Thin Air | Teen Ink

Thin Air

Boise, Idaho. Elevation 105 ft.

I was sitting in my living room reading the local newspaper while sipping my coffee. The coffee was an African blend which was my favorite one. I get it imported from the Kilimanjaro base camp ever since I trekked to the top of it. That was my first training for my expedition to K2. I loved hiking since I was seven years of age and my biggest dream was to scale K2 without bottled oxygen. This was going to be a tough feat to achieve so I trained everyday at a special facility. I had taken three months off my job as an inventor just for the special trip of my life. So far, I have invented multiple types of clothing which insulates the body in harsh weather.

I took the last sip of my coffee and put in in the kitchen sink., gave the newspaper as a present to the garbage and called out to my wife that I was leaving to meat with a friend. My wife's name is Molly and she always is assisting me in preparation for the big climb. I think she want's me to be as safe as possible during the climb. I walk out the front door to my car and open the door. The car was an Audi RS4 thanks to the Mega Millions Lottery. My secondary car, however, is a sports car. To be exact, it is a Pagani Zonda and that is the reason why I keep it covered inside my tightly locked garage. I get into the Audi and drive down my driveway and onto main street. I was supposed to meet my friend at the La Finet Café but he had to had to stay home to take care of his sick daughter. I also have kids, the girl being a freshman in collage and the boy in his Sophomore year in high school.

I pull up in front of my friends house and get out of the car and then knock on the door. How opens the door and welcomes me inside. We sit down on the sofa and a conversation starts.

“How is your daughter doing?” I asked

“She's better. But she's still a little bit sick.”

“Hope she feels better soon.”

“Thanks.”

I then said, “So, what are we going to do about this expedition.”

“I already reserved the plane tickets so we should be leaving in a few months.”

“Oh really? That's great!”

“Yeah it is. I also had some contact with some of the other mountaineers who will be climbing with us.”

“And what did they say about the expedition.”

“They said that it is going to be very difficult if you are going to climb without oxygen.”

“Any other precautions?” I asked.

“No that's it for now.”

“OK thanks.” I then walked out the front door and got into my car and drove back home to tell my wife the news. I was going to climb K2.

K2 Base Camp. Elevation 18,000 ft.

This was it. I was putting on the last of my special made snow gear. My friend opened the door of the cottage and all the winter air rushed in chilling my face. At that time, I put up my face mask made from nice, warm, cozy wool. There were no trees where we were. The road for automobiles stopped just at the camp and all that was in front of us was a big tall cliff. At the base of the cliff, my friend and I met up with two Nepalese mountaineers who have scaled K2 and Mount Everest multiple times. They handed us some ice picks and some spikes to attack to our boots. One of the Nepalese mountaineers lead the way with me behind him and then my friend. The last mountaineer was in the back to watch out of any hazards on the way. The route we had chosen to take was short but more dangerous then the longer way. But we were determined climbers. The first par of the trail had a really steep incline. The snow was deep but the Nepalese guilds warned us there was ice underneath the snow. One false step could lead to an avalanche.

We walked in single file with the guides up front. I was in back to make sure that the group stops if anybody falls down. All of the sudden, a huge rock fell from the top of a steep cliff. It smashed into the front Nepalese climber. I could see his blood squirt to the side. One by one the bolder was taking its victims. Then, it was my turn to face the wrath of the oncoming bolder.