No Way Home | Teen Ink

No Way Home

January 20, 2022
By Sierra2700 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Sierra2700 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was lost. I had no idea where to go. I see my feet dragging in the aged dirt road that seemed to go on and on. I slow down, and I see the road fork into two different paths. I don't remember this. I never saw this when I was running away. Now I’m trying to go back, and the world says no. 

Which path to choose?

I have no idea.

I trust my gut, and I choose to go right, but I stop, the feeling hitting me that I’m wrong yet again. I go left, and that feeling arises again. I stop, feeling helpless, and lost beyond what I imagined.

I turn back, and face the fork in the road that separates me from my home. I stare blankly into the warm morning sunrise, that starts to show the cold dew on the grass, and awakens the birds. The sky turns orange and blue, fading into different colors, almost as if it seems happy to say good morning to the world. The sun seems to have a new start every day.

I feel I don’t have that same luxury anymore. I collapse, losing my motivation to keep going.

My eyes shut close, and I feel the warmth of the sun envelope me as I drift away.


My eyes open, against what they really want to do. I’m in my blankets, in my room, sleeping on my bed.

My room.

I’m home? 

My dog comes prancing into my room, and jumps on my bed. I feel a surge of happiness and relief, and he wags his tail to welcome the morning to me.

I smell the delicious scent of eggs and bacon, rich and sweet at the same time, and I feel my stomach rumble in an aching hunger that envelops me.

I throw my blankets off, and I sprint into the kitchen to see my parents, my sister, my brother, my family.

There’s nobody. There’s no eggs, or bacon, or sister or brother or parents. No dog.

I’m alone.

My eyes open and I jolt awake, and I stare blankly at the fork in the dirt road ahead of me. I have no way to find the family that I love. I have no way home.


The author's comments:

This was a continuation of a story I started a while ago and I added some new stuff to it to give it some meaning.