The start of Leon Duesdedit | Teen Ink

The start of Leon Duesdedit

It was a cold night and Leon was just recently imprisoned on behalf of his mother's actions and running away from home. It was cold sitting all alone on the hard stone floor but what else did he have? It’s not like they even cared to give him a warm cozy bed anymore he was thought to be a freak after all. He even rarely got fed in there only 3 times a week almost every other day. But this time Leon was unbelievably hungry he has not been fed in 4 days this time… Leon just a tiny meager child barely even ten years old once from nobility was now starving. It was something he never felt before a pain in his stomach it was unbearable leaving him to curl up onto the ground in a fetal position. If only his mother had been a better person if only, he never ran away from home in the first place Leon would most certainly not be starving. But this night was different. This time Leon peered up to find another child looking at him threw the bars of his cell. She looked well fed even tho she was dressed in rags like he was which meant she was most likely a prisoner
“Who are you?” She’d ask him
Leon was shocked anyone would ever talk to him again so he desperately wanted to answer her but no words came out his throat was too dry for him to get a single word out.
“Not a talker?” She asked him again
He shook his head weakly
“Are you thirsty?” She asked
He nodded
“Drink up” the girl said sliding him a water pouch in between the bars
Leon then quickly grabbed the pouch, and started drinking instantly to realize him self of thirst
“Seems like you where thirsty huh?” The girl asked him
Leon would respond upon finishing his water “y-yes”
“Now can you tell me your name?” The girl asked giggling this time
“L-Leon... d- “the words struggled to come out for a moment “Leon Duesdedit…” he would finally reply
“Nice to meet you Leon, you can call me Astrid” the girl replied back
“Do you have a last name?” Leon asked
“Only a first name I’m afraid” the girl responded
Leon then still being held back by the pain of hunger scooted closer to her.
“You’re a prisoner as well right?” Leon asked her
“Not exactly” Astrid shook her head
“What do you mean by that?” Leon would say asking her another question
But then as soon as Astrid started opening her mouth to speak again, they could both hear footsteps coming are way and Astrid immediately took off running in the opposite direction. Leon then quickly got back in the fetal position, and hid the water pouch before the guard game by
“Here kid…” a guard spoke throwing a small bag into the cell refusing to make eye contact “that’s all you get for the week” the guard said now completely fixated on Leon this time
Leon didn’t hesitate to crawl over there as quickly as he possibly could to grab what the guard had given him. Was it food finally? Maybe more water? Leon then opened the bag to find only 2 rotten apples, a dead rat, and not even a half pounds worth of tree nuts.
“A-are you sure this is all…” Leon said disappointedly
The guard didn’t bother to respond he just walked away completely ignoring him. Not paying any attention anymore Leon was the least of his problems anyway. Leon then grabbed out the tree nuts he was given and ate only a few of them not knowing when his next meal would be served or what he would be served. It was always a surprise what Leon was getting last time he only got a small cup of soup, a single walnut, and a live frog that he had to kill himself if he wanted to have a full stomach that night. He didn’t even have fire, or any materials to prepare the frog correctly just his hands to crush the frog, peel off the skin, take out the organs, and eat it raw. It was one of the worst meals they’ve given him by far. After all he wasn’t respected like he use to be even after his father died the one who gave them the title of nobility in the first place died in a war his mother up kept their title the best she could. But they were losing money quickly and running out of options, so his mother turned to smuggling, stealing, and all sorts of crimes to keep them wealthy. It lasted only a year before she was caught and forced to confess to all of her crimes leading her to be sentenced to a public execution the next morning. And she freak out on the emperor knowing that Leon would be orphaned after her execution so she ran full speed up to the emperor and tackled him. She was killed immediately on the spot right in front of Leon. Blood poured out of his mothers neck and onto him, but that wasn’t even the worst part the worst part was Leon having to see his mothers lifeless eyes full of tears staring back at him.

Later that night Leon woke up to a light knocking on his cell window *tap* *tap* it got louder the more he decided to ignore it *tap* *tap* *tap* then finally Leon rolled over onto his side to face his window to see Astrid Hanging upside down on a tree branch outside.
“Why hello there!” She spoke in a cheerful whisper
Leon then quickly rose to his feet and ran to her “why did you leave me earlier?” He asked pulling himself up close to the windowsill
“I had no choice but to run” Astrid replied
“Why? Did you escape?” Leon asked once again
Astrid then let out a giggle “what do you think?”
“Well, you look better feed than me, so I can’t tell” Leon said
Astrid then went into a fit of laughter “your funny!”
“Huh? What do you mean did I say something wrong?” Leon said confused
Astrid would then pull herself over the tree branch and face me right side up trying to calm down
“No you said nothing wrong at all its just funny when people think that” Astrid replied
“So, what do you eat then exactly?” Leon asked
“I don’t need food at all!” Astrid said joyously
“IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?” Leon replied now griping onto the bars of the window
“SHUSH you're going to attract guards” Astrid whispered
“You can’t be human can you?” Leon mumbled nervously backing away
“Are you scared?” Astrid asked
Leon would nod as he backed into the front corner of his cell
“Oh! No need to be scared I’m sorry” Astrid said in a calming voice
“What do you want from me?” Leon asked in fear
 “I just think its unfair they have you locked up like this so I thought we could be friends” Astrid replied cheerfully
Leon then hit the wall and tried to make himself smaller by bringing his arms together close to his face.
“How do I know I can trust you?” Leon mumbled
“I can get you out of here if you’d like?” Astrid smiled
Leon then lowered his guard “wait really?”
“I promise!” Astrid said in return “but it can’t be tonight I will have to prepare something’s”
“How long will I have to wait?” Leon said coming out of the corner
“2 days!” Astrid responded holding 2 fingers threw the window
Leon then hesitated for a moment “I trust you” he mumbled out
“Perfect!” Astrid said playfully “see you in 2 days!”
Then Astrid let go of the tree and fell to the ground to wave goodbye before running off into the meadow that would lead her back down to the village.

