A life with monsters | Teen Ink

A life with monsters

By MikaGH GOLD, Bridgeport, West Virginia
MikaGH GOLD, Bridgeport, West Virginia

“Anyone can succeed if they have the skills to move forward”

Chapter 1

I remembered it all to well fire, smoke, monsters it seemed there was no trace of the human race anymore. I would like to say it was quick, and nobody suffered but that would be a foolish lie… it all started 8 years ago when the seal was broken monsters came into are world some looking for violence, others looking for peace. Nobody knew the seal was broken until the waged an attack on all the major cities the illusionists, and the shapeshifters where able to create destructions while the others seeped into the walls. They where determined to destroy any signs of life inside buildings crushed to the ground, vehicles forcefully crashed. You where considered lucky if you made it to the next day but I didn’t think so. Why you ask? Maybe because I was one of the “lucky” few welcome to my story.

It was a early Saturday morning the birds woke me up chirping outside my window I don’t even think I slept the night before. I then rolled over onto my side with my hands dangling off the bed wondering what today would hold? I then rolled out of bed exhausted to see what was being made for breakfast
“Good morning mom” i yawned sitting down at the table “what’s for breakfast?”
“Just my personal pancake recipe”
She then smiled and looked back at me “how many would you like?”
“Just one please” I said holding up my finger
“Well while I’m making your pancake can you wake up your brother for me?”
“Fine” I groaned “but he’s almost 20 he should learn to wake up on his own let alone move out or something”
My mother rolled her eyes as I sat up and walked to my brothers room
“Ricky” I said banging on his door “mom wants you up and out of bed”
And like always he didn’t answer
“RICKY”
I then opened the door and flashed on the lights “wake up you waste of space”
He then sat up his eyes barely opened “huh why are you waking me up?”
“Mom doesn’t want you sleeping in that’s that’s what” I then continued to flash the lights to annoy him
“STOP THAT” he yelled covering his eyes
“Then wake up and I won’t have to” I then stuck my tongue out and ran back to the kitchen
“Is he awake?” My mom asked
I then nodded my head as she set a plate of pancakes in front of me.
“How did your study’s go last night?” She asked me
“Unfortunately nothing new or interesting” I responded taking my first bite
“Maybe your not digging deep enough lil sis” Ricky said waltzing into the room
“Shut up Ricky”
“Be nice to your brother Katelynn” my lectured
“Yea be nice to your big brother” Ricky added ruffing up my hair
I then pushed him off “yea right”
Ricky then sat down across the table from me as mom served him a plate as well
“When are you planning to get a job?” I asked “you’re a littoral 20 year old man”
“People don’t need jobs this day in age” Ricky responded “all they need is a house and some scraps”
“Well how will you get a house without a job?” Mom asked “Ricky your sisters right”
“I told you I will get a job when I feel like it”
Me and mom then looked at each other then back at Ricky
“Well Ricky remember what I said if you don’t get a job soon?”
Ricky then shrugged his shoulders “beats me”
“Ricky I don’t want to have to throw you out” mom said worriedly
He then took a bite of his pancakes and got up “fine I will look for a job today”
“That’s all I ask” mom said
I then continued to eat my pancake while Ricky got ready for some job interviews.
“Do you really think he will get a job?” I asked
“No I don’t” mom responded
“Then why don’t you kick him out now?”
“Because he’s been a big help to me, and you after your fathers passing but you probably don’t remember”
“What did he even do besides become a low life who still lives with his mother I mean he’s a grown ass adult”
“Language” mom said
“ yea yea sorry but what did he even do?”
“First off he took care of you while I was a work”
“Is that it?”
“Pretty much but to me that was a big help”
My mom then started washing his plate while I continued eating
“Bye fam be prepared to see employed Ricky when I get back” he giggled walking out the door
Mom then sighed “sometimes I think he will never mature”
I then finished my pancake and laid the empty plate on the counter
“Well I better go back to my studies” I said walking back to my room
“Alright don’t spend to much time on it tho”
I then went in my room and closed the door immediately sitting down at my desk even tho the desk was completely trashed from last night. I then looked at the failed papers before I crumbled them up and threw them into the garbage can sliding back in my chair. Reach was hard especially on monsters there weren’t many books about them and the internet wasn’t available anymore anyone who wanted to do serous research hade to go outside the walls and study them out of sight but that was almost impossible for me to do I was to young to even have them consider me doing work on the outside you either hade to be a solider, or a reacher over the age of 30,  to leave legally but I was none of those. But I was always told story’s by my brother, and his friends who where old enough at the time to have witnessed the attack but unfortunately for me I was to young to remember any of it all I know is my father died defending us. But I didn’t hold any grudges agents the monsters I just thought they where different and misunderstood beyond what the humans could figure out. It felt like I was the only one in the city who felt that way everyone else carried anger, and urges to get revenge which is why most the men become soldiers knowing there survival was slim to none. Barely anyone knew what was left out there and if there was any forms of untouched human life left. The soldiers would come back everyday with a cart full of deceased commanders from there mission people would watch them from the streets as they came back heading towards the morgue mostly being worried parents hoping there darling sons came back safely let’s just say not everyone is lucky.

