The Luxurious Trip | Teen Ink

The Luxurious Trip

By nicolecarannante BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey
nicolecarannante BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey

How does everyone go to all the luxurious places? How can they afford the massive amounts of money they cost? Will I ever be able to experience it? Nicole thought of all of this as she got ready for the last day of school, the day of her graduation. She knew she worked a lot and saved most of what she made, but for some reason when it came to planning a vacation, there wasn’t much money there. “You’ll get there one day Peanut,” her mom said as she heard Nicole slamming her pan in the sink from her eggs, that was followed by a huff and a puff.

Nicole ran out the door yelling back to her brother to lock it on his way out. They drove off to school as they did for the past 179 school days. 3:00pm rolled around quick on that day and Nicole received her diploma, that she’s been so impatient about since school started … on the first day of kindergarten back in 2006. Once dinner was eaten and the celebrations were soon dying down, Nicole sat with her mom to discuss of her eagerness to travel. “Mom, there’s no way I can afford $1,069.02 just for the flight to Hawaii.” Her mom had no serious solution, considering she was struggling for bills herself.

As Nicole scurried off to bed, she slept on what she thought of. She woke up knowing she had to do something; she had to go away, as it was a must for her. She figured if she took a train, across the country, and then hopped on a boat to Hawaii, it’d definitely cost her cheaper since the train was only $382. She decided to leave on July 7th and return on the 13th. When the days came to be and she had all of her stuff packed, she hopped on her train and went about for the 14.5 hour ride that awaited her. Then came time for the ship to Hawaii, where she would celebrate her graduation on her own and live care free for a week.

With the ship trip, which she thought would be a smooth ride, turned into anything but a smooth ride. All Nicole can vividly remember is the sky getting dark and the ship starting to rumble. She had no control over her body and felt as if the world has completely tossed her off of surface. The ship was splitting into pieces, right down the middle, and water was flowing in; she became part of the ocean. Tears ran down her face as she cried for her family. “Mom! Dad! Biagio! Someone! One of you have to hear me,” she got more and more angry with each yell, as if they were intentionally ignoring her.

While Nicole yelled and wheeped for help, with thinking her family was ignoring her, she was suddenly being shook by her mom; she woke up. Her dream of going on a vacation, of one she can’t afford, was just that … a dream. Nicole’s mom woke her up as soon as she heard crying out, and when she woke up, the tears from her dream were her tears in real life. “What’s wrong Nicole?” her mom asked in absolute concern. “Is everything ok? Are you feeling ok?”

“Yes mom,” Nicole replied. “I’m ok. I’ve realized I no longer want to go on my vacation. I’m perfectly content staying home.”

“Well good, I’m glad. You’ll be much safer here.”

For my creative writing class, I had to write of a vacation someone went on with a boat or plane and explain what occured on the boat- good or bad