My Escape Button | Teen Ink

My Escape Button

By Kat Klein BRONZE, Commack, New York
Kat Klein BRONZE, Commack, New York

Often times in life, people wish they could break away from reality and get relax in their own personal sanctuary. What if this choice was really possible? Imagine if simply pushing the escape button on your keyboard, one could actually get away from all their worries and stress. If I had this option my escape button would lead me to my favorite part of the world.

Last year, my aunt had a wedding in the country of the Dominican Republic. My mom’s entire side of the family was originally born there, and came to the United States over 40 years ago. When I got to travel to the Dominican Republic, it was the first time I had ever been out of the country, and it was my favorite vacation ever. Being able to visit a country that holds part of my ethnic heritage was an amazing feeling. I had never really felt closer to my family, than I did during that week away from home, school, and drama. If I had the chance to go back there, relax on the sunny beaches, and learn about my heritage I would in a heart beat.

The escape button of my life would lead me to my opinion of a sanctuary. The Dominican Republic would be the perfect get away for me, and I would enjoy every minute of it. Some people may say they wish they could escape from reality and just take a break, if only it were that simple. If only there really was an escape button for everyone.