Neck of the Woods | Teen Ink

Neck of the Woods

By TrappedInMoonlight BRONZE, Alameda, California
TrappedInMoonlight BRONZE, Alameda, California

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death."

The sun was shining down bright, an optimistic omniscient god in the sky, shining down radiance on the Earth below. The green grass seemed to glow in the sun, natural beauty reflecting extravagance with every twinkle of a crystal like dew. Florals sprouted from the ground, a normal green stem, with a surprise of boundless color upon the top. Through the beauty and the Gaia,a hare sprung, prancing through with a precise intricate speed. The mother hare's mind raced with the thought of it's offspring, how foolish was she to leave them behind? The mammals profound ears then heard the dismal cry of fellow kin. She came upon her den at the neck of the woods, with eyes wide like almonds, and hair standing on end with fear. Her large male mate lay dead, ripped to pieces, and standing above the body, gore dripping from its mouth, was a large mangy wolf. It's attention was diverted, it's claws searing the soil to get to the crying fluff balls that lay within. Something came over the small animal, wither it be maturnal outrage, the loss of it's mate, or just fight or flight instinct, a certain unspeakable fury came over the hare. It tensed it's muscles and sprung at the animal, kicking furiously at the wolves flank with it's powerful little legs. The beast whirled around and bore it's large bloody fangs. The wolf snapped at the hare, time and time again, red jaws snapping in the ear in a futile attempt to get at the hare, which cleverly avoided each snap, and responded with a kick to the face. The wolf grew tired, it had already tasted blood today, and feasted on a fat hare, why waste it's time on this futile animal? The wolf didn't even know why it's mind ensued such a fury, little did the wolf know, the life altering disease known as Hydrophobia, was already coursing through the animals veins. Sick, tired, and bloody, the wolf left the furious hare. The mother hare's heart was pounding at a threatening speed. The animals instinct was to lay down, so she did, she relaxed, and let her muscles stop quivering.The hare felt peaceful. The wind brushed through it's fur. The little mother's eyes started to droop. Little did the hare know, it's eyes would not open again, for it's tiny vigorous heart stopped beating.

I thought of this idea when I was day dreaming out my window and thought of all the conflicts that Animals have to face sometimes. Enjoy.