Vocab Quiz 1 | Teen Ink

Vocab Quiz 1

November 24, 2009
By Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Haley Thiel SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My college exam is tomorrow. My life will be determined by 3 PM. I’m not as prepared as I should be! I walked aimlessly through the crowded streets of Milwaukee. I was inane to think walking by myself would be safe, but my judgment wasn’t there. I was under duress. This test meant the world to me.

I had heard about the rampant crime rate in Milwaukee and didn’t think it would be a problem. The governor said it was inexorable and they had tried to lower it, but it seemed like their attempts were failures.

Not thinking about this flagrant news, I kept walking on my own in this dangerous city. Suddenly, this man stopped and asked me where State Street was. I pointed to my left and he proceeded. He held his gun clandestinely. There was no way I could have know what was about to happen. It turns out he didn’t need to know where State Street was. Once I turned the corner and was alone…there he was. Pointing his gun directly at me.

This culprit was standing with his silver gun, and I had no idea what to do. He asked me for my possessions…my keys, wallet, cell phone, iPod, computer. I decided to concur with the culprit and gave him my valuable possessions. I thought to myself…this man has all the wrong ethics. Why would he do this to me?

Against my better judgment, I started talking to him. Studying for that exam was still on my mind, and I was not going to let this man take away from my study time.

The gun was fake, and the poor guy was homeless. He gave me my valuables back in return for a nice meal, clothes, and cash. I decided not to turn him in.
Weeks later, the governor was on TV again…good news!! The culprit the police have been chasing for years has disappeared (The “Silver Gun” as he’s referred to)! The governor then admonished him to leave the gun at home and don’t come back. He listened and never disrupted the city again with his foolish antics. The city is one step closer now to becoming crime free!