Collette's Journey | Teen Ink

Collette's Journey

Part 1: Waking Up --

“Rise and shine, little princess…” a voice coos and Collette jerks awake.

Collette immediately started analyzing her surroundings. She was lying on a bed in a small room that was mostly plain. The only furniture was a small brown table in the center of the room and some chairs. There was a brown wooden floor and brown wood walls and even a brown wood ceiling! It wasn’t very ornate and she couldn’t seem to remember where she was. She felt confined in the small space. Then, Collette noticed there was a man standing in front of her bed. He was rather skinny and pale. He seemed very fidgety and had a nervousness about him. A sly grin was on his face. Collette was startled and immediately pressed herself against the wall to get away from the man.

WHAT THE? WHO IS THIS PERSON AND WHY AM I HERE? WHAT’S HERE TO BEGIN WITH? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!  Collette thought. Startled and upset by all this unsurety, she stammered, “Who are you? Where am I? WHO am I?” She could remember only her name -- Collette Cece -- and her age --- 13--- but had not the slightest idea about her life story.  

“My little girl, surely you must remember me--- your father!” the man in front of her says, looking quite shocked.

“No, I don’t!” Collette cried. This whole thing was weirding her out. She didn’t understand what was happening and she really didn’t like not understanding things. She tried to run out of the room and past the man, but he grabbed her arm, “Let go of me! I don’t know who you are or what you want but I don’t care! Let me go!”

“My, my! This is worse than I thought!” the man sobs, “you see, you fell off the roof a week ago and went into a coma. I was so worried about you! The doctors predicted severe memory loss, but I never thought it would be this bad for you to have forgotten me! I thought you would never wake up! OH, THANK APOLLO YOU DID!”

“So, you are my father…” Collette started slowly. Somehow, she couldn’t bring herself to believe that the man in front of her could be someone close to her, it just didn’t feel right. But, if what he said was true then she guessed that she should just go with it. Why would this man lie to her anyway?

“Verily, IT IS ME… YOUR FATHER, Jilaiya!” the man announced.

“Ok…” Collette trailed off. This seemed wrong, but the man seemed innocent enough, “You ARE my father!”

“Yes, yes! Now, then,” Jilaiya said hurriedly, “ I am sure you have not forgotten the most important part of your life -- YOUR MISSION!!!!!”

“My what?” Collette asked. She made a face. This man was talking nonsense.

“ZOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have forgotten your mission!!” Jilaiya exclaimed. He started pacing around the room looking rather concerned.

“Yea…” Collette started, hating the fact that she didn’t know what her supposed father was saying and even more that he wouldn’t tell her what this mission was. Personally, she wasn’t really liking this father of hers. He spoke weird, acted weird, dramaticized everything, and didn’t even really seem like he could be anybody’s father. Plus, he had a very nervous vibe which she didn’t like and made her distrust him even more. But, she guessed she should just trust him for now, “so what is this mission of mine?”

“Yes, yes. Your mission is to destroy the king and regain your position as the noble ruler!”

“Wait, WHAT?” Collette gasped and jumped out of her bed, “destroy the king… regain position… noble ruler?” WHAT WAS this? I am just a normal 13-year-old girl… I can’t do any of that, and why should I? What is this all about? Collette thought, very confused.

“YES! 10 years ago, the evil King Chester took over the throne. He does not, however, rule well and treats the people of our kingdom very cruelly. He does not do anything for his people. It was your destiny to defeat the evil king and become the ruler. You have spent all 13 years of your life preparing for this! Now, right before you fell off the roof and slipped into the coma, you were supposed to set out on your quest… but I guess you cannot fulfill your mission as you remember nothing of your quest and the rigorous training you went through!” Jilaiya sobbed and sank to the floor, “the kingdom is DOOMED!!”

“No, no, it’s not!” Collette suddenly stopped herself. She didn’t know why all of a sudden she wanted to go on this mission, but she did! She wanted to trust the man. She couldn’t resist an opportunity like this, to gain so much fame, so much power, and to help so many people. She could make her father proud, no matter how weird he was. She could even fulfill her destiny! She couldn’t give this up - she just couldn’t! So she continued, kneeling down next to her father and putting her hand on his shoulder to comfort him, “I can still complete my mission! I can still save the kingdom from the evil king! I KNOW I CAN! Maybe my memory is a little shaky, but I’m sure that 13 years of training could not have just disappeared. I’m sure that my memory will come back with just some review! Please try to reteach me! I can do it! And, if I show no promise within a week, you have the right to forbid me from this quest. But give me a chance!”

