The adventure | Teen Ink

The adventure

By ldecamp05 BRONZE, Pleasant Hill, Iowa
ldecamp05 BRONZE, Pleasant Hill, Iowa

Don't let your fears be bigger than your dreams

“Amelia, Amelia wake uppppp!” Billy yelled waking up Amelia

“What do you want It’s too early,” Said Amelia groaning

“Get dressed we’re going on an adventure,” explained Billy.

“I am not going anywhere with you, you’ll get us lost,” claimed Amelia.

“No, I won’t trust me. Now let’s go.” Billy said laughing.

That’s when Amelia made a mistake and she would never forget it.

Billy was a very absurd and delightful potbelly piglet. He also wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Amelia was a rambunctious 10-year-old girl who loved her family and her pig. She looked like her dad. She had bright green guys, hair the color of an almond, and was her smile could light up a whole room. Amelia has a special ring that allows her to talk to animals and nobody knows about it and NOBODY ever will. They love exploring and finding new places but one of their biggest fears is getting lost. Something that motivates them to keep going on adventures even though they are scared to get lost is they want to new places to tell their friends about. They live in the village in Enlancia and Amelia’s mother didn’t mind her going out as long as she stayed close so they should be able to go. They like exploring outside of the village because it is very small and not much to do.

“Mom can billy and I go out today?” Amelia asked

“Ummm….. sure as long as you stay close,” her mother replied.

“Mom that’s not fair why does Amelia get to go out and not me?” Amelia’s sister whined

“Because Amelia is older than you and I trust her to do the right thing if something bad happens. Not that anything will because Amelia knows not to go too far,” her mother said.

Amelia’s mother was a single mom with 3 kids. She was a beautiful young lady. She had eyes as blue as crystals and her hair was the color of honey. They all moved to Enlancia’s village after their father passed away. She worked in the town bakery and it was about as big as an R.V. and was always overcrowded. She made the best bread and everybody loved it. She worked very hard for her money and there was never a moment where she wasn’t doing something. Even though she was always working she never showed that she was weak and always made time for her kids.

“Ok, goodbye mom I love you!” said Amelia as she ran out the door with Billy.

“Before you come home could you grab some bread while you're out?” her mother asked.

“Yes, mom I will,” Amelia said and then she closed the door behind her.

“I’m so excited to go on our adventure, aren’t you Amelia?” asked Billy walking down the street.

“Yes, but what are we doing?” claimed Amelia.

“Well first I thought we would go to the pond and do rock skipping, then we could

go apple picking in the forest, next we could have a picnic in the woods at our special spot, last we could stop at the bakery and get bread then go home!” Billy listed.

“Wow, you have the whole day planned out and it sounds excellent,” said Amelia fired.

Amelia and Billy started their day at the village pond and it was beautiful. The pond was the loveliest blue, with greenery all around it, and rocks were ideal for skipping. It was also wonderful weather outside, not too hot and not too cold. There was a slight breeze and the least bit of clouds in the sky. It was perfect.

Wow isn’t this lovely?” asked Amelia gasping.

“It sure is, that is why I picked it I knew that you’d love it!” Billy said smiling.

They started to skip rocks and they were having so much fun that an hour later realized they needed to go to the next thing on their list.

“Oh I lost track of the time it’s time to go apple picking in the forest!” said Billy

“Oh ok sounds fun!” said Amelia excited.

They started walking towards Enlancias forest to pick apples when on their way when they heard something in the distance.

“Hello, is anybody there?”, asked Amelia worried.

No response.

“Hmm… must be nothing let’s go”, said Billy

As they walked towards the noise it happened again and this time out jumped a bear.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!”, yelled Billy and Amelia.

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean to frighten you guys, I’m a friendly bear,” the bead

said.

“Then what are you doing jumping out like that?” asked Amelia.

“I was just looking for a friend. You see I am so lonesome out here in the forest,”

said the bear saddened.

“Oh I’m sorry, would you like to join us on our adventure and go pick apples with us?” asked Amelia sweetly.

“Oh, what a generous offer I would love too!” said the bear happily.

So Amelia, Billy the pig, and the bear went on their way to the apple trees.

“And we’re here”, claimed Amelia.

“Wow, this is so pretty!” said the bear. “I am so excited to pick apples with you guys!”

“I know me too. We should get started picking apples so we have enough time to get to the picnic,” said Billy.

As they were picking apples they heard a soft crying in one of the trees. They went over to it and saw it was a squirrel.

