buck down | Teen Ink

buck down

October 13, 2023
By Anonymous

In the morning as the first rays of light painted the sky in orange and pink. Jake a big time hunter and his friend mark set out on their annual deer hunting trip deep into the heart of the montana mountains. With rifles in their hands they had high hopes of returing with a monster buck. 

The dense forset had a frighting silence that was only broken by the occasional rustle of leaves or the distant chatter of squirls. the two friends moved cautiously, there foot steps making little noise in the fallen leaves. With there minds set on shooting a monster buck they keep going.

  Hours passed without any sign of a big buck let alone any bucks. Boredom started to set in and they decided to split up in hopes of jumping something. Jake heads deeper into the forest, and mark decides to go to the side of the mountain. 

As jake snakes through the big trees and the dense brush, he sees something to his left. His heart races as he is raising his rifle, aming carefully at the monster buck he had been waiting for. Its antler thick and tall, it was atleast a 12 pointer! This was the moment he had been waiting for.

He took a deep breath to try a calm his shaking hands, he than slowly squeezed the trigger. the gun shot echoed through the forest, and the buck fell to the ground. Victory hit jake has he sat there waiting to make sure that the deer was dead. He was still super pumped about the buck as he was walking over to the deer, but that was short lived. 

suddenly the ground beneath him gave away, and he plummeted into a hidden pit, the fall knocking the wind out of him. Disoriented and in lots of pain jake tries to stand up but he falls down right away because he has broken his leg. Jake starts to panic as he realizes he was trapped in this pit unable to climb out.

Hours go by and desperation gets to jakes head. He calls for help over and over again hoping to be heard by someone. But no one hears him. As night falls jakes situation grew awful 

He had no food not water and the cold of the forest seeped into his bones.

Back at camp mark grew more worried as darkness came in and there was still no sign of jake. He started to call some buddies for help and a search party was oganized. They combed the forest there flashlights cutting through the darkness as if was a knife cutting through paper. Untill finally marks beam fell upon a buck laying on the ground. Mark tells everyone that he found something and cautiously walks over to the buck. But as he walks over he see the big hole.

Jake was rescued but the buck, the only reason jake was in the hole, was forgotten in the whole thing. They returned home with a story of survival and a lesson the nature is unpredictable.