I then got up out of my chair to hear the daily body cart parading threw the streets followed by cries of mothers after squad leaders where ordered to brake the news to hopeful families. I then shut my righty blinds attempting to drown it out there was always job openings listed everyday and if they where short they took young boys at random. I just really hope Ricky wasn’t ever even considering ever applying for it, it was basically a death sentence no matter how strong you where as soon as you signed the contract making you an official solider you where practically already dead.
My mom then opened my door to check on me “are you alright dear?” She asked
“Yea I’m fine” I then quickly sat up in my chair
“I’m shocked your not outside watching the soldiers come back?”
“Well after 11 years it gets kinda boring to watch”
I then started clicking the pen on my desk
“Are you having worry’s?” She asked
“No Im not just can’t find anything good in my research”
“If you say so” she said “your brother should be back home soon tho”
She then left my room and left the door slightly cracked open. I then set the pen down and quickly shut the door I absolutely hated it when she did that she didn’t have to always check on me all the time. I then flopped onto my bed stareing at the ceiling waiting for the soldiers to pass the apartment complex for it to go quite again. It didn’t stop until a whole hour passed even for a company who has lots of dead comrades in a day they sure hade a lot of soldiers left over today. I got back up and sat up on my bed hoping Ricky didn’t apply for an open solider position soon it got dark and still no sign of Ricky he was gone all day even tho I parochially hated  him I was worried like where could he be. I didn’t want to automatically assume the worst. But then I also remember a time when he snuck outside the walls to do some drugs with his friends he was found being attacked and arrested mom spent almost half are savings getting him out he promised never to do it again but mom has a hard time believing him.
Then my mom knocked on the door “bedtime dear”
I then crawled under my covers and tried to fall asleep. Maybe nighttime would be the best time to try to sneak out and actually see the monsters in person but there was a possibility of death and getting caught and if I did get caught it would be a 5,000 dollar fine. I then went down into the covers waiting to here my brother to jingle the keys threw the door but he never did there was definitely something up. I then got out of bed and went outside the apartment complex. It was really dark that night I could barely see anything at all. I then walked around town trying to avoid the nightly guards potholing the streets that night. I don’t  think they could even see that well anyways  after the city lost electricity 2 years ago and it was really hard to find batteries.

I looked around for Ricky almost everywhere but there was no sign of him I mean how hard could it be it was a small city in the middle of adding expansions and he was a low life 20 year old child.
“Ricky” i whispered “where are you?”
Then all of a sudden there was an explosion and the alarms went off I immediately thought I did something wrong but no it wasn’t me it was something was far from human…

When I wrote the piece I took inspiration from the game The last of us, the anime The seraph of the end, the giver by Lois Lowry, and the tv show The walking dead. I’ve always been told I was good at writing even tho I have dyslexia I’ve been writing story’s ever sense 1st grade and I’ve always loved it! It all started when I would have to many ideas in my head so I would continue to write them down on paper then came the time when I was introduced to writing on an iPad in middle school 3 years ago. I’ve written at least 12 books sense but they where all failures and I wasn’t satisfied with them even tho they all had a similar story board. I honestly love writing about dystopias I’ve never written about anything else it just spoke out to me ever sense I was a little kid! 

The story is about a young girl 12-14 she lives inside walls hiding from predatory monsters with her mother and her older brother Ricky. But one day the walls fall and her brother Ricky pulls her outside the walls and leaves her in a near by river bed while he heads back to the city to retrieve their mother but Ricky never comes back and she gets captured by demons. Will she survive? Find out!