Astrid’s Story Part 1 | Teen Ink

Astrid’s Story Part 1

By MikaGH GOLD, Bridgeport, West Virginia
MikaGH GOLD, Bridgeport, West Virginia

“Anyone can succeed if they have the skills to move forward”

The first thing Astrid saw was her mother, and you might be thinking well isn’t that normal? And how does she remember being a baby? Well… the answer is that Astrid was never a human in the first place! She was created, and cursed at birth by the fallen god lord Sidonie who was casted out of the heavens and cursed to forever roam the earth passing on the curse of the gods to anything or anyone who got close to her especially her offspring. And halfway because she wasn’t human and half because of the curse Astrid aged slower than human children so she could remember everything up to the moment when she was born. And every 10 years Astrid would only grow 1 year so by the time she was a year old she was walking, talking, and doing everything you’d expect a 2nd grader to do perfectly with no problem. Maybe the only time Astrid fell or messed up talking was in the range when she was a newborn and 7 months old and when she first started walking, she was only 3 weeks old not to mention she started talking at 2 weeks old as well. But she was still very shy because her mother had shut her in and refused to let her out of their home until she was 10 to avoid the possibility of anyone finding out her secret. So even after she was allowed to leave and go out whenever she pleased the only other human like figure that she’s ever seen before was her mother. Lord Sidonie had long flowy lushes' locks of navy-blue hair, accompanied with eyes that looked like someone just took 2 eyeball shaped diamonds and placed them into her eye socket. And Astrid was lucky to inherit those things too but sense this was the only thing that she’s ever seen before she thought that all humans looked the same way. But after 100 years of being a shut in Lord Sidonie finally let her see the outside world for herself. It scared Astrid in definitely but that was before she met a little 10-year-old boy named Leon! The prison was located on top of Romans biggest mountains at the time which happened to be very close were Astrid lived. So naturally one of the first places she explored with her new freedom was the prison. She grew to like watching the prisoners inside their cells she liked the way that each and every human was different, and all their personalities so eventually she found humans to be cute creatures. But one day Astrid was walking around the prison like usual and she noticed a new prisoner… he was very young he was probably the youngest Astrid has ever seen in the prison before. He looked maybe about 9 to 10 years old, he was skinny, and laying in the corner of his cell dying of dehydrated so naturally Astrid would feel bad for the human but at this time when she first saw him, he seemed to be unconscious, so Astrid just kept walking along to see the other prisoners. But the next time she saw him he was awake barley keeping himself together, so Astrid introduced herself and gave him a pouch of water. And in return he introduced himself as Leon Duesdedit a discarded noble boy in prison on behalf of his mother. Astrid found him fascinating and unlike any other human she’s ever seen before because usually Astrid would only see adult humans especially in these parts, so it was interesting to see someone with the same physical appearance as her. She absolutely adored this boy and kept a watchful eye on him during every hour of every day. But one day she offered to help him escape, and he accepted hesitantly. It took 2 days of preparations, but Astrid was finally done and went to retrieve him that same night. She helped him break out of his cell, sneak passed guards, and successfully got him to the outside. Well only for a moment of two because almost as soon as they thought they’ve gotten away Leon was shot in the back with an arrow that priced all the way though to his stomach. Leon was definitely a goner… but Astrid didn’t want to accept it! It was her first ever run in with death and it made her feel something that she’s never felt before. Sadness. Astrid had no idea what to do but try and comfort him and cry until he died. Leon didn’t even realize he’d been shot until a minute later when he finally looked down at his stomach before accepting his fate. And Astrid absolutely hated this beyond belief even, so it got the attention of her mother. Lord Sidonie then rushed to her child’s aid and was able to successfully gift Leon with immortality by turning him into a vampire like Astrid was. So, after that Astrid knew it would be a while before he woke up so she took him to her home and let his unconscious body rest in her bed until he woke up which would be a long 9 days later. Astrid and Leon were inseparable after that! They’d play in the streets, gather animal blood together, play in the meadow together. Astrid was also the one who taught Leon the basics of being a vampire. And unlike her mother Lord Sidonie she only took blood from animals thus she passed that on to Leon too! Because Astrid did not want to cause harm to humans finding them cute like she did Leon. So, her and Leon only hunted animals together so that they didn’t die a cruel pointless death of not getting any blood. But sometimes it wasn’t enough sometimes even tho they got blood they were still thirsty out of their minds. It was excruciatingly painful for them both to go through. So, one night when Astrid was left alone, she made her way down the mountain and to the village… and without thinking broke into the first villagers house that she was able to spot while her vision started to go blurry from the pain. She burst down the door with one simple kick waking up the owners of the house whose father came rushing out of the other room with a cheap looking sword. Astrid then without hesitation went over to the man and tackled him to the floor getting stabbed though the stomach in the process. Astrid then pulled out the sword and disarmed the man when she finally got him to the ground unfazed. The man was now on full panic mode as the fear officially set in that him and his family were going to die a merciless death that night as he was face to face on the ground with Astrid laying on top of him holding him down forcefully with all her strength to the floor of his own home. She then leaned down to the man's neck and sank her fangs deep into his flesh drinking every last drop of blood the man had to offer her leavening 2 holes on the right side of his neck. So, when the man went limp Astrid got up and moved on to the room the man came out of coming face to face with who must have been his wife and 4 children. And needless to say, that Astrid showed them no mercy… and when Astrid finally came back to her senses, she was already standing in a house of dead bodies of what use to be a poor family already barely making it as it was in the village. Astrid could not help but cry about what she’s just done. She had completely betrayed her morals…

