The Young Smuggler

It seems unbearable to be singled out just because of your religion, your color or just simplify different. I should know. Today I wait to hear the front door open even through I knew he was not coming back. My brother joined the Gestapo just a few months ago. My mom, dad and I were so proud. It seemed like something you should be happy about… Yesterday morning I found out that my brother was a smuggler…and he was immediately shot. Even though we are being watched more then usually, here I am standing outside of the ghettos walls…

“It must be done…” I thought to myself. My hand felt the ruff, red brick scraping my hand. I looked up to see a towering wall. " There must be a way in." I squeezed tightly on the basket of food and other stuff. Then slowly paced around on the sidewalk.

Finally I saw a huge opening. I checked to make sure it was safe. There I saw two large, buff, men on both side of the opening. I slowly turned around and tiptoed silently the other way. "There must be a crack somewhere." It felt like hours as I walked around the giant wall. I started to lose hope...But then I saw it. There on the bottom of the wall was a hole just big enough that I can get through. I bent down to see the sharp, rigid hole. All a sudden I heard someone bellow something. I looked back to see three Gestapo men.

Right then I started going into the hole, then I started cascading down the sharp edged hole. soon I found myself in a dark, room. I looked at my elbow to see scrap marks and soon realized that the scrap marks were all over my body. I felt numb as if I can't move. Soon enough I heard a gunshot. It felt as if someone was hitting my chest with a drum stick as my heart kept thumping. I started to galloped out of the abandoned room and then stop to see debris laying on the dusty ground. I looked up to see a gray sky. "Is this it? Isn't anybody here in this ghetto."

Soon I saw a tiny head poke out behind a rock. His hair was the color of the brown dirt and his face was pale. He ran out from behind the rock and a tall and skinny women chased after him. She grabbed the tiny infant by the shoulder. My hand reached out with the basket. At first the women looked as if she was about to turn the other way but then she slowly walked towards me. I gently handed the basket to her. She nodded as if she was saying thanks. Then the women I turned around to see two lights pointing in our direction. I heard friction in between the wheel of the car and the rocks as the car came closer. I started to run as if my life depended on it. In fact my life did depend on it. Soon I was back in the same abandon room and carefully climbed up the hole.

Finally I saw the clear black sky. I knew I was free. I knew I tried to do the right thing but was it worth it? I gave a basket to a random Jewish family but I led the Gestapo to them maybe they escaped, hopefully... Then I looked at my scraped up arm... I knew I was safe and I tried...but maybe it was best if I did not smuggle. I slowly started to walk back feeling guilty but then realized something... That I was probably one of the only boys my age to be a smuggler and witnessed the ghetto and the truth... Maybe just maybe I did find out something beyond treasure. It was not such a good thing but it is hard to find the truth and now that I did I would past the truth on...

AaronLawrence said...
There were way too many grammatical errors for me to finish this (simplify differant???).  I understand stand we all make mistakes but at least proof read this before submitting it next time.  I do have to say your writing style is mature, but nobody will see this if its ridden with childish mistakes.   

RLJoy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm :
thanks for the critism I'll work on my spelling and grammar mistakes next time.

LaDyElFuNkOe said...
Oct. 22, 2010 at 5:59 am:
OMG!!  i LOVE this...  so touching T_T

Mar. 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm :
thanks! :)

AnnonymousFate said...
This was really good as well. I felt like I was actually there.

Michaela S. said...
That was crazy good! Did you have to do a ton a research to write this?

Oct. 22, 2009 at 6:13 pm :
thanks for the comment i didnt have to do any research really bc I was learning about it at school

writingfan123 said...
WOW! you are a great writer! It was vary good and discripitave

RLJoy replied...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm :
thanks for the comment

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 3, 2009 at 8:42 am:
Very good descriptions, and I really like how the boy was doing right, despite the consequences. You did very well in your descriptions, like this part -"it felt as if someone was hitting my chest with a drum stick as my heart kept thumping". Very nice job. Keep up the good work!

RLJoy replied...
Oct. 3, 2009 at 8:53 am :
thanks for the comment