In Response to Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua | Teen Ink

In Response to Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

November 13, 2011
By CalvinWu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
CalvinWu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Accepting children for who they are and respecting the decisions they make is what gives “Western” parenting edge over the “Chinese” method. In Amy Chua’s article, “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior,” she describes how stressing academic accomplishment and overriding kids’ personal preferences is good for them in the long term (1). While this tactic may very well produce a straight “A” student in the end, it fails to recognize the limits of academic knowledge. Scholastic information does not teach social skills, creativity, or independent thinking nor does it guarantee the child a successful future or even their compliance. Kids should be left to decide their own life choices. After all, job satisfaction is statistically more important than money. Furthermore, constantly drilling school subjects is no way to spend a childhood spanning of a quarter of a person’s lifetime. Parents should instead acknowledge their kid’s individuality, support their interests, and provide them with unconditional love regardless of how they may turn out.