The next night Astrid could not live with herself, so she ran away only alerting her mother while her main goal was to abandon Leon as for, he could survive on his own now. And the next person she would meet was in 50 years and Astrid was now of the form of a 15-year-old by now. And the girls name was Ruby! She was a poor little slave girl from a child farm in 264 B.C. And Astrid had been attacking slaves at her master's residence for a while now to fulfill her thirst each night. When one day Ruby had caught her in the act of killing Octavia who was her victim for that evening. Ruby would scream in horror of the sight before lunging at her being able to successfully land one blow with a sharp wooden spear in the arm causing Astrid to drop Octavia’s body dropping it to the floor. But even tho Ruby was only 8 years old at the time she was able to catch Astrid off guard so much that she was able to land a second blow this time in the stomach. Astrid quickly healed tho and grabbed Ruby by her neck making her drop her weapon. But sense Astrid admired her strength at such a young age she decided it would be a waste to just kill the young girl, so she came up with idea to free the girl from her master by turning her into a vampire. So, Astrid bit her own hand until she bleed and forcefully made Ruby drink it against her will. So, Ruby naturally struggled to get away from her but by the time Astrid let her break free it was too late… she had already consumed the right amount of blood and was already turning. Ruby then hit the ground desperately trying to catch her breath again. But soon enough she turned pale and the pain of her body’s cells started to set in leading her to let out a blood curdling scream throughout the property before passing out. Astrid then took her unconscious body in her arms and brought her to her mansion to finish turning. And once Ruby was turned, she clung to Astrids side while Astrid thought her everything she needed to survive as a vampire which was stuff like how to stay out of sight of humans, how to sneak around the village, and what was the best way to lure away and attack a human.

But soon enough the B.C era came to an end, and her mother Lord Sidonie had put her away in a sleeping chamber to hide her away while Lord Sidonie would never be seen again never to appear or help Astrid another day in her life. But the next time Astrid awoke she was awakened in the Victorian era which meant she slept through what was left of the B.C era, the Stone Age, the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, the Middle Age medieval era, the renaissance, and many more other eras before she woke up in her old estate located in Rome 452 years later. But sense she was locked away in an endless slumber her aging stopped amend she was truly immortal trapped in a what was now 19-year-old body. But she awoke alone in her chamber with no other presence within miles of her location. Astrid then got up and left the chamber of her estate to find her mansion filled with dirt, vegetation, and cobwebs as for it had not been attended to for over 400 years now but when she looked down the mountain, she saw that the same village was still up and running like before. So, she went back in her old estate to get dressed and got a pitch-black cloak to cover her beautiful glittering navy-blue hair from the public eye. Then after she was done, she made her way down the mountain for the last time and boarded a boat to England after learning what year it was because England was my populated than Rome at the time and Astrid would definitely be needing blood soon after awakening from her long slumber.