The next day was the same as the last but now it was lonelier without Astrid this time. Nobody came to see, feed, or talk to Leon maybe Astrid was the only one who cared? Leon then proceeded to wait the 2 days and feed off his scraps while he waited for Astrids return. Waited… and waited… and waited… but Astrid never showed up not even on the 2nd day that she promised to be there. It might as well just have been another betrayal of trust for him after all who wanted to help a discarded noble. The answer is… nobody! It’s not like Leon had wealth and power anymore he would never be able to pay them back. Leon retreated to the corner of his cell for the night. But then he heard a faint crash of a glass pot in the distance. It most definitely couldn’t be Astrid, right? Did she keep her promise? Leon then quickly got back up and ran to the front of his cell to try and peek out. Then a scream went through the hall then the sounds of a bunch of guards running in the direction Leon was in. Then POOF Astrid came running down the hall as fast as she could towards Leon
“COME ON LET'S GET YOU OUT OF HERE” she shouted in a hurry
Astrid then quickly opened the door and grabbed Leon by his wrist and started running.
“TOLD YOU I’D KEEP MY PROMISE!” Astrid yelled cheerfully “you didn’t think I’d abandon you, do you?
Astrid then stopped and hid both of them behind a crate.
“Why’d we stop?” Leon asked
Astrid then put her finger over her lips “be quite there’s guards” she whispered
Astrid then slightly peeked her head over the crate to keep an eye on the guard on the other side
“Wait here” Astrid whispered
She then went and stood onto of the crate “COME AND GET ME YOU IDOIT!” She shouted getting the guards attention
The guard then without question charged at her with his sword but Astrid quickly dodged the attack and unarmed him, then took him out with his very own sword.
“COME ON!” She said signaling for Leon
They then both continued running passing multiple guards not even getting caught once! They finally made it to the outside both of them together they did it! Well… at least that’s what they thought. Because not even a minute had passed, and an arrow was shot into Leons back from behind… Leon instantly fell and of course Astrid was the one who caught him
“LEON!?” Astrid called out frantically
Astrid then laid Leon down and, onto her lap, “LEON PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME I FINALLY GOT YOU OUT!?” Astrid then started crying hysterically. “NO NO NO NO NO”
Leon was in too much shock to even realized what had happened to him all he knew was that a sharp pain was pricing him in his stomach.
“A-Astrid” He called out weakly “what happened…”
“No no no no your fine I promise!” Astrid said trying to place a smile on her face
“Your crying…” Leon mumbled
“No no I’m fine! Everything is fine! Your fine!” Astrid said threw her tears
“I can feel a sharp pain…” Leon mumbled again
Astrid then just stared crying rather than talking “I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry” she mumbled out loud
“Sorry for what? …” Leon asked in a faint voice
But Astrid didn’t answer she just kept crying, and apologizing. Leon then sat up to look at where the pain was to finally discover he’s been shoot.
“It’s about time for me to go anyway so please don’t cry…” Leon mumbled smiling “its ok…”
“NO, ITS NOT OK” Astrid snapped “YOU NOT DYING” Astrid cried
“Thanks for the bit of hope you gave me…” Leon said faintly “you can pull out the arrow…”
“SHUT UP IM NOT LETTING THAT HAPPEN” Astrid cried louder
“I’m sorry but it’s finally my time to go…” Leon said giving off a warm faint smile while a tear rolled down his cheek “no more suffering…”
Then a glow appeared out of the sky and came towards them
“My my!” An angelic voice said, “Astrid is this your new friend?” It asked
Astrid then slightly nodded
“Well, he’s about to die don’t you know?” It said still preserving a smile “do you want him to live?”
Astrid then nodded again in response
“Alright then” The angelic voice said kneeling down to see the now unconscious Leon
The angelic figure then placed its hand on Leons forehead, and a glow would radiate off of it.
“There he shall live!” The voice said joyously “but with a price of course” it added
“W-what price?” Astrid asked
“He can no longer be human” the voice answered before it disappeared back into the sky
Astrid then took out the arrow inside Leon’s stomach and to her surprise it immediately closed back up and healed interlay.
“Thank you, mother…” Astrid whispered with a smile…                                     

This story is based off of a character I made up who doesn’t get much attention. So even tho he’s just a fictional character I made up I thought it was only fair to give him his own story! But if you’re wondering where these characters are originally from? You will have to wait until I finish the novel. So see this as a sneak peak or an introduction for my upcoming book!