Her father smiled, “there’s my girl! I will try my best to refresh your memory and help you complete your quest! Let’s get started!”

Part 2: The Mission --

After a whole week of going through her training of learning the kingdom’s history, the king’s history, and how to navigate around the kingdom as well as learning the specifics of what the mission was and how to complete it (kill king Chester by sneaking into the kingdom, going to court, and stabbing Chester. Then, regain her father’s position as ruler), Collette started to understand everything. Finally, her father decided she was ready to set out and complete her mission!

“I am so proud of my little girl! You make me very happy and very proud to have you as my daughter! I love you so much!” he said with a slight smirk that immediately changed into a smile, confusing Collette a bit.

“Thank you, father! I will complete my mission and make you even more proud!” Collette promised and Jilaiya’s smile widened even more.

“Yes, I am sure you will!” her father exclaimed with joy, his smile growing so much that it reached from ear to ear.

“When will I go on my mission, father?” Collette eagerly asked. She wanted to set off with her father as soon as possible. She just couldn’t wait!

“Tomorrow morning!” her father exclaimed, “Sadly, I will not be able to accompany you as King Chester will recognize me, but he will never know about you! Plus, this is your destiny, not mine!”

“Wait… you aren’t coming with me?” Collette cried. WHAT? HOW CAN THIS BE? I CAN’T DO THIS BY MYSELF! WHY DIDN’T FATHER TELL ME? I never should have said yes. Collette thought.

“Yes, I can’t come with you,”

“Then I am NOT GOING!” Collette sobbed. I thought me and father were together on this! How could he do this to me? I can’t do it, I just can’t!

“YES. YOU. ARE. I have come -- I mean YOU have come too far to go back now!” her father shouted, but quickly lowered his tone. He walked up to Collette and stared her in the eye.

Shocked at her father’s tone, Collette replied, “ok, I will go then,” But, inside, all she could think about was the way her father had yelled at her, and the worst part was that she didn’t know why! What did I do wrong? I have to make my father proud of me again! Collette thought.

“Good. It is decided then. Now, get a good night’s rest and I will see you in the morning to send you off.” her father sighed, relieved. He hugged Collette and led her to her bed.

*******

The next morning, Collette woke up excited and scared. Her palms were sweaty and her heart was beating so fast, and so loud, she was afraid it would come bursting out of her chest. She got up out of her small bed and looked into the mirror. She was a small girl, less than average height with silky black hair flowing down her back, although it was usually in a tight side braid. She had large hazel eyes and a round face. When she smiled, her dimples showed.  This is it, this is the day! I am going to do it! I am going on my mission! Collette thought. She would finally make her father proud. She could save the kingdom. It was her destiny. But, deep down inside, Collette wanted to stay in the small house with her father, however moody and strange he may be. She didn’t want to go, to change anything. What would she do if she failed in killing the king? Where would she turn? Collette didn’t want to take that risk. But, she would have to.

“Tut, tut! We haven’t got all day!” Collette’s father burst  into the room, “let me help you pack for your journey. I already packed you some food, so just pack some clothes and one or two personal items and that should be it!”

“Ok,” Collette said. She remembered her father telling her yesterday that the journey to the castle would take about two days and her mission itself would take about another two days, “and you are SURE you can’t come with me?”

“Yes Collette, we went over this already!” her father said impatiently. He gave her a bag with some sandwiches and a bottle of water.

“Yea…” Collette sighed. I really wish someone could come with me though, anyone! I still don’t know everything about this place and I could use a guide and… a friend. She thought sadly.

As if her father had read her mind, he said, “but, do you think I would let you do this alone? NO! I have gotten your old friend Lily to come with you on your mission! You were so close before!”

“Lily?” Collette asked.  I guess I must have forgotten about her too in my coma! Why didn’t anyone tell me about her before though? Is she nice? A million questions buzzed around in Collette’s head.

“Yes, yes! She will be arriving shortly and you will set off together! I am sure that you will make me proud!” her father exclaimed.

“Thank you, father! I will do my best!” Collette responded. All of a sudden, a memory slipped back to Collette. She saw herself, maybe five years old, sitting on the edge of a bed watching her father and another man who looked like the king. They were arguing.

“Don’t do this Jilaiya! Please don’t!” the king said.

“I must Chester! Don’t try to stop me!” Collette’s father said.

“NO! NO!” the king cried, “please brother!”

5-year-old Collette whimpered.

The memory ended. Collette gasped and fell backwards.

