask.

“George Meisner”

The name meant something to Hammond. George Meisner was the head of BioSyn Technologies. The company specialized in genetic research, just as Ingen does. But they’ve been Ingen’s rivals for years. And they played dirty, too. Hammond remembered uncovering several BioSyn incidents in which they had tried to steal, raid, and halt production. And always, George Meisner’s over-tanned face appeared behind it all. But they had practically disappeared after the first Jurassic Park incident, with little to no activity for years on end. Rumors had been said that BioSyn was gone for good. Apparently not.

“What could he possibly want?” Hammond sounded confused.

Cramer paused. His bald head turned towards Hammond. “……He offered us twenty-five million for each of the islands.”

There were gasps and murmurs among the board.

One board member, tall with black hair, looked at Hammond.

“How much did we buy those islands for?”

Hammond was staring at the floor. Vacantly, he said, “A few hundred thousand each.”

The black-haired man began to talk to someone else, but he faded away. All the conversing and arguing faded away.

Hammond was in deep thought. He sat back down. Fifty million would surely bring Ingen out of debt. But he can’t just sell Jurassic Park. He’s been there since the beginning. He’s seen the majesty it presents. He has to share the majesty with the world. This thought brought him to a decision.

“No”

The one word slammed silence onto everyone. Many eyes were on the CEO.

“Hammond!” Cramer stood up, obviously disappointed with the decision of his boss. “Surely you’re mad!”

“It’s like I said before.” Hammond replied calmly and without anger. “We have something no one else has or will ever have.”

At that, Jake Cramer tossed his chair at the wall. It hit with a loud clang! “How could you be so blind, old man!” he hollered furiously. His face was getting tighter and began to flush red.

“ It’s for the good of the company.” Hammond replied in a louder tone, trying to settle Cramer. As he talked, he reached for a little red button under his desk and pressed it.

Cramer was quick to reply. “It’s for the good of you! You don’t care about Ingen, you selfish idiot!”

Two burly, well-built men appeared in the doorway. They marched toward Jake. Still looking at Hammond angrily, Jake pushed one away and said. “No need to, boys. I’ll walk myself out.” and proceeded to the door, then down the hall. The burly men followed him anyway.

Hammond coughed. “Ahem! Oh, and by the way, you’re fired” he said, staring at the door.