the whistle

The whistle blows. We both get up. The ref raises one hand but not the other. One walks away victorious the other in defeat. But only one was laughing.
I hear my name called. I walk over and start to warm up. Thousands of thoughts race through my mind. But only one makes nervous. That thought was ‘this is my first wrestling match as a high school wrestler.’
I see who I’m wrestling. I think to myself ‘he doesn’t look too hard.’ I was wrong. Very wrong. We step onto the mat. We shake hands and get ready to wrestle. The whistle blows and I know then that I was done.
He soon has me in a collar tie. He goes for the duc under and gets it. I try to say up but instead I fall. I try to stand up but instead I get cradled.
All of this happens in under a minute. Before I knew the whistle blew. We both get up. The ref raises one hand but not the other. One walks away victorious the other in defeat. I the one in defeat walk away laughing. Knowing that I gave it my all and was beat by a more experienced wrestler.