The Death of a Monarch | Teen Ink

The Death of a Monarch

July 30, 2022
By Anonymous

The wind whipped my long hair against my neck. It was cold. Too cold for a fire. But the soldiers had other plans for the village below. Embers flew in the air as the houses burned. The village never stood a chance nor did the one before that and before that. Slowly in the shadows lurked the remains of the people that lived in them slowly over time they accumulated but for every time a village was burned more people joined my cause. The cause of the reason. Because no one likes a die hard king. The country of Angethist had been a monarchy for millennia but never once did anyone ever rise above the king. The many cities of the country had been ruled by the King. King Reverence (ironic right). Now three towns had burned to the ground because they dared rise above. That king never would let this island country become a republic for that's what he stood against and the people stood for.

A tap on my shoulder interrupted my train of thought. I spun around hand clutching the dagger sheathed on my belt. But it was only Johnathan. He shot me a smirk before exclaming “Never will you beat that army.”

I growled at him, “Of course we will! We all know our way around these woods better than any soldier.”

He chuckled “No. You don't have any clue what you're up against. Have you forgotten the 5 days of Hell or the war of the great seven. Both times it was a city against monarchy and the king decided that all should be punished even if they didn’t support the up rise. He sized all of the crops, destroyed many houses and took control of the main ports. The famine that he caused lasted 4 long years. Hundreds died and all because of a spat over one piece of land. Or have you just shoved those down inside of you?”

 I shot him a dark look and continued to look over the city. It couldn't be saved neither could the last city it was obvious the soldiers meant business. Johnathan interrupted my thoughts again. “Ruby, do you really think you can win this war? There’s already a bounty of three-hundred pounds on your head.” He had a point there was barely any chance that I could win let alone concur a castle.

I kept my eyes steady on the castle in the distance “We attack at dawn.” I said continuing to watch the castle.

“Bu…” Jonathan started. I held up my hand.

“Don’t waste your breath, you have my word. Alert the troops.”

He scoffed, “Troops is a generous word to use for some peasants.” 

I had absolutely had it with him. I turned on my heel. A look of surprise crossed his face. “At least they gave their word.” I practically yelled. He shot me a look and then scampered off into the camp. Jonathan still assumed that the rules didn’t apply to him, everyone besides him had given their word that they would fight for a republic. That would come back to haunt me. I would soon learn. I glanced back. Looking at the castle one more time then turned and strode into the camp. Some looked up from where they were huddled around fire. Other voices came from the tents lining the area. I continued to walk to my tent. Inside I had the bare minimum that way if anything ever got destroyed it wouldn’t matter not that anything did anyway. I lay down on my cot and slowly the sounds of the forest lule me to sleep.

A bright beam of light falls across my face. I wake and get out of bed. The trumpet sounds and I rush outside. I race over to the armor tent and grab a bow and some arrows. I rush into the meadow and cliff point. There's nothing down where the village once stood unless you count some ashes and fire places.   

“Ahem.” I turn and like I suspect Johnathan’s standing there holding a sword “Your ‘army’ is waiting for you.” I roll my eyes and walk over to the clearing and jump up on my horse Lilly.

I face the soldiers. “Today. We march to the castle, hold your ground and remember if you can lure them into the woods they have no experience dealing with the forest. Let's get started!” A shout resonates.

The path is treacherous but it does lead to the castle. After marching for half of the day we arrive at the castle and slowly make our way into the woods. I turn to the troops. “Eat and recharge when you get my signal. Go. The signal is the red flag and three chirps.Remember as the Spartans say ‘Ελάτε σπίτι κουβαλώντας την ασπίδα σας ή κουβαλήστε την.’Come home carrying your shield or carried on it. There is nothing after this we don’t have enough resources to mount another attack so it's now or never. Look for the signal! Ζήτω η δημοκρατία Long live the republic!!” A cheer goes up as I ride back to the road. Even though only some can speak ancient Greek, the language of our ancestors, nevertheless everyone gets the general message. After this it is over we have either won or the whole idea was a lost cause. 

Slowly I make my way up to the drawbridge. I pull out the flag and chirp three times. Our signal. Nothing, no response. Suddenly the birds fly up from the forest then from the trees erupts the army. My army. Before the guards can close the bridge it's already swamped. The first two guards are child's play the way they are cut to the ground. “Take no prisoners” I yell over the sound of the footsteps on the wooden bridge. Soon the doors to the castle swing open the king's army has arrived.  The army looks intimidating with their silver armor gleaming in the setting sun. But we hold our ground and I ride through the rushing soldiers swinging my dagger at any patch of vulnerable skin I see. Our army is winning with the element of surprise and momentum on our side. The only problem is there is no end to the endless sea of helmets that pour fourth from the doors of the castle. As I move forward the last of the opposing army pushes out of the doors they start to close. I urged Lilly forward and we burst through the doors into pure darkness

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust to the lighting. There's silence. I can hear the muffled sounds of battle outside. The passageway has velvet carpets. I look down to bad for the carpet Lilly's hooves have made mud prints on the floor. I motion for her to move forward and grab a torch of the wall slowly as we make our way down the passage. I hear voices ahead and slowly make my way forward.  The passage opens up into a chamber. Lilly sniffs the air and shuffles around on the stone uncomfortably the voices stop. I look around and in the corner stands two maids. One faints (probably because Lilly was getting mud on the carpet)but the other one stares open mouthed at me. Her eyes grow big and she screams. Me and Lilly rush out of the chamber and into the other passageway I hear more screaming and footsteps running into the chamber. 

