The Red Button | Teen Ink

The Red Button

Summer was here! I had just woken up and not at a regular time because it was officially summer break. No school. No waking up early. Not care in the world. The only thing on my mind was summer and my friends.

I couldn’t sit in bed all day on the first day of summer. I got out of bed as well as starting to get ready. My best friend Izzy and I had promised we would hangout the first day of no school. She just lived down the street so I grabbed my bike and rode down there. On my way down to her house I saw the new park that was being built a couple blocks away.I wonder why they were building another park if they had just built one a couple streets over about a year ago? Was there something wrong with other parks? How was this one going to be different? I was so interested in whatever the reasoning for building a new park was. I threw my bike down in Izzy’s driveway and ran up to the door. Before I had a chance to knock she opened the door. “It’s summer!” Izzy said as she gave me a big hug. We ran into Izzy's house and grabbed juice boxes. Then we changed into our bathing suits along with taking a big jump in the pool. “Splash” Izzy and I swam and swam and swam. “Hey Lily I’m going to go grab us some towels. Be right back!” “Izzy told me.” I floated on my back and looked at the sky. The sun was setting and I was still wondering what that whole new park thing was about. But I guess it didn’t really matter because it was summer and I should just be having fun and hanging out wi- “Catch!” “Izzy screamed throwing a towel at me” Thank you. Well what should we do now? “I know!” “We can take a bike ride while the sun is still setting.” That's a great idea Izzy. We got on our bikes and started riding around. Izzy, follow me. I want to check something out. “Sure” Izzy said, but what is it? On my way to your house I passed by a new park. “But there was just one built over there about a year ago.” She said pointing many streets down. I know that's why I want to check it out. You know to see what it's all about. We never know, maybe they are building it for a specific reason. As we start riding I see a big sign that says “RED RIBBON PARK OPENING TOMORROW”! Let’s go check it out Izzy say’s riding her bike towards the park. As we get closer and closer we see a red button with a little sign above it that reads “Press button for early access.” We were uncertain about this sign. “It could have been a random person who taped this here” Izzy tells me. Yeah but we don’t know that. “ I wouldn’t take the chances,” Izzy say’s as I reach over to press the button. “Don’t.” Just then I look up and see whiteness falling from the sky. Oh no! What did I do! I ruined our perfect summer. “How could we have gone back to winter?” Izzy says. You were right. It is because I pressed the button. Some random person must have lied and knew this would happen if we pressed the button. As I started to look around I noticed the red button sitting in the basket of my bike. I picked it up and read the bottom of the button which read. “ This button has been a curse for a long time. The only way to undo this curse is to take the button to another new park and leave it there with a sign that says “Press button for early access.” If you don’t do this in under one hour the curse wil no longer be able to go away.” “Wow,” Izzy replied. I know we have to hurry! “Wait!” “We have to go home and change into warm clothes.” Well let's hurry up because we don’t have a lot of time! Izzy and I rode home as fast as we could. We run inside and notice her parents have just put all the winter wear away since it was summer and they won’t be needing it anymore. “ We have to go to the attic because that's where everything is, '' Izzy told me. After we went upstairs into the attic as well as getting our winter clothes, the time on the button said “30 minutes”. We had a half hour to go find a new park. This shouldn’t be too hard because we had a lot of parks near us. Izzy and I go to the nearest park which is about five minutes away, only to find out that it didn’t work. As we placed the button at the park the curse didn’t go away. “I think it has to be a certain spot,” Izzy said. We placed the button in so many different places and the time remained three minutes. What are we going to do? This park is so big it could be anywhere! “Wait a second, if the button was placed right at the entry way at the old park then wouldn’t the right spot be at the entryway of this park? Izzy asked me. That's right! We only have fifty seconds so let’s hurry! Izzy and I ran as fast as we could to the entryway of the park. We placed the button right in the middle of the big sign that read “BLUE RIBBON PARK”. With only ten seconds left we start to see a sun shining through the clouds. Snow melted and green grass appeared. Finally we are out of that curse. “Next time we see a button I will be running far away from it,” Izzy said while laughing. Me too! Now come on, let's go home and change. Finally, let's start our summer for real this time!