Open House | Teen Ink

Open House

By okhaleyy BRONZE, Seagoville, Texas
okhaleyy BRONZE, Seagoville, Texas

It was a hot and humid day, almost 90 degrees, and we were stuck inside. I was accompanied by my best friend as we tried to find something to do on this extreme weather day. It was only April, which explains why none of the local snow cone or ice cream shops were open yet. We were stuck inside with nothing to do but play Sims, which got tiring after you have already made your friends and built multiple houses. I groaned in agony, as I was so desperate to stay busy, we figured the best way to find something to do, was to get out and actually look. We climbed in my very old car, and turned the air conditioning on the highest setting and settled into the seats.

We started to take turns and winds, while looking out for anything that seemed interesting. After about fifteen minutes of driving around and being desperate to find anything to do, we come across a opulent house, it was the biggest and most extravagant one I have seen around this area. I felt out of place as I pulled in my 1998 volkswagen into the driveway, I ignored the feeling and continued to get out and walk up to the house, looking at the big sign in the front yard that read “open house here!”.

As we entered the open house, the realtor introduced herself and began the tour by leading us straight to the master bedroom. We were greeted with a numinous painting directly across the room. Silk pillows covered the velvet blanket, which was placed on top of a california king bed. The walls were roughly textured, topped with a popcorn ceiling. As we walked around, we felt the divine carpet underneath our feet. We took one more look around and cherished the last look of the beautiful bedroom, then continued to the next stop on our tour.

We walked through the threshold into the living room. Within a second, my eyes shot to the ceiling fan. On its highest speed possible, the squeaking was so prominent it felt like is was about to fall out the ceiling. The TV was playing static, waiting to be turned to a real channel. The room had an atmosphere of hysteria, as I could imagine, one day, living here.

We stumbled into the kitchen next, the faucet slowly dripping as it had been left on for who knows how long. The window above the farmhouse sink was slightly open, pushing a gush of cool air which then blew my hair back. The white marble countertops squeaky clean, with a candle flame lit up in the corner, emitting smells of vanilla and lavender. This room was so elegant and classy, I felt that if I were to buy this house, or any house on the block, or nearby for that matter, I would reach zenith.

We reached the end of the open house tour, as we had signed up for the free tour, which was only twenty minutes long. We slumped our way out to the car, and sat back in front of the blasting cold air. I returned to my small and cheap apartment and planned my future, of how I could one day live in that house, or one very similar.

My story was written over the course of multiple days, and is about two friends doing something they did not plan to do. It is titled “Open House” , but has a lot of details within it. The reason for this writing was to express different senses through explanation, without directly saying what sense someone may be using. This writing was inspired by the feeling some may have when they have all day to do something,but just can not find the right thing to do. I want to thank whoever reads this for taking time out of your day to read and appreciate my work.

Haley Hanks was a senior in high school, attending the School of Health Professions at Townview Magnet Center, and planning to attend the University of Texas at Arlington once she graduated. She had just turned eighteen when her work was submitted. She passed almost all her classes with A’s, with the exception of a couple. She did not have many hobbies, as her time was always consumed with work and school. Haley worked at least twenty five hours a week, and she was still able to handle school and personal life. Haley was dedicated and always finished what she started.