The passage ahead leads up stairs. Lilly takes them in stride and we end up in one of the spires in the castle corner. I hear footsteps coming up the stairs and I dismount Lilly. It's too dangerous to continue on with her. The frightened horse neighs and trots out one of the doors to the other side of the castle looking back at me. “Don’t worry.” I say “I’ll come back.” She turns and continues down the roof top path.  The footsteps continue to get louder. I race out the other door that leads to a path above the battle. Down below the sounds of swords clashing and shouts rise. “THERE.” A yell comes from behind me and three soldiers are racing towards me. I sprint down the path.

The soldiers continue to chase me down the path up ahead stairs leading above the main entrance and I race up them. As fast as I can I pull the bow from where it rests on my back and grab an arrow from my quiver spinning and drawing the bowstring back. A well aimed shoot lands between the chinks of one of the soldiers armor he grunts and stumbles. I grab another arrow and hit him this time in the eye hole of his helmet. He stops blood dripping from his face then tumbles over the edge of the railing into the battle raging below. The other two soldiers hold up their shields clearly smarter than the other one who now lays dead and in shambles in the middle of a bloody battle. There is no way I'm going to kill these two if I don't use trickery and a little wit. I look down the soldiers are still fighting and for a minute where winning, then the archers appear from posts along the walls above the courtyard. The archers are known throughout the land to be able to hit a bullseye from 300 yards away. They are dead on. Never letting their target stand a chance more or less let them know what hit them.

The soldiers continue to advance slowly with shields at the ready swords drawn. Slowly I creep backwards toward the end of the path. My hand on my dagger, eyes steady on my targets. The look in their eyes is full of worry and dread. Best that I make their death fast. I lunge into action. They raise their shields but it's too late for one of them at least vaulting over one my dagger plunges into his neck he crumples dead. I sheath my dagger and shoot an arrow into the other ones back before he can turn. The archers around the edges of the courtyard began to draw their bows. Frantically looking around I noticed the path stops but a few yards away there is a separate path. Leading to the archers. I back up then begin running towards the edge then I jump.

I’m falling then my feet hit solid ground I stumble then continue running. I whip out my dagger it glows in the last rays of sun. The moon creeps out slowly watching the spectacle below. It isn't the prettiest sight in the world. But I have a job to do. The first archer points his arrow menacingly at its target, Lester a farmer that leads a poor and humble life. Then the next one and the one after that. It's too late. Only a matter of time. Frantically I look around. There's nothing that would help besides a torch. That's all that I need, grabbing the torch. I pull an arrow and set it aflame. Then I fire (both literally and figuratively). It lands in front of an unsuspecting archer who screams and jumps back from the fire like a cat from water. The other archers' concentration breaks and a few of them glance over. 

I continue firing more and more. The archers scatter running here and there trying to get away from the flames that over take the walls. Now it's dark and that's all that illuminates the courtyard. I look down and fighting has slowed with the adrenaline wearing off and fatigue setting in. The opposing army looks just as tired a plus but we also have to fight with the same circumstances as them no one has it easy. I have to help. There is no one commanding I should never have left Johnathan in charge. At any sign of danger he would retreat like a dog with its tail between its legs. To think I was betrothed to him was beyond imaginable. 

There was an old rope attached to the wall. It wouldn't be safe but it would work in a pinch. The rope was fraying at the edges but other than that it looked fine. I attached it to a post firmly then began to climb down. The rope strains under the weight but holds strong. The battle begins to deplete but it's not clear who's winning. The only thing clear is destruction. The Courtyard is a mess with blood and fire. It's obvious we don’t have enough to take care of ourselves and not even to mention the cost of another onslaught. The remaining soldiers are deeply set on staying alive. The others lay injured or worse. But if we stop now we will never achieve victory. The whole idea will be nipped in the bud. The King will make sure of that. 

Now I turn to the task at hand taking care of the last soldiers of the opposing army remaining in the courtyard. They like the ones before them, are hard at work parrying and blocking strikes but they are the ones wearing heavy metal armor.  I jump into battle helping to obliterate the last of them. Now with another adrenaline rush coming on. We storm the castle. 

Through the doors that now lay unguarded and vulnerable to any attack. Through the other side of them into the hall our numbers are small, only twenty or thirty but we have grit and determination that's why we're alive. The hall is empty. “Where are you?” I scream. Nothing. I rush out through an arch into the courtyard in the middle of the castle. The others follow tense with rage. I spotted Lilly in a corner eating the King's prized Flowers. Smart horse. Oblivious to how she got down here I mount her and move through the courtyard like a fox. On the other side another arch draws us closer. Light illuminates the path. I lead the group through it. 

On the other side there's a pile of suitcases. Uh oh. That can only mean one thing. He's close. I lead Lilly past the pile and on the other side King Reverence. He has two dozen guards next to him. His eyes flare with rage. “So.” He rasps “You thought you were so mighty. Defeating the king's royal army.” Too enraged to speak. A look on my face shows how much I hate him. I dismount Lilly slowly and she trots off. Probably to finish off the king's chrysanthemums. Smart horse. “Charge.” I say smoothly. I race at the king. Suddenly something lands in the middle of my back. 

I stumble then fall to my knees. I touch my shoulder. My hand comes away with blood on it. “No.” I cough. “You never were a hero and you never will be.” A familiar voice sounds. I look up. It’s Johnathan. “You thought you would win. No. You will die.” In one last attempt I plunge my dagger into the king's chest and he cries out in pain. The world begins to spin as the sound of screams fade. Then, everything goes black.

Someones shaking me. I wake. “Come on.” A smooth voice says. I blink and sit up. I’m my tent. “It’s time for battle.” 


The author's comments:

My English teacher had us write short stories and this was mine.