Rising Up | Teen Ink

Rising Up

By capecodgirl BRONZE, Bedford, New Hampshire
capecodgirl BRONZE, Bedford, New Hampshire

"Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow"

Lawrence Clark Powell

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chapter 1

Ephesians 6:1 – “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.”

Lucy Harris slid farther down in her soft bed and pulled the bulky covers up over her head. Her small hand shook from holding the flashlight so long and her eyes were growing weak. Realizing she could be caught at any moment, Lucy knew she should go to sleep. But this book on Amelia Earhart was just too interesting to stop reading. Lucy Harris loved books. Whether they were about Thomas Edison inventing the light bulb or a book of poetry, she simply could not put it down. After being called names such as “four eyes” and “geek” by kids at school, Lucy’s way of escaping was to become immersed in a book. Lucy had just come upon the part where Amelia Earhart had decided to fly over the Atlantic Ocean when suddenly the covers were thrown off of her and Lucy found herself staring up at her mother whose arms were perched angrily on her hips. “Lucille Harris, you’re almost 10 years old! When are you going to learn? How many times have I told you, lights out after eight? It’s past eleven! And where are your glasses? You know you have to use them when you read!” Lucy glanced sheepishly up at her mother who stood waiting for an answer with pursed lips and a foot tapping the ground with a steady rhythm. “A million and one,” Lucy answered. “But I’m reading a book about Amelia Earhart and she’s about to fly the Atlantic and…” “Lucy,” interrupted her mother her tone softening a bit, “You’ve been through six books this week. I love that you enjoy reading so much, but rules are rules.” She held out her hand and Lucy reluctantly placed the book in it. Lucy knew her mother loved her, but she also knew when rules were broken punishments were given. But after Lucy had turned off the flashlight and kissed her mother goodnight, she saw a slight pull at the corners of her mother’s mouth and Lucy fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Chapter 2

I John 3:11- “For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.”

When Lucy got home from school the next day, she raced up to her bedroom so she could become absorbed in her book once again. However, it wasn’t until Lucy was halfway up the stairs that she remembered last night’s development. She trudged up the rest of the stairs and plopped down on her bed as if carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. She fought the tears that threatened to come as the day’s difficulty came rushing back to her. Ricky Johnson was the leader of the group. If he made fun of her, his posse soon followed suit. As Lucy recalled the names they had called her, tears ran freely down her face, despite her resistance. Lucy’s thoughts were interrupted by her dad calling for her to come downstairs. She quickly wiped away her tears and descended the stairs. “We’re going to pick up Gram and Gramps at the airport,” announced her mom. Lucy put on her jacket and followed her brother to the car. Talking and joking with her family on the way to the airport and the thought of seeing her grandparents brightened Lucy’s day. When they arrived at the airport, she ran to hug Gram and Gramps with a squeal of joy. After everyone had embraced and Dad and Gramps were off getting the luggage, Lucy spotted Ricky Johnson from the corner of her eye. Her head whipped around and she saw him making faces as he walked over to make fun of her, no doubt. Lucy panicked. Being called names in front of the school was bad enough, but in front of her whole family? Lucy took off at a run for the bathrooms knowing she wouldn’t be able to bear it. When Lucy arrived at the bathrooms, breathing hard, she figured waiting a little while until Ricky left was a good plan. But when she came back out to join her family, they were nowhere to be found.

Chapter 3

Isaiah 41:10- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Lucy curled up on one of the airport seats and sobbed. Where were they? She had looked for hours, but there was no trace of them. Lucy knew she hadn’t left for that long, but she also knew she never should have left in the first place. It was all her fault. They had probably forgotten about her in all the excitement with her grandparents and gone home. This thought triggered a new spring of tears. Images raced through Lucy’s head of what could happen to her and she closed her eyes and wept. “Well, hello there, sweetheart.” Lucy opened her eyes at the sound of a warm feminine voice and saw a strange woman standing before her. With short red hair, a brown leather jacket and goggles on her head she reminded Lucy of someone, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. The woman held out her hand, “Amelia Earhart, at your service.” Lucy’s eyes opened wide with disbelief as she shook the woman’s hand. “You’re Amelia Earhart?” “Yes, m’am, and who might you be?” Lucy told Amelia her name and what had happened to her. Amelia had an odd way of making people want to pour out their hearts to her. “Well,” Amelia declared, “Let’s see if we can’t have some fun tonight anyway, hmm? Your parents will surely be here by morning.” Amelia motioned for her to follow and walked swiftly out of the exit and outside. The chilly air made Lucy wish she had a jacket, but it was indeed a beautiful night. However, with the runway lights on Lucy could see a beautiful red plane with gold stripes, smaller and much different than the usual ones at the airport. “Well, hop in to the little red bus,” said Amelia. Lucy stepped in, sat down next to Amelia, and buckled her seat belt. When they had taken off and were gliding in the air, Lucy glanced outside. She gasped. The magnificent stars hanging outside looked as if each one had been placed there with the utmost care. It was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen. “Quite a sight, isn’t it?” Amelia asked softly. “I remember one night when I was flying. The moon had set and I was alone with the stars. Flying might not be all fine sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.”

Chapter 4

2nd Chronicles 15:7- “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

“Well, here we are,” declared Amelia. Lucy stepped outside onto brown dirt and discovered she was on a baseball field. “Good evening, Miss Earhart,” said a man with a baseball uniform on. “Mr. Ruth, what a pleasure to see you again, this is Lucy Harris.” The man turned to Lucy and held out his hand, “Babe Ruth”. Lucy could only gawk at him. “Babe Ruth? The greatest baseball player ever?” Babe laughed, “You might say that. Say, do you want to play some baseball?” He winked at her. Soon it was Lucy and Amelia versus Babe, the score all tied up. “It’s the bottom of the ninth folks,” announced Babe in a deep voice, “Lucy Harris up at bat. Babe Ruth throws a curveball and…” Lucy hit a clean hard shot and took off at a run. Babe ran to get the ball as Lucy rounded first base. Babe was nearing her now and she could see home plate, but about 10 feet away from it she tripped and came down hard. Amelia ceased cheering for a moment and everything was silent. Then Amelia burst out “Come on Lucy, show him what you’re made of!” With Babe only a hand’s length away from her, Lucy stood up and with a burst of energy slid into home plate. Amelia cheered wildly and Lucy could almost hear the crowd’s roar. Babe stood with his hands on his knees panting, but smiling widely. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”

Chapter 5

Psalm 37:4- Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

“Lucy!” Lucy opened her eyes at the sound of her mother’s voice. Her mother squeezed her tightly then began to question. “Where have you been? We’ve been looking all over for you!” “Mom, I flew in a plane with Amelia Earhart and played baseball with Babe Ruth!” Her mother smiled. “Well, I’m glad you’re all right, but don’t ever go off like that again!” “I’m sorry I ran off alone mom. It won’t happen again. I’m not afraid of Ricky’s teasing anymore, I’m even going to try to be nice to him tomorrow at school,” said Lucy. “That’s wonderful sweetheart,” her mother replied as she hugged Lucy again. “Let’s go tell everyone I found you and go home,” suggested her mom. So, mother and daughter started down the hallway, Lucy chattering about her adventure the whole time. She only stopped for a moment when she looked out the window and saw a red plane with gold stripes whiz by.

I was required to write a short story for an English class. I ended up being very inspired and sending it to a child in a hospital.