To repay my debt | Teen Ink

To repay my debt

By RitaPierce BRONZE, Doylstown, Ohio
RitaPierce BRONZE, Doylstown, Ohio

One cannot be brave who has no fear

It's been another hard day at training, training to be an assassin. I've never wanted to kill people, but it's not like I have a choice. I'm part of the Stone Arch mafia, one of the most deadly in the city. When I was only a few months old my parents abandoned me on the steps of the biggest mafia in the city Stonearch likely thinking I would die. I was found by one of the mafia lord's Simon Grimwood, but I only know him as Pops. He decided that instead of killing me, he would train me to be an assassin. So the other mafia lords agreed that he could keep me, but on one condition, I had to be the best assassin in the entire city. I've been training since I learned to walk. 5 hours a day and 30 extra minutes for every mistake I make. The longest practice I've ever had was 10 hours. I head back to my room lock the door (you can never be to careful) and collapse on my uncomfortable bed, falling into a dreamless sleep. The next morning I wake up at 4 AM sharp. I go for a 2 mile run and arrive at breakfast after showering at 4:45. I eat and brush my teeth, getting to the training room at 5:16. I'm late that's another 30 minutes of core workout for me I think as Pops comes in clipboard in hand. We start with arms, doing push ups, pull ups, and punching bags for 1 hour. Then we do legs, that means lunges, front kicks, and roundhouses for another hour. I don't use enough power for one of the front kicks so we do another 30 minutes. After we finish arms and legs we do hand to hand combat. Pops will start by attacking me first, he usually leads with his right arm so I take full advantage, blocking with enough force to easily break his arm. Luckly for him he bent his elbow in time and I only end up badly bruising the muscle. I start this time and Pops goes for my left leg, I'm favoring it because he nearly snapped my left hamstring last match. I dodge him but he anticipated that and was faking, he quickly changes tactics sweeping my right leg instead of my left out from under me. Pain shoots through my body as all of my weight is thrust onto my left leg, I crumple to the floor as Pops chuckles "Still not fast enough to beat your old man huh?" I glare at him as he continues "good job Eve, but now it's time for your real challenge" "But Pops we've only had 3 hours of training." I say " Nevermind that Eve, if you pass this test you'll never have to train again." Just as he finishes speaking the lights flicker, the doors slam closed, and a rough voice comes over the loudspeaker "Evilyn Grimwood it's time for your test, you must kill Simon Grimwood to become a assassin and join the mafia." I hear footsteps coming towards me and something drops in front of me. The lights turn back on and before me I see a gun, it has a shining black hilt and is well cared for, there isn't a scratch on it. When I look up I see Pops strapped to a chair looking so different from the strong man I know, he looked scared and vulnerable. I pick up the gun and hold it for what seems like hours, until I hear a voice inside my head saying "Do it, kill him, repay your debt, be free." I make up my mind. I lift the gun to my head and scream "I love you Dad!" then I pull the trigger. There is no pain, no gunshot then I lower the gun and see that there are no bullets. The voice on the loud speaker says "Evilyn Grimwood you have proved your loyalty to the mafia, and passed your test."

I would love any criticism I can get on this piece, and I know my spelling is horrible please try to read through it.