The Demon Apprentice: A House Guest Welcomed- To a Point Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Demon Apprentice: A House Guest Welcomed- To a Point Chapter 1

April 28, 2010
By LanceDracofire BRONZE, Amherst, Ohio
LanceDracofire BRONZE, Amherst, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not one person can change who you are unless you let them change them to who they want you to be.


The day stared as everyday. A hard time waking up. Taking care of the dogs, Bailey, a black lab, Chloe, a fox terrier mix and Sunny, a schnoodle, and getting to school before the 5 minute bell rings. A boring day at school, like normal. I had Spanish first with Miss Poeger; she is a pretty cool teacher. She jokes around and is one of those teachers that catch the dirty stuff before the kids and laugh. She’s considered the hot teacher of the school. She has Blondish-brown hair and brown eyes. She has an average height and weight, but she never gets hit on because she is a tough woman.
Then I had English with Mrs. Doxman. She is an O.K. teacher. She has her fun moments, then the ‘I’m teaching let’s get to work’ moments. She has light brown hair and is always smiling. After I had a study hall, where we have to sit and be quiet. Mrs. King watches us. She’s really strict some days. She just got divorced with her ex husband and gets really mean on random days. So we learn to just leave her be when we can.
Then was lunch, were I had fun with all of my friends. My friends are the weird kind. They are the funny ones but are made fun of a lot. O.K., so am I, but not as much. I have some other ‘acquaintances’ that make sure of that. We talk about the weirdest things and the geekiest ones too.
After lunch I finish the day with science with Mr. Thomason. He gives us slack. He understands that we are the last class of the day and we just want to get out of there. He normally lets us talk at the end so we behave. My best friend Nate is in there. He is really tall, standing up to 6’ 1”.
Then I normally walk home and do my chores. My house is a fairly big one. We have five bathrooms, an office, a playroom, three bedrooms and a finished basement, which acts as my bedroom. We have a fenced in back yard and a large front yard. After cleaning up, I sit down and watch my favorite show, House, till my step dad, Doug, comes home. Now he is a big guy. He weighs around 285 lbs and he stands at 6 feet. He always has his hair cut short.

Now he can be unpredictable sometimes depending on his day at work. If it was a hard day he comes home mad, if not has nice. Now when the day went smoothly and was relaxing, he’s at his best. Today he came home and was in a mild mood. He talked to my mom in her office, who works at home as a transcriptionist. My mom is always working. She never stops to just relax. She normally sits down when she is with my sister. Now my mom normally has a shade of red as her hair. Right now it’s Irish red. My mom sounded happy after a few minutes in the conversation. They soon walked out together and sat around me. My step dad turns off the T.V. and turns toward me.

"Now, John, you may be uncomfortable about this news but I and your mom have decided it’s for the best,” Doug said.

"It will give us more money to use to our disposal." my mom says with a slight of guilt in her voice.

"We have rented out the spare room upstairs."

"What!"I screamed.

"Now calm down,” Doug says moving his hands in a downward direction.” She won’t be here till tomorrow."

"She!" I look at my mom dumbfounded.
"Yeah I thought that would worry you the most.” He says.
"Worry! A strange woman is going to live in our house! There will be almost no privacy!" I say putting emphasis on “privacy.”

"You live in the basement. What do you care?"

"All of it!" I say finally calming down a bit.” First off unless she is having her own refrigerator up there and keep her food then how are we going to keep that straight?"

“Well you’ll have to work on that, alright.”

“Fine. What about .......” I pause trying to think of something else.

"You have nothing else to worry about do you?"

"Alright you got me there. So what?"

"It means that you will get used to her being around trust me.” That was a statement I never wanted to become true.

The next day at school I told all my friends during lunch what my parents did.

“What? That’s absurd. How can they do that?” Nate says.

"Is she hot?” Sean says.

“I agree with you Nate and I haven’t seen her yet so don’t ask that....ever.”

"Aw come on. At least get me a picture."

"Fine if it will make you leave me alone then O.K.” I finished my lunch and went to class.

Today’s subject in science was on atoms. I start to randomly draw pictures on my notes as he drones on about how the atom works. I start to wonder what Jennifer would look like and what she would be like. Right then the bell rang. I went to my locker and goofed around with my friends and walked home. As soon as I was in sight of my house, I saw a strange car in our drive way. It had a few essentials in it but not much. A surprisingly hot, tall, slightly built, 20-year-old woman with brown hair and eyes walks out of the house and gets some more stuff. I see that she is having some trouble with a dresser so I go and help her.

"Here let me help."

"Oh thank you. You must be John. I’m Jenifer."