After a long 14-day journey with Astrid secretly drinking blood from other passengers she had finally made it to England! Now Astrid wasn’t a fool which is why when she arrived, she bought another mansion almost immediately, and was not too hesitant to steal things around town for her to sell so she could eventually fill it with furniture to blend in with the other humans every time she lured them over. And either way she liked a little decoration anyways. Her mansion gave off a gothic dark academia feeling. But that’s how Astrid liked it! And even tho she never slept she made sure that her bedroom was the most presentable room of all. As for she would be spending most of her time in there hiding from the suns gaze against her skin. Even tho the sun couldn’t actually hurt her her skin was still extremely sensitive to its toxic rays and it would be more likely to give her away to the humans. So, her bedroom windows were bored up from the inside out with extra black felted curtains draping over the carefully crafted golden windowsills over every single window, with only a singular candle to light it all. Not to mention the luxury Cotton, and sheep’s wool mattress that she was able to obtain. And even tho she had only awoken from her slumber a month ago she was already living it up once again for the 2nd time in her life! But she couldn’t help but wonder about Leon, ad Ruby from time to time… she was even questioning if they were still alive and if so, where were they currently? And even tho she abandoned Leon purposely she still couldn’t help but but think of him every once in a while. It pained her drastically and might’ve been the last drop of humanity within her. She even tended to stare her victims directly in the eyes with a malevolent look on her face letting them know that she had not even a single ounce of sympathy left in her entire body. Because at this point all Astrid saw in humans was a substance that kept her alive. But what’s the use of being alive if you didn’t have a companion to keep you company ? So one night Astrid reached in her closet to throw on her professionally made black silky cape that she bought from a local clothing vender in town. And went to the local tavern where she would seduct a group of at least 5 men as always and sat herself and all 5 men in one of the back booths of the tavern. But once she found one that she liked her eyes drifted on a young woman maybe at the age of 17 walking into the tavern wearing what looked like a cheap version of a white fur cape accompanied by her straggly black colored curls seaping through the front of her hood. But the girl did not say a single word she just took her hood down to reveal her emerald green eyes, and her white pasty skin to everyone at the tavern before rushing to take a seat at the bar. The bar keeper then revealed her name to be Columbia as for what Astrid was seeing she seemed to be a regular there. Even tho Astrid being a regular herself has never crossed paths with her before nor seen her around the main town area. But either way Astrid rushed up from her seat and sat down next to her at the bar. And surprisingly Columbia was frightened about someone sitting next to her. So she covered her face with her hood and looked away continuing to drink her wine with little sips at a time. Astrid then ordered a drink for herself before trying to talk to Columbia. But even after Astrid ordered her drink and continued to try and talk to her Columbia kept her back turned and refused to answer her. She then finished her drink and delicately set it down on the bar couter before walking out into the darkness. But Astrid didn’t like that so without even taking a sip she left her glass on the table before following her around town. Astrid then stalked Columbia around the town area for two hours until Columbia retreaded back to her home for the night. Astrid would keep following her into her house unnoticed as Columbia changed out of her fur cloak, and made her way into bed after a cup of tea. Astrid decided to look around her house which was quite small compared to hers. Columbia’s house was only two floors with three rooms on each like a little town home. And Astrid found it a bit odd because all the houses that she ever lived in were huge mansions. But after Astrid finished looks around she hung her head over Columbia’s bed starring at her cold place face. And Astrid took a strong Liking to her so she quickly came up with the idea to make her a companion, and get her out of this dump. So Astrid took a her nails, and cut three deep scratch marks into her wrist before taking her free hand and slightly opening Columbia’s mouth being careful not to wake her up. She then proceeded to hang her hand only six inches above Columbia and watched her blood drip passed her pale pink lips. But then suddenly Columbia sat up in a panic starting to feel her cells die. She then screamed in pain, and grabbed her chest while Astrid just sat back and healed up her scratch wounds. Columbia still had no idea what was going on, but she managed to turn her head through the pain and spot Astrid watching her with a grin plastered on her face. But just like Ruby the pain was so unbearable that she would pass out…

If you remember Leons story then you probably remember Astrid! So this story is all about Astrid and how she came to be, and what creature she is. We also get to go more in detail with her mom! Who was also in Leons story. 

This was supposed to be just one part but i did not have enough time to make it all at once. And it was getting too long so I’m splitting it into two or maybe even three parts if it comes down to it.

Enjoy!