Cinnamon Wonder Bread | Teen Ink

Cinnamon Wonder Bread

October 21, 2009
By Chandler Davis BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Chandler Davis BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This evening as I was hobbling along, through the streets in England I noticed that the bakery on the corner of the street had 3 loaves of freshly bakes cinnamon bread lying in the window. I could only imagine the taste of it as I smelled the warm sweet butter toasting on the bread. All I could think about was how hungry I was since I hadn’t eaten in days. I quickly looked around either sides of me to see if anyone was around. Without thinking of my escape plan, I snatched up those loaves of bread and darted off. As I took my first leap of freedom with the food, I heard a loud snap in my right knee. I hadn’t even remembered about my crippled leg! I fell to the ground along with my beautiful bread that was now covered in dirt. I managed to lift my head a bit just to see a horse running at me at full speed. This horse, however, was carrying a passenger. I just knew it was the police coming for me. I slowly rose to my feet, thinking I would be on my way back to the orphanage shortly. As the horse approached me, the young man jumped off. Approaching me I could hear him calling my name, “James, James!”But when I looked at his face, it was very familiar, for it was my brother in crime, Robby! At this moment, I couldn’t have been more excited to see him. As he tossed my limp, hurting body over the horse, he scooped up the food, dusted off the loaves and we rode into the darkness of the streets cherishing every flavor of our delicious stolen treasures.