“You… you and the king were brothers?” Collette exclaimed. How could he not tell me this? What else is he hiding? What was that memory all about? What was father going to do?

Her father snarled, “yes, the king and I were brothers. But he always got all the attention, all the love and, ultimately, HE became king. And, look what good that did us… WAIT, HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS????”

“I… my… a memory came back to me…” Collette inched away from her father, scared to see what he would do, unsure why he was so upset. Shouldn’t he be happy that I am remembering?

“WHAT?????” her father shouted, “but I made sure… I  WAS sure that your memory wouldn't… couldn't return! What did you remember?”

“Nothing-nothing much- I  just remembered a day from when I was about five,  you and the king were arguing- he was telling you to not do something-I don’t know what-” Collette stammered.

“Oh yea --  that was just… I was just… well, I don't remember now…” her father cleared his throat and continued, leaning back against the wall, “if you do remember anything that confuses you, know that the king is an evil and tricky guy… WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS HERE!”

“Ok… what was that, though? What are you hiding?” Collette asked, confronting her father. Something’s definitely up here… but what? I just know that father is hiding something! And the king, what was he telling father to not do? AHHHH IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER!

“NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING AT ALL!!! We will talk when you complete your mission… there is no time right now…” her father yelled.

DING DONG! The doorbell chimed. No! I need answers, I can’t go on my mission now!  Collette thought and sighed, wait….. MAYBE Lily knows something! I’m sure she can clear things up!

“And that must be Lily now… best be on your way!” her father said cheerfully, “complete your mission and make me proud like I know you will! Then we can talk,”

“Ok, I guess,” Collette was ready for her mission. She smiled and went to open the door. In front of her stood a tall, lean girl who looked about 15. She was really pretty with wavy light brown hair flowing down her back. She had bright, sparkling hazel eyes and a wide smile that made Collette want to smile too. “Hi. I’m Lily. Do you remember me, Collette?” She said.

“No, but I am sure I will!” Collette exclaimed, reaching out to shake Lily’s hand. I am sure she has the answers I need! Collette thought.

“Hi, Jilaiya!” Lily called to Collette’s father behind her, “I’m ready for the mission!”

“Ok then, you should be on your way!” Collette’s father exclaimed, walking up to the door. He turned to Collette, “you will make me proud Collette. It is your destiny. I have faith in you. DON’T DISAPPOINT ME! I know you can do it!”

“Thank you, father, I will. Good bye, see you in a week!” Collette cried. It’s finally time. I am about to do it. This is my destiny. I must fulfill it. I got this. Here we go! Collette thought, and with Lily walked out the door.

“Good bye!” her father called, “good luck!” He chuckled to himself, “you’ll need it.”

******

It had been one day into Collette and Lily’s journey. So far, they had only walked past miles and miles of green countryside. There would be an occasional farm or pasture, but the majority of the path was just flat land. Lily and Collette walked on a worn out, dirt road through the middle of the land. I never noticed how far father lived from other people. There is no one else around! We are practically in the middle of nowhere! Collette thought to herself.

All of a sudden, Lily exclaimed, “there’s the city! We’re almost there!” Collette turned and looked towards the direction Lily was pointing at. She could see a large fairytale castle made from natural stone poking at the horizon in the daylight. It was bright and lively with many people bustling around it, in and out, and with many decorations covering it. There were 3 tall turrets sticking upwards and banners and ribbons around the entire thing. It was made of stone stacked like bricks and when Collette saw it, she got a feeling of deja vu. Just another day’s walk from here… Collette thought. She was bone-weary from walking all through yesterday, but what could she do? She had to complete her mission! Lily began to ramble on and on about her first trip to the city and Collette sighed. She sure does talk a lot! I wonder where Lily was when I first woke up. She is nice and all, but I can’t believe we were ever good friends. And, I am still not any wiser about Chester and father. Ugh, “Um, Lily, I have to ask you something.” Collette started.

“Ok, what?” Lily tilted her head.

“Well, do you know what happened between my father and the king? A memory flashed in my mind when I woke up from coma at my father’s house. It was about my father and the king arguing over something. I wanted to know what it all meant,” Collette confessed, looking her friend questioningly in the eye.

“Oh, um, well, um, I guess, um… OH LOOK, there is the baker’s shop! Let’s get something to eat, then we’ll talk!” Lily said, running towards the shop.

UGH! It’s like everyone trying to avoid talking about this!!! What is everyone hiding? Why? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Collette thought, slowly walking towards the bakery, I can’t take this anymore!