“Hello, squirrel what are you crying about?” asked the bear.

“IIIIII- III- I’m crying because I am all alone and have no friends,” said the squirrel whimpering. “My roommate moved out after he got married and he did all the cooking and I have no one to talk to anymore.”

“Oh, you poor thing would you like to join us in picking apples?” asked Billy. “You don’t look like the animal who wants to be alone right now.”

“Oh my thank you for the offer. Yes, that would make me feel much better,” said the squirrel.

They went on picking apples until they filled their baskets. The apples were bright red and were very round. They were perfect for picking. After about an hour Billy asked,

“Are you guys done picking apples and ready to go to the picnic?”

“Yes, I’m starving!” yelled the bear.

“Do you remember how to get there Billy?”,asked Amelia.

“Yes, of course, I do!” replied Billy.

They then went on their way. As they were walking towards the picnic they were walking farther and farther into the forest and it was starting to get chilly and gloomy.

“Billy I think you took a wrong turn. This doesn’t look like the right way,” said Amelia scared.

The trees were turning a darker shade and the leaves are falling off of them.

“Don’t doubt me!” Billy snapped back.

“OK, whatever you say, Billy,” said Amelia. Even though she knew that they were lost, but she decided to follow Billy a little while longer until she brought up that they were lost.

They continued to walk further and further into the forest and it was getting darker and darker. It looked as if the sun was going down and the night was rising even though it was the middle of the day.

“Billy I know you don’t want to admit it but we’re lost,” said Amelia.

“I agree,” said the other animals nodding.

“No, we’re not we just have to go this way. Or was it straight, or that way?” said Billy confused.

“Billy! We’re lost,” yelled Amelia. “And I’m scared this is one of my biggest fears!”

“Ok fine we’re lost. I’m so-”, said Billy as he was interrupted.

“Rrrrooaaarrrrrr!”

“What was that!?” they all screamed.

Just then out jumped a ferocious ogre. He was green with a crooked mouth and he smelled awful.

“Ahhhhhhh,” they all yelled.

“Who are you?!” said Billy slowly walking back.

“I am the ogre who lives in this here forest and you are passing through my territory,” said the ogre walking towards them.

“Oh well, we didn’t know that so we’ll just be on our way,” said Amelia.

Then all the animals started running away from the ogre. After running for a while they ran so far they eventually ran out of the forest and ended up by the kingdoms castle.

“I think we lost him,” said the bear breathing heavily trying to catch his breath.

“But where are we?” asked the squirrel.

“We’re by the kingdoms castle,” said Amelia. “My friend lives here, let’s go see if she can help and maybe get some water.”

“No, we can find our way home ourselves,” said Billy angrily.

“Why can’t we ask for help?” asked the squirrel. “You’ve been saying this all day.”

“It’s nothing,” said Billy then he ran off.

“Billy wait!” yelled Amelia then she ran after him.

After finally catching up to him Amelia asked concerned, “Billy what’s going on?” “Ok, fine. When I was little I was the runt in the family and needed help a lot. My brothers and sisters made fun of me and told me that I was a loser,” explained Billy. “Just you wanting to ask for help reminds me of what my childhood was like.”

“Oh, I had no idea,” said Amelia. “Billy you’re not a loser. but everybody does need help sometimes and It’s ok to ask for it.”

“I know”, said Billy. “Ok let’s go ask for help.”

That is exactly what they did. They got directions back to the village and some water, and when they got back they then stopped at Amelia's mother's bakery and got her the bread, last they headed back to Amelia’s house and boy they had to face telling her mom what happened.

Oh no, I hope she's not mad. She’ll never let me go out again. You know what I don’t care if I get in trouble I had an amazing day and nothing can ruin that for me, Amelia thought to herself

“Amelia where have you been?!” her mother yelled worriedly.

“You better sit down mom,” Amelia said laughing. “This is gonna be a long story.”

She told her mother what had happened and her mother wasn’t happy, but Amelia didn’t care. She would look back on this day and be reminded of how she survived being lost. Even though she was grounded from going outside for 3 days she still was happy that she had the best day ever.

1 week later…..

“AMEEELLLLIAAAA!” Billy yelled at Amelia to wake her.

“What?!” Amelia said startled jumping out of her bed.

“We’re going on an adventure”, Billy said with a grin on his face.

“Oh no here we go again……” Amelia said laughing.

This is a grat story if you like adventure