The Animal Bandit | Teen Ink

The Animal Bandit

By isabluebird BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
isabluebird BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

"Yee Yee"

"So," I said, "We really gonna do this Whoo? You sure no one's here tonight and we won't get caught?" Whoo responded,"Andy, quit bugging me cause I said this before and I won't say it again...yes no one else is here tonight besides us and we won't get caught." I began to walk with Whoo flying by his side and we reach the gate of the Franklin Park Zoo. Whoo flies over, grabs the key, and throws it at me. It kinda spooked me out though. "Whoo, I'm kinda nervous and my ma's been asking where I been. You sure this is the only way we can get the animal?" I said. "If you don't stop your worrying, I'll do it myself and keep all the money. For now, just do what I say." answered Whoo. I open the gate and we both walk around the zoo, looking for the perfect circus animal. We walked past all the animals pens, looking in then leaving, hopeless. I walked around the right side of the zoo while Whoo flew around the left, but that's when I finally saw the one. A giraffe. "Whoo," I yelled, "I found the one! I found the perfect animal for us!" Whoo comes flying by, saying,"Shhh! Oh my goodness, keep your voice down." He can really annoy me sometimes, but I just whispered back, “I found it, I found a giraffe! Perfect animal for the circus. Plus, it seems old enough to live without its mama, so we good.” I didn’t think he would agree, granted he’s a smart bird but still, when I heard him say  “Yeah sure,” I was surprised. “Yes!” I whispered to myself. “C’mon Andy, let’s find a cart and get outta here before the Boys come.” said Whoo. “Jeez, I really don’t wanna go back to jail, cause this time I’d stay in for longer,” I answered, looking at the ground. Whoo just stayed quiet, but then told me he wouldn’t let that happen. I felt a bit better, so I went looking for the cart when I saw a weird looking shadow. It kinda looked like a dog, which was weird cause who said that we were the only ones awake at this time. Then a funny lookin’ cat popped out, yelling at me, saying “Who are you and what are you doing here?” I freaked out and ran straight to Whoo, dragging the cart behind me. I looked back and saw the that the thing was gone. I kept running til I reached the gate of the giraffe pen when I see it talking to Whoo. I hear them arguing, so I just watch. “Look Tattle, I’m not doing nothing but showing the new zookeeper around,” said Whoo. Tattle replied, “Yeah? Well, why don’t you just wait til morning time? Makes more sense, plus the zoo is closed right now. This is really suspicious Whoo, and I don’t wanna get you in trouble.” Whoo was thinking but answered back, “Go back to sleep, why don't you? I’m doing nothing wrong, you hear? Go back to your pen and leave us alone. Plus, I’ve heard it’s better to teach zookeepers their new job after hours!” I stood there, watching, and waited until they were finished bickering. “Okay, whatever Whoo, I’ll let you off this time, but if I see trouble, I’m calling the police,” yelled Tattle as he ran away. “Whoo, we gotta hurry. C’mon now, let’s get the giraffe in the cart and run outta here. I have my circus truck parked right next to the exit,” I say. Whoo responds, “Yeah we gotta rush or else Tattle will figure out what we’re doing and we’ll stay in jail for a week...or more. Now, let’s not think about that and just put him in the cart. Here, I’ll help.” As we were picking up the animal, it began to open its eyes. Once it saw me, it’s eyes were wide open and he was screaming. “AHHH,” said the giraffe, “WHO ARE YOU!” Whoo answered, “Don’t worry Longneck, it’s just the new zoo keeper, he’s helping me..uhh...take you to get your...eyes checked out. He noticed that they seemed very red, and you could possible have pink eye! If animals could have that…” I looked at Longneck and talked to him, trying to calm him down, but nothing was working. I began to panic, not knowing what to do. Then I see Whoo fly away and I began to worry even more. Luckily, he came back with some type of pill in his mouth. “Here,” said Whoo, “Andy here recommended you take this pill to help your eye, if that makes any sense.” Whoo gave the pill to Longneck, who surprisingly ate it. Longneck was now asleep, which made our mission a whole lot easier. We put Longneck in the cart, and made a run for it. As Whoo and I were dashing towards the entrance of the zoo, when we see Tattle standing in the way. “I thought you said that you were just ‘showing him around.’” said Tattle. “I was, and now I’m showing him how to...RUN!” yelled Whoo. “No! You won’t get away! I swear!” said Tattle. “Whoo and I ran straight towards the truck like there was no tomorrow, and we actually escaped! We made the money and gave the circus we were working for Longneck, which he actually liked it there. So it was a win-win for all three of us. But I will always remember the words of Tattle, ‘I’ll find you one day and I’ll put you in jail myself!’ Funny, cause he never caught me! Right Whoo?” I said. “Right!”

This originally was a play, but I changed it into an easy-to-read short story!