*******

“Ok,” Lily straightened herself up, finishing her bagel, “We’re almost at the castle. What’s the plan?”

“Can’t you tell me about the king and my father first?” Collette pleaded.

“There’s no time!” Lily exclaimed, “We need to hurry up and reclaim the kingdom!”

“Why?” Collette asked.

“It is just that tomorrow it will be this king’s 10 year anniversary of his coronation, and we don’t want him to be able to live to celebrate it,” Lily answered, walking faster.

“OR you just don’t want to answer my questions.” Collette accused Lily, catching up.

“No, it’s not that. We really have to hurry!” Lily desperately pleaded.

“Ok, fine. The plan is to sneak into the castle as servants and kill the king while no one is looking.” Collette whispered, “then, we will tell the kingdom the truth and father will become king and save the kingdom like he was supposed to!”

“Simple enough, let’s do it!” Lily exclaimed.

“Then we HAVE to talk,” Collette demanded. I need those answers and I know Lily has them. After my mission, she can’t stall any longer!  Collette thought to herself happily.

******

An hour later, Collette and Lily had their servant disguises on and had snuck into the castle. The town they were in was quaint and little with a few brick shops and some plain wood houses. But it had a nice, friendly, and happy vibe to it.

“Come on!” Collette whispered to Lily in the castle. They went from hall to hall towards the king’s chambers, using a map Collette had gotten from her father. No one noticed them in their hurried preparation for the king’s 10 year anniversary. Soon, they reached the king’s chambers. It was large with a 4-poster canopy bed in the center. There was a large window on one of the walls, letting in much sunlight that made the room bright and happy. There was much velvet everywhere and a large walk-in closet right across from the bed. The room was a light peach. The king was inside sleeping (and snoring). His resemblance to Jilaiya was shocking.

“Easy!” Lily exclaimed loudly, “just stab him and sneak back out!”

“Shhhh….” Collette chided, but it was too late. Lily’s loud voice had awoken him and he got up.

“SERVANTS, HELP ME!!! ARREST THEM!!!!” he shouted, “wait, is that you, Collette?”

“How do you know who I am?” Collette demanded, afraid and pulled out her knife.

“My baby girl, I would recognize you anywhere! Where have you been? I have been looking everywhere!” he cried.

“What?” Collette dropped the knife she was holding. What? He was looking for me? What does that mean? He should hate me! How does he even know who I am?

“Collette, don’t you remember me? Your father? You disappeared about a week and a half ago! I didn’t know where you had gone! I was so worried! Where have you been?” he sobbed.

“I… I…” Collette couldn’t process. How… what… who is my father? My enemy? My friend? I don’t… I can’t… WHAT??? Collette thought, confused.

“She isn’t anything to you!” Lily jumped back in, stepping in front of Collette.

“Your Jilaiya’s daughter, aren’t you?” the king demanded, “what have you done to my daughter?”

“No, no… I‘m Jilaiya’s daughter!” Collette cried.

“My god. They have ruined you!” the king exclaimed.

“What is happening?” Collette sobbed, breaking down, “who is my family?” Everything is so wrong, so off. I just don’t get it. What is my mission, what is my purpose? She cried and cried.

The king jumped out of his 4-poster canopy bed and knelt down on the floor next to Collette and hugged her. He comforted, “it’s ok, Collette, you’re home.”

EPILOGUE:

Collette smiled and waved for the crowd in front of her from her balcony in the castle. From the moment her father had comforted her, she had known that he was her real family and that this was her real home. She felt it in her. Her father had found a wizard with a potion to help her regain her memory and put that evil Jilaiya behind bars. Turns out he just wanted to use Collette to take over the kingdom for himself! He was jealous of Chester. Lily was also behind bars with her father. Thinking about them still gave Collette the creeps. Now, she was celebrating her father’s 15th anniversary, 5 years later. He was an amazing king. She loved her life and didn’t ever have to doubt her loyalties again. And, she would chose her loyalties wisely. She knew now that her past could never leave her and that her family would always be with her, no matter what. She could never forget them. She could never lose them. Family is everything. But, although all seemed well, Collette had yet to face the many dangers of her new world. She would be queen soon enough. But, with her father by her side, she knew she could do it! She would be an amazing queen and would do her family proud.

This story is about a girl who wakes up in a place she doesn't know about, confronted by a man who claims to be her father. She must go on a mission to to regain her father's position as the rightful king of the land, which is currently ruled by a cruel and careless ruler. But, upon reaching the ruler, she learns something the turns her world upside down. Can she figure out the truth and find her real life again?