Where To Now | Teen Ink

Where To Now

By ThinkLikeAWriter BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida
ThinkLikeAWriter BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I am not"

*CLICK* *BANG*
Those were the two sounds that changed my life. Tears streamed down my face as I struggled to escape the grasp of the shooter. I looked away, not wanting to see the life leave my mother's eyes. She was all I had left in this world. I was an only child, and my father left before I was even a year old. The shooter suddenly shoved me against the wall of my living room, holding me by my neck, and put the gun to my head, an evil smirk on his face. I wanted him to kill me, at least then I wouldn't have to go through the rest of my life in pain. That's when the words my mom has told me since I was only ten years old finally made sense, like she knew that one day this would happen. They now echoed in my head, louder then ever, "When everything in your life is gone, that's when you have the most to live for." I was brought back to what was happening at that moment by the shooter talking.
"Anything you wanna say before you join your mom?" he asked with that smirk still on his face. I took a deep breath, my mom's words still going through my head. I stared the man right in his eyes, and shook my head no. "That's a shame." He cocked his gun and put his finger on the trigger. His muscles in his hand tightened as he was about to shoot. I almost let him kill me, but I figured I should live by my mom's words. I felt it was her dieing wish. I quickly took the wrist of the shooter's hand that held the gun, and shoved it with all my strength upward just as he shot. I moved it just in time, for it hit the wall space right above my head. While he was still in shock of his miss, I kneed him in the only place I could, where I was positive it would make him release my neck. I then grabbed the gun from his hand and stepped back, pointing it at him. He recovered quickly, then started laughing hysterically when he saw me pointing the gun at him. "You're gonna shoot me?" he asked between laughs. I didn't answer, because honestly, I didn't know the answer myself. He walked slowly towards me, convinced I wasn't going to shoot him. I cocked the gun, hoping it would get him to stop coming towards me, but unfortunately it didn't, he just laughed even more. He walked right up to me, so that the barrel of the gun touched his chest. "Shoot me," he demanded. My hand started shaking violently. I tried to steady it with my other hand, but that didn’t help. He grabbed my neck, pushing me against a wall again. His grip tightened and I began gasping for breath. "I don't need a gun to kill you," he stated as that smirk came back to his face. I looked down at my mom laying there, lifeless, and her words echoed through my head again. I slowly looked back up at the man strangling me and shut my eyes as tight as possible. My hands still shaking, I took the last bit of energy I could feel in myself and pulled the trigger. I started gasping when his hand loosened from my neck. I dropped down to my knees and stared wide-eyed at the man that I just shot, as he collapsed to the ground. Someone then started banging on the front door to my house.

"Scott, did you kill them yet," a deep voice boomed from the other side of the door. They were obviously with the man, and I realized if I stayed there they would probably finish what Scott couldn't. I got off my knees and sprinted to my back door, the gun still in my hand. I looked back one more time at my mom and a tear fell down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away with my hand then ran out the door as fast as I could, uncertain of where my life was headed.