"Nice to meet you.” We take the dresser up to the spare room.” Anything else you need help with."

"Well I got a lot of books if you want to carry those."

"Oh really? What kind of books?” To most people, I’m a book fanatic. Everywhere I go I have a book with at least 100 pages.

"Oh some on magic but mostly demons."

"Oh wow my favorite subjects. So of course they are fiction so what’s the story line to your favorite one.” I said to her as we walk back outside.

"Fiction? What do you mean? It’s all real.” At that I get my second conclusion on her. First she was alright, now she was crazy.

"Oh ok. Well is it good?” I thought to keep this conversation short so we don’t get on the wrong side of each other to quickly.

"Yeah. It has a description of every demon known to man."

"Cool." The book must not exist then since mankind doesn’t know any. That’s where I ended the conversation. I took the crate up to her room and placed it on her bed. I caught a glimpse of the titles of some of the books and they were weird. They said 'The World of Magic and You', 'How to Use the Magic in you', 'How to Kill a Demon', 'The Type of Demons and Their Weaknesses’. “Well anything else you need help with?’ I ask her.

She comes in carrying four draws filled with cloths and sets them down." Nope that is it. Thanks a lot."

"No problem.” I walk down the stairs wondering how she carried up all of those drawers by herself since they must be really heavy. I then start my chores. Afterwards I go to my room in the basement and play my Xbox 360. I am a gamer fanatic. I play a lot of games.

The next day I wake up and remember its Wednesday and am depressed because I have a few more days of school for the week. I get dressed and wait for Doug to do the same and take me to school as he goes to work. I enter the school doors and find my friends in the band room.

As I walk in I see a blur. I sidestep and I hear a big bang behind me as Sean runs into the lockers and I laugh. "Thought you could get me this time, Sean?"

"Ow! That hurt you bastard!"

"Hey don't blame me," I say laughing. "Your the one that tried to ambush me. I told you I have fast reflexes and Im stronger than you think."

"Well," Sean says with a pause. "Shut up!"

Everyone else that was in the band room was laughing at Sean. I walk over to our little circle that we form and try to figure out what we are talking about today. See my group of friends never gossip. We all have discussions on what ever we want. One day we talked about how, in Star Wars, Jedis cant use the force on the lasers because they are not a solid liquid or gas.

"See, thats not possible. He would run out of momentum after awhile wouldn't he?" Mike says.

"No, because if you can see, he makes little hills on the ice track. Its like a roller coaster. They do flips but still move." Nate explains.

"Oh Ok. So like the hills he makes speeds him up. Ok I get it. Now what about Pyro. You know how he-" The bell interrupts Mike and Nate's discussion of super hero's powers and the physics of them. We all gather our stuff and head to our lockers.

I gather my stuff for my first to classes and I head to Spanish. Like always, I'm dodging people, they move in my way to just hit me cause they hate me or I get stuck behind slow people. In my school, Im one the many people who are well known, but hated. I get made fun of all the time. No matter what I do people crack jokes about me, even when Im right there. They think Im a werewolf because of how fast I am, my strength, and because Im hairy.

As I enter Spanish, and my friend Tink walks up to me. "Hey John."

"Hey. What's up?" I say waving as I do so.

"Not much just hate school thats all. So how is the new passenger of your life?"

"Oh, she's Ok I guess. Just a little crazy, thats all."

"How so?"

"Well she believes in demons. As if they were real and you could slay them and crap."

"That would be cool but, thats just weird that she thinks that."

"Yeah, you think?" The bell rings and we both go sit down in our seats.

The day goes on with me telling my friends that about Jenifer.

I get home finally and sit down and relax. I then do my normal chores like taking out the trash and that kind of stuff. I finish up the day taking a shower like I do every night and go to bed.

The next day turns out to be like yesterday. Sean asks about Jenifer and her 'hottness' and Mike and Nate fighting about video game. The same old same hold. I go home and sit down and watch T.V. since there were no chores to be done today.

Now my parents go out sometimes on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. My baby sis goes to my grandmas down the street sometimes to. I mostly take advantage of the alone time to read a book. This night is about assassins. The main character is about to jump and stab the hidden blade into the spine of his target when all of a sudden, I hear a loud bang upstairs. I never heard it before. It was like an explosion. Another bang. I decide to investigate. I walk upstairs and wander around the kitchen and the living room when I hear it again. I find out that it is coming from Jennifer's room. I go up the stairs and knock on her door. As I knock, I hear a devilish, high pitched scream and then a scream that sounds like Jennifer conjured it. I cover my ears at the noise that was coming out of her room. I think its some kind of music so I open the door cautiously.

The author's comments:
I barely think that Im a good at writing so yeah