Exposure

I slither through the hallways, not wanting to be noticed. I hide behind random boys, swerve around cheerleaders, and try to not notice the girls wearing flip-flops in the middle of January. I duck through the library, taking the shortcut to my locker though there. No one seems to see me. I'm invisible.

It's a talent that I've mastered over my years at school. At first, I was able to mingle with other kids, but then it happened. Now my life is a mystery, a dangerous mission, if someone finds out my secret. And only one person knows.

But they try to find me, seeking me out every day, trying to expose me. They never get the chance. I dart hide, mix, blend, do whatever it takes to not be discovered. Call me an outlaw, but it's how my life is at school. I take the seats in the back, and never raise my hand. No one calls on me, and no one talks to me.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

But all that could be ruined, if he says.

Nothing changes today as I reach my locker at the end of the hallway. The cold metal stings my fingers as I fumble with the lock, getting my books, papers and folders. Girls with flamboyant manicures pass me to enter the bathroom. They don't see me, of course. But I see them. And I see him.

The worst part is... that he sees me. As we make eye contact, I can tell that he knows. He's not afraid to say what happened that fateful night. I escaped, but he was there.

He's like a boomerang. He goes away, but he always comes back. I am sick to my stomach as I see him. He can't tell them. He can't. I'll be up to my hairline in boiling hot water... no, oil. I'll go down faster than an Olympic diver.

But that's too late now. I have one split second to escape, out down the hall to a random classroom. He can tell I'm running, so he runs. No. This isn't happening. It can't be. It can't.

I sprint into a dark science classroom. Relieved, I dart under one of the tables. Unfortunately, he's caught my bluff. He stomps over to me, and I tremble. With strength, he tears off my faded worn jacket. There. A glimmer of light sparkles through the clouded skylight. I can faintly see his grim expression.

I'm caught.

thepreechyteenager said...
oh yes- very cool

Liy G. said...

you immediatly caught me up in the moment and had me wondering and craving for what was to come next. my mind seemed to want to go quicker than my eyes could carry it...

excellent.

nitegirl said...
wow that i actually really good, now i have to go rewrite everything i ever did cause its no where near as good as yours.  I want to read more.