The Hunt | Teen Ink

The Hunt

By hoyt72 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri
hoyt72 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri

I sit in the auditorium with every girl older than 10 in the ring. We all wait to find out which girl is chosen. It isn't random, the hunters carefully select which girl they want to hunt. They happen every three months, 4 girls a year. We all know each other. We all watch one another be chosen. Either to win and work or to lose and never return. 

We all wait until Sir steps onto the stage, he begins with the reason for the ring. Glorifying human trafficking comes easily to him. I roll my eyes as he talks; it's always the same speech. He's doing this for our own good. He isn't a bad man; he only cares about the cash filling his pockets. 

Soon enough the hunters are escorted to the stage, grinning like cats. They are introduced as Kade, Taven, and Priel. I take a breath, preparing for one of us to be sacrificed to these men. The leader hands an envelope to Sir. He opens it slowly, adding to the anxiousness in the room. He looks to the audience and smiles, pulling out the paper.

“This month's choice is,” he pauses, “Lyanna!”

I’m escorted out of the auditorium and into a bedroom. 

I’m brought into the bathroom and undressed as a bath is started. I look around as I’m scrubbed down. The bathtub is bigger than my bed at home; the soap is worth more than all of my belongings combined. 

The next day I’m woken up at sunrise by the servants to be dressed and made up for the Hunt. It starts at nightfall and lasts until the next morning. After i’ve eaten, I’m taken to a part of the Ring I've never been before; the women call it the pit. It reminds me of a club, luxurious and dark. Winners of the hunt work here. Most wear showy outfits and serve drinks, but the more beautiful are the entertainment. I'm made to sit with the men who picked me, they joke about me but I don't listen. I'm busy watching the women, all young and beautiful. They smile when they're spoken to and do whatever's requested. They look like they enjoy it here, but in the dark, there is anxiety and distress hidden in the cracks. I see it with the breaks of their smiles and the shakiness of their hands as they carry trays of drinks. They're all terrified, either of messing up or of the men themselves. 

The morning quickly turns to evening and I am given my last meal until the hunt is over. It's nothing like the meals that I usually have, piled with foods I don't even know the name of. As soon as I’m finished I’m ushered off to my room and dressed. I wear a tight black outfit with boots and my hair is tied into a high ponytail. My makeup is done dark, and my lips are painted with red lipstick, all for the preferences of the Hunters. 

It’s sunset by the time I’m taken outside to my starting point. The arena is the shape of a circle, the ring. It's a mile wide and only forest with orange flags around the perimeter. The hunters and I are split up around the ring. I hear Sir over the speakers introducing the hunters and I block it out, not wanting to know how slim my chances are. I'm still standing there when the hunt starts until a guard steps up and shoves me past the markers. It has begun.

I run into the trees and immediately lose my way. I look up to the sky searching for the moon, for anything that could bring me comfort but it's overcast. I creep to the nearest tree and climb until I hear leaves crunching below and freeze. I look down and squint; it’s Taven. I think for a moment, I can hide or run. Panic pushes me to run but I miscalculate the jump and hit my head. The force shoots pain through my body as Taven slowly walks to me, confidence radiating off of him. 

I try to get up but he grabs me and holds me against his chest. Against my upper back, I feel the handle of a knife. Weapons aren't allowed in the ring, even for hunters. I don't think. I smash the back of my head into his nose and grab the blade. He fumbles as I stab the knife into his eye. I'm running before he hits the ground. 

The hours go by as I wander. At some point I start to hear arguing; two men. I quickly become alert and listen. 

“Why can't we just have a little fun with her?”

“We already agreed. We aren't using her for that,” he snaps.

I don't have long to think before they'll see me so I walk out and look at them. 

“Giving up already?” the shorter asks as he grabs my neck, “I thought you'd have more fight than that.” Kane. I look at him as Priel steps up behind me. 

“Not quite,” I say as I drive the hidden knife up into Priel's chest. He sputters and Kane loosens his grip. I use the moment to twist and shove the knife into Priel’s neck. His blood stains my face as he chokes. I turn and look to Kade, who stares at me wide-eyed, and grin. A look of fear shadows his face. His arms quickly reach out to grab me again but all he finds is the blade of  Taven’s knife, slicing his arm from wrist to elbow. He rips his arm back, cradling it. I take the time he's given me to run the blade into his stomach. He falls to the ground as I smile at him. I watch as the life drains from his body and take a deep breath. I look to the sky and see the moon shining down on me and smile. I win.

Flash fiction with under 1000 words for a Creative Writing Class