The Darkness Within Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Darkness Within Chapter 1

By Ashura767 BRONZE, Fenton, Michigan
Ashura767 BRONZE, Fenton, Michigan

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows."
"The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us. It is the darkness in your own heart you should fear."

Prologue

Restoration at 85%

“It’s nearly there doctor,” said a young female. “89%. Sir, I think that this experiment might be a success.”

“Yes, the zero-type is nearly complete. If this experiment is a success then we will revolutionize the E.M.O.”
Restoration at 93%

“Yes, the organization will be very proud and will pay much for the zero-type. With this subject we will both be set for life.”
Restoration at 100%

“It’s time.”
Awakening Zero-Type Sample
*

*

*

*

*

The subject opened its eyes and saw two blurry figures on the outside of the cold, bubbling, water-filled container it was in. It watched as the figures walked closer. Then a crimson glow came from the subject’s eyes and the glass started to crack. The container shattered, scattering water and glass all across the lab room. The two figures appeared clearly now before the test subject, a young woman with mid-length brown hair and brown eyes. She looked very young and beautiful with a slim figure and elegant posture. The other was a middle aged man with short blond hair and blue eyes. He had an excited look on his face as though he had just accomplished something impossable. They both were wearing white lab coats so the subject figured them to be scientists.

“Hello,” said the man. “Do you understand what I’m saying?”

The subject looked at the man for a moment, and then looked down at its open hand. At first there was nothing, then the air around its hand got a bit darker and a shadowy ball started to take shape. In its hand, shadows started to form and come together to form a small black ball. The shadow ball grew until it filled the subject’s hand completely.

“Oh my god,” said the young woman. “We’ve made a shadow master, the rarest and strongest of the elementals. We’ve made a forgotten.” Smiling, she looked over at the doctor and saw a look of horror on his face.

“May the gods have mercy on our souls.”

Darkness.

Chapter 1

“Ashura, Ashura Anderson,” shouted the teacher.

Ashura jolted back to reality. “Huh?”

“Wake up, boy. Stop daydreaming and pay attention for once.”

“Well if you weren’t so damn boring then maybe I would,” mumbled Ashura.

“That’s strike one. Now stop talking.”

Ashura stood up and walked to the front of the class and grabbed some chalk. He looked at it and threw it out the window of the second story classroom. He opened his hand and dragged his nails across the chalkboard with an ear piercing screech, making everyone in the class, including Ash’s world history teacher, cringe from the terrible noise.

“That’s it,” Shouted the teacher. “One more thing and I’m sending you to the office. Any misbehavior whatsoever and you’re out!”
“One more thing, huh?” Ashura walked to the door, turned to his 11th grade teacher and said, “See you on the other side, you old b******.” With that he walked out of the classroom door, hearing a few giggles as he left.
*

*

*

*

*

“He’s something else, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he is. But he’s coming with us whether he likes it or not.”

“You make it sound like you want to kill him.”

“Well maybe I will. It all depends on his answer.”

“Well for his sake he’d better say yes then.”
*

*

*

*

*

“Mr. Anderson,” said the principal. “This is the third time this week that you’ve been in my office. Has something been bothering you?”

“Come on Mr. Wright, stop with the ‘Mr. Anderson’ thing. We’re friends right? Just call me Ash or Ashura if you want. But no, nothing’s bothering me. I’m just trying to have as much fun in school as I can before a beautiful summer in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. But of course my teacher is never letting me have my fun.”

“Well you don’t have to wait that much longer. You have about ten minutes before summer starts. Go on back to class and try not to get kicked out for the last few minutes.”

“Will do. See you next year.” Ashura got out of his seat and started walking to the door.

“Oh, Ashura, one more thing.” Ash turned to look at the principal. “Can you help me with this?” He held up a puzzle box.

Ashura smiled and took the box. “I’ll give it back when I’m done.”

“No, go ahead and keep it.” Ashura smiled and walked out the door. “You need it if you want to survive in this new world you’re about to enter.”
*

*

*

*

*

Ashura walked down the hall and went into the school’s bathroom. He went to the sink and let the cool water run over his hands. He cupped some water and splashed it to his face. He looked in the mirror and what he saw was the face of a normal sixteen year old. He had greenish-blue eyes and long straight hair. His hair color was always different from others his age, however. For as long as he could remember he had snow white hair. He figured he must have been half albino or something like that.

He was exactly six feet tall and had an athletic toned body. He was very athletic, but never had an interest for sports. He was wearing his normal attire; a black t-shirt with the silhouette of a wolf howling at the full moon, blue jeans, and sneakers.

He looked at the digital clock in the wall. “Seven more minutes,” he said. He left the bathroom and walked back to class.

When he got to class the teacher was lecturing, as usual. Ashura took his seat and looked up at the clock. He watched the time tick by. Finally, three…two…one…the bell rang and the class cheered. Ashura could hear the whole school celebrating. Summer had begun and Ashura smiled, ready for the freedom to come. He got up and walked out the door for the last time.

As he walked down the hall and a bunch of people passed and wished him a good summer. He walked down the stairs and went to his locker. He grabbed all of his things and when he shut the locker a girl in his grade was standing behind him.

Ashura thought for a minute then remembered her name. “Hey Jess, what’s up?”

“Hi, Ashura. Well…I was just wondering if you have a girlfriend. If you don’t would you consider going out with me?”

Ashura sighed. Why is it that every girl I meet wants to go out with me, he thought. Ashura was pretty popular with the girls. All of them wanted to go out with him because of his white hair and athletic body. None really knew him. Ash didn’t have that many friends because he never had the time to hang out during the school year, having to take care of his dad and the house. They never care about who I really am. They just care about my looks. I bet that Jess is probably the same way.

“First, let me ask you something,” he said. “Why is it that you want to go out with me?” He leaned back against his locker and waited for her answer. “Do you actually like me or do you just want me for my looks and bragging rights to your friends?”

She opened her mouth to say something, but paused. “Well…um…I-I.”

Ashura nodded, “I thought so. All you girls are the same in this school.” With that said he walked away and left her standing there, looking disappointed.

Ashura reached the double doors and exited the school. As he walked through the courtyard, he got the strange feeling that he was being watched, but when he turned around all he saw was kids pouring out of the school.

Then he heard, “Hey Anderson!” Ashura turned to see four seniors and Jess walking in his direction. When they got to him the boy in front said, “I heard that you turned down my little sister.” He was obviously Jess’s older brother. They looked almost identical with their red hair and green eyes. He was a few inches taller than Ash and looked like he could handle himself, because his muscles he showing through his shirt that was made to show them off.

Ashura gave the boy a look as if saying, yeah, so? “Yeah, I turned her down, big deal. She doesn’t even know me. The only reason she wants to go out with me is so she can brag to her friends that she’s going out with the tall, dark, and handsom, Ashura Anderson as I’ve heard them put it before” The four boys looked at Ashura with hate in their eyes. “Let me guess, you’re going to beat me up now.” The boys smiled and started to walk forward. Ashura rolled his eyes and sighed. Putting his bag down, he said “Or at least you can try.”

One of the four boys ran forward and went to punch Ashura, but at the last minute Ashura ducked to the side. As the boy was caught off guard, Ash flipped around and slammed his foot into the back of the boy’s side.

As the boy lay on the ground gasping for air, a second and third came for Ashura from both sides. Ashura ducked and let the two collide with each other. One lied on the ground holding his bleeding face while the other lay unconscious.

Ashura looked at the last boy, Jess’ older brother. Her brother ran up to Ashura and just as he was about to punch, Ash thrust his hand forward. He caught the punch with one hand and thrust two fingers into the boy’s throat with his free hand. The boy fell to his knees holding his throat, trying desperately to catch his breath.

Ashura picked up his bag and said, “I’ll see you next year, Jess.” He walked off the school grounds and started towards home.
*

*

*

*

*

“He’s got potential.”

“Potential? He completely wasted all four of those boys at once.”

“Yes, I guess he did. He will make a great slayer, with the proper training, of course.”

“He might not even need the training.”

“Even if he doesn’t, he still has to go though it. Everyone does.”

“I’m sick of waiting. I’m going to recruit this boy with or without you.”

“Very well. We will follow him home, and then confront him.”

Ashura Anderson was a notmal teenage boy. That is until he's visited by two strangers and gets thrown into the reality around him. Elementals exist, demons are real, and a nightmare is soon to become reality unless Ashura is able to stop it.