Backroads | Teen Ink

Backroads

May 21, 2010
By Anonymous

I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't even know about this place. I should be at home, playing Xbox, not out here, about to shoot someone for real. I stood outside the brand new headquarters of the bank. A steel sign read Brumster & Co: Central Offices. At exactly 5:04, the executive in a slate grey suit stepped out into the open. He was heading towards an armored silver Mercedes not twenty feet from the reinforced door. He briefly caught my eye and I pulled the trigger. The gun fired and a teflon coated bullet hit him directly in the chest. Even if he had been wearing body armor the bullet would have slipped right through, He didn't have a chance. How did I even get into this mess? I remembered; I was walking home from school on one of those rainy days where all you want to do is curl up and sleep. I was tired, I had just gotten a C on a test and I didn't want to be in the rain. Suddenly, a black SUV pulled up. It was a Chevy, the kind the Secret Service uses. The driver asked me if I wanted a ride. I know, I know, I shouldn't have accepted this offer from a stranger. I crawled into the American sized seat as the driver pulled away.

"My house is at 12..."

"I know." Said the driver "but we're not going there just yet."

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"Turn off your cell phone, you'll be alright" he annoyingly demanded.

I was worried. Who was this guy? He made a sharp left and almost hit a very angry taxi driver. We drove past the George Washington Bridge. Sometime later we pulled off the highway and after a short jaunt on a small country road, the driver announced that we had arrived. At first I thought he was joking. There was nothing there. I surveyed the area. After staring for a few seconds, I realized we had pulled up next to a building concealed beneath the foliage. It was once a beautiful mansion, but was now a dilapidated mess. The lawn was several feet tall, the paint was peeling and the roof was worn to the bare wood in some parts. He parked the car in the back lawn and to my surprise there were several other SUVs parked as well. I was hungry and tired. The man pulled took a key from his pocket and opened a padlock guarding and small wooden door. Behind it was a concrete door painted with menacing warnings. The man entered a code on a keypad and the door began to swing open. Slowly at first, then faster, until it hit the wall behind it with a thud. The man walked in and gestured for me to follow. I walked in and couldn't